All-Time Ferentz Era Worst 2-Deeps

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Making this list was a fun exercise and shows a lot about Iowa in the last 23 years.

- OL and DL have been outstanding and was hard to fill out. We actually have some decent players listed on there that don't really belong.
- RB was much harder than I thought it was going to be. Iowa has had a lot of decent running backs and very little who were bad
- Arguably the strongest coach and position (Phil Parker and DB) was one of the easiest to fill out.
- WR is not surprisingly the weakest position under Ferentz. We have had some truly awful players there.
- When the QB is bad, they are TERRIBLE

If Ferentz would ever truly invest in the QB and WR positions and schemes to modernize a bit, Iowa would be a really scary program.

thrawn

Reaction score
DB is easy to fill out because it’s really hard to hide a bad DB. Often they improve (Moss) but even on a good defense a bad DB can be worth clear points for the other team (Jermari Harris vs. Michigan)

douglasbader

Reaction score
DB is easy to fill out because it’s really hard to hide a bad DB. Often they improve (Moss) but even on a good defense a bad DB can be worth clear points for the other team (Jermari Harris vs. Michigan)
This is fair and correct. Not shocking that WR/DB are both positions on the same island and stick out like a sore thumb. Same with the QB.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Position rankings under Ferentz.....

1. OL
2. TE
3. DL
4. DB
5. LB
6. Special Teams
7. QB
8. RB/FB
9. WR

thrawn

Reaction score
The WRs under Copeland are clearly better than they have been. I have always wondered what the overall deal with Erik Campbell was. That was the best run for WR they’ve had under Kirk, he left so GD could hire Bobby Kennedy.

You could blame Iowa, but his career since was CFL, one year of operations at Michigan, UConn, Delaware, Bowling Green. Just weird after coaching Michigan when they always had good WR for Carr and then DJK/McNutt here.

J1973s

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Let's get the negativity out before the bowl game, boyz. We might have even done this before, but I'll get it started. Has to be someone that made enough of an impact to matter. Can even be someone "better" than others, but was so atrocious when it mattered they belong.

Debate it out below and I'll update this post as we go. Here is something to get us started....

QB - Jake Christensen, Spencer Petras
RB - Greg Garmon, Ivory Kelly-Martin
FB - Tom Busch, Brady Ross
WR - Paul Cheney Jr., Jerminic Smith
WR - Trey Stross, Herb Grigsby
TE - Zach Derby, Brad Herman
OT - Blake Larson, Nick DeJong
OG - Dan Doering, Travis Meade
C - Mike Elgin, Tommy Gaul
OG - Landan Paulsen, Justin Britt
OT - Jack Plumb, Matt Tobin

DE - Lebron Daniel, Mike Hardy
DT - Steve Bigach, Faith Ekakitie
DT - Thomas Nardo, Simple Jack Kallenberger
DE - Joe Gaglione, Joe Forgy
LB - Troy Johnson, Reggie Spearman
LB -Bo Bower, Grant Steen
LB - Quinton Alston, Kevin Worthy
CB - Tim Dodge, Greg Castillo
S - Tanner Miller, Collin Sleeper
S - Harold Dalton, Myles Taylor
CB - Adam Shada, Willie Lowe

P - Colten Rastetter****
K - Trent Mossbrucker,

PR - Max Pooper,
KR - Jonathan Parker,

****Denotes the worst player in the Ferentz era regardless of position
FYI, Mossbrucker is now on the Nebrantska staff.

Reaction score
The WRs under Copeland are clearly better than they have been. I have always wondered what the overall deal with Erik Campbell was. That was the best run for WR they’ve had under Kirk, he left so GD could hire Bobby Kennedy.

You could blame Iowa, but his career since was CFL, one year of operations at Michigan, UConn, Delaware, Bowling Green. Just weird after coaching Michigan when they always had good WR for Carr and then DJK/McNutt here.
Don’t know if it explains that or if it’s fully accurate but he had a reputation for being really lazy. Players all seemed to like him though.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Let's get the negativity out before the bowl game, boyz. We might have even done this before, but I'll get it started. Has to be someone that made enough of an impact to matter. Can even be someone "better" than others, but was so atrocious when it mattered they belong.

Debate it out below and I'll update this post as we go. Here is something to get us started....

P - Colten Rastetter****
K - Trent Mossbrucker,

PR - Max Pooper,
KR - Jonathan Parker,

A collection of Kirk's worst players probably would still finish as one of ISU's all time top ten teams

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Do you think this all time worse team wins a game against Iowa’s schedule this year? Probably could have given Indiana or Northwestern a run for their money.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The other thing to look at here is recruiting rankings. QB's are both 4* guys. Multiple 4* and 5* guys on the OL. RB is a 4*.

