Best Iowa RB since 1990

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
An earlier discussion got me thinking about Ladell Betts. He is having a very nice NFL career and would have been a monster in college had he not been stuck behind some awful offensive lines.

Sederick Shaw was incredible.

Russell was good but benifited from superior line play.

Tavian Banks had incredible speed but was usually tackled by the first guy to touch him.

Reaction score
scottsdalehawk said:
An earlier discussion got me thinking about Ladell Betts. He is having a very nice NFL career and would have been a monster in college had he not been stuck behind some awful offensive lines.

Tavian Banks had incredible speed but was usually tackled by the first guy to touch him.
And it might have been Tim Dwight, had Tavian and Sedrick not already been there.

TD's freshman year, it was pathetic that Terry Ryan started...puh-lease...in front of Shaw, Banks and Dwight? That was when I knew Hayden's mind was beginning to go.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
scottsdalehawk said:
Forgot to mention Nick Bell, that man was a beast.

The Illinois game in Champaign. Man, he went off that day.

PipeDaddy

Nanny State Leach Enabler
Reaction score
BuffettHawk said:
scottsdalehawk said:

The Illinois game in Champaign. Man, he went off that day.
I've been trying desperately to find video of the Michigan State game where Shaw ran over them for 200+ yards.

Mr. Hawk

Traitorous Cunt / Just a smarter NLP
Reaction score
Ladell Betts was the best Iowa RB of the last 20 years.

Thread over.

PipeDaddy

Nanny State Leach Enabler
Reaction score
Mr. Hawk said:

Thread over.
I knew that was coming. But for pure college career I'll still give the nod to Shaw.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
PipeDaddy said:
Mr. Hawk said:

Thread over.
I knew that was coming. But for pure college career I'll still give the nod to Shaw.
Betts might be the most talented however Shaw did have the better college career. I wish Betts played on 2002 Iowa team. He could have approached 2,000 yards.

Reaction score
scottsdalehawk said:
PipeDaddy said:
Mr. Hawk said:

Thread over.
Betts might be the most talented however Shaw did have the better college career. I wish Betts played on 2002 Iowa team. He could have approached 2,000 yards.
If Betts had played behind a decent line, his numbers would have been insane.

Granny36

Australian Economist
Reaction score
HawkInGopherland said:
And it might have been Tim Dwight, had Tavian and Sedrick not already been there.

TD's freshman year, it was pathetic that Terry Ryan started...puh-lease...in front of Shaw, Banks and Dwight? That was when I knew Hayden's mind was beginning to go.
Uh, that was Ryan Terry and he split time with Sedrick. Keep in mind, there is a lot more to being a running back than pure running ability, such as being a good blocker and knowing blitz protection.

Reaction score
Granny36 said:
HawkInGopherland said:

Uh, that was Ryan Terry and he split time with Sedrick. Keep in mind, there is a lot more to being a running back than pure running ability, such as being a good blocker and knowing blitