#9 Iowa @ #4 Ohio State • 2/28/2021 • 3:00 • CBS

Reaction score
After watching Michigan the last few games they look like the best team in the country by a lot.
Right now they certainly are. Baylor isn't themselves after 8 dudes got Covid and didn't do shit during their pause. Gonzaga is right there but Michigan at their best is better in my opinion. Very similar but Michigan is the worst matchup for us in the country. Timme can't do to Luka what Dickinson did. And they're slightly more athletic in other spots. We still played them even for 25 minutes, then it all got away. Good news is we should be a 2 or 3 now and likely not in their region.

Reaction score
350 division 1 head coaches did not offer Keegan Murray a scholarship. There are 351 division 1 teams.
And Kris came in as the better athlete with a higher vert and better defensive reputation. I read through some of Kenyon's posts and articles on them this morning. Kris was better guarding 1-3 and more of a slasher but interior offensive game. He was also thought to be the better rebounder. Keegan the better shooter, little stronger and able to guard inside better. Added 4 inches to his vert since arriving at Iowa according to Kenyan.

Reaction score
Defense up to 59 on kenpom
You can't cherry pick stuff like this so this feels very CF-ish but if you excluded the one 4-game stretch where they lost their minds and Fran went zone the majority of the time, I'd guess they'd be top 40. They were 68 through 14 games, then jumped from 131 to 59 in the past 7 games.

Reaction score
This doesn't really help us in the NCAA Tournament but the coaches have clearly shown that they can adjust the 2nd time around vs. the same opponent. The following is our repeat opponents PPP 1st time vs. 2nd time:

Minnesota- 1.33 to .98
Northwestern- 1.05 to 1.02
Rutgers- 1.06 to 1.01
Indiana- 1.19 to .99 (should've fucking won that game)
MSU- 1.20 to .86
OSU- 1.27 to .86

If that can follow, we're in good shape next Sunday. Wisconsin scored .97 against us the first time.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
1-1 vs (projected) #1s this week, both on the road. Lost @ the 2nd best overall team - after keeping pace for 27+ minutes - and won big @ the 4th best overall team.

I'll take it.
And off of this.... while the record is 1-3 vs said teams, Iowa has played 3 of the 4 projected #1 seeds (currently - at least before this game). And only 1 of those 4 matchups was in Iowa City.

If that's not Strength of Schedule, I don't know wtf is.

Reaction score
I know it works both ways and you could say something similar about the road Rutgers game but fuck it would be nice to have the Minnesota and 2 Indiana games back.
IU home game we fell apart and probably was deserved and needed. The fluke shooting of Brandon Johnson in the Minnesota game was absurd and the only way we lose that game, along with missed FT's. Minnesota game also skewed the defensive numbers a bit because we were okay until they went nuts the last 6-7 minutes from 3.
The 2nd IU game I'm still not entirely sure how we lost other than we didn't have CJ and Luka started missing late and we went 11-30 from 2. Jordan, Jack, Patrick, Ulis, Toussaint went 0-10 from 2. Shot well from 3, shot well from the line. Didn't rebound all that well but that was the biggest weakness.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Honestly, getting a 2 seed in the tourney is about what you’d have wanted going into the year. Winning the Big Ten would’ve been nice but Michigan is REALLY fucking good.

Iowa would beat Illinois by 20 on a neutral court right now.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Illinois is about to get their shit pushed in this week.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
When talking about the bench in the postgame interview, Fran brought up Kris needing to be ready to go. We might see him at some point.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
IU home game we fell apart and probably was deserved and needed. The fluke shooting of Brandon Johnson in the Minnesota game was absurd and the only way we lose that game, along with missed FT's. Minnesota game also skewed the defensive numbers a bit because we were okay until they went nuts the last 6-7 minutes from 3.
The 2nd IU game I'm still not entirely sure how we lost other than we didn't have CJ and Luka started missing late and we went 11-30 from 2. Jordan, Jack, Patrick, Ulis, Toussaint went 0-10 from 2. Shot well from 3, shot well from the line. Didn't rebound all that well but that was the biggest weakness.
You could tell that Brandon Johnson was a bum during the game, but holy shit I didn’t realize how much of a fluke that was. He’s made 11 threes in conference games and fucking 8 of them came in one game against Iowa. If you take away that game against Iowa (I know, I know), he is 3-30 in conference games. What the fuck?!?!?

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
You could tell that Brandon Johnson was a bum during the game, but holy shit I didn’t realize how much of a fluke that was. He’s made 11 threes in conference games and fucking 8 of them came in one game against Iowa. If you take away that game against Iowa (I know, I know), he is 3-30 in conference games. What the fuck?!?!?
The odds an otherwise 10 percent shooter goes 8 for fucking 9 are so absurdly bad it was inevitable it would happen to us and cost us a game.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
At this point in the game, it sure didn't feel like Iowa had a 62% chance to win. Glad to be very wrong.

Screenshot_20210228-192933_Samsung Internet.jpg

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
WHY DID FRAN LEAVE HIM SO OPEN HES A DIVISION ONE PLAYER