I think other than 4* Ekakatie, everyone else on the defense is a 2* or walk-on.

Fair and Balanced

Calls All Soda Coke
Reaction score

P - Colten Rastetter****
K - Trent Mossbrucker,

PR - Max Pooper,
KR - Jonathan Parker,

That never catch the fucking ball douchebag
Colin Sandeman was worse than Pooper and Rastetter is the worst player in college football history.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Tanner Miller was a Doyle favorite. Weightroom warrior that didnt translate to the field.

GoHawks26

Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Am I the only one who still has PTSD when I think about Shane Hall at safety on the early 2000's KF teams. He might have been the worst safety that played a significant amount of games in the history of college football. Couldn't tackle, couldn't cover - just awful.

Shane Hall definitely belongs on your list.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
No DB got twisted into a pretzel more than Plez Atkins, who I think was good for one year, but horrible the rest.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
No DB got twisted into a pretzel more than Plez Atkins, who I think was good for one year, but horrible the rest.
The fucker was perpetually 3 steps behind his responsibility and celebrated every overthrow and drop like he had just ripped it out.

I hate him as much as I hate anyone who has ever walked this planet.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
The fucker was perpetually 3 steps behind his responsibility and celebrated every overthrow and drop like he had just ripped it out.

I hate him as much as I hate anyone who has ever walked this planet.
He was our student teacher in gym class my senior year. Okay guy. My one conversation with him went thusly:

"Who was the toughest receiver you ever defended?"

"Terry Glenn."

This has been The Insider Corner with wodnergrape.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Remember when D Rob went from the biggest pussy ever to safety killing machine to NFL draft pick to NFL starter to actual killing machine with automatic weapons in the trunk?

that was cool.

neshawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
AJ Blazek at center instead of Elgin. I remember a walk on guard named BJ Van Something who started one year but never was put on scholarship.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
AJ Blazek at center instead of Elgin. I remember a walk on guard named BJ Van Something who started one year but never was put on scholarship.
"VanderVelden", maybe? From either West Lyon or Central Lyon?

Reaction score

I would maintain that the Erb years were the glory years. Kasper (one year, 82 catches), Hill (2 years), Brown (4 years), CJ Jones, Razor Ramon (4 years), walk-on Matt Melloy, Hinkel, Solomon, Holloway, Brodell (4 years. 39 rec, 5 TD, 18.6/rec as a soph in '06 before he exploded his leg in '07), Dom Douglas (1 year), DJK (2 yrs), James Cleveland (2 yrs). Journeyman Terry Strauss had his highest quality year in '07, at 17 ypc and 4 TD. Disappointments were Herb Grigsby, Calvin Davis and James Townsend.

I bristle at the "look at what Campbell did at Michigan" comments. Yeah, tough gig. A real miracle worker. McNutt was his claim to fame at Iowa (DJK was already good) and I suspect he'd have done fine under anyone. His big recruiting catch was Keenan Davis, I suppose. From Cedar Rapids. Tevaun Smith. Derek Willies?

I thought Kennedy did a good on-field job. He salvaged a decent year out of Don Shumpert, who'd had 6 rec, 29 yds in 3 years under Campbell. MVB and Tevaun Smith were very good. Got what Hilllyer was capable of. Made a little something out of McCarron. Mitchell and Harris weren't P5 receivers, so not his fault. Failed with Jerminic Smith and recruiting in general, but recruiting generally sucked from '08-15. Had bad breaks with Derek Willies being a flake and Jay Scheel having no knees. Damond Powell not coming in until training camp in his first year hurt some. He had finally recruited a couple of good receivers in Holmes and Corrales, but then effed up in the Eno scandal and lost them and his gig.

I'd say the jury is pretty out on Copeland. We've had a bit more talent (ISM and Brandon Smith and Easley coming in his first year was a good break), but I don't see a "wow, look what he did with that guy" case. Hutson, Matthews and Lockett came and went without recording a catch. I'd give much of the "credit" to the quarterbacks, but it seems like we've seen more WR drops in the past 5 years than just about anytime in memory.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
I thought Copeland might be a pretty good recruiter, up until this class. Last year’s was solid. Having dogshit to sell probably makes it a really hard gig.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
Indicative of changing times. Today that would be targeting and would have got him tossed. The announcer even goes on to say how that was a clean hit b/c he didn't lower his head (crown of helmet).

3rd Generation Hawk

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
A late submission, but Dominic Alvis deserves some consideration for DE. He gave up outside contain more than any Ferentz DE that I can remember. It was truly painful.

3rd Generation Hawk

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
3 yrs starter who never earned all conference honors. How many guys on Iowa's defenses do you think fit that criteria? Adam Shada and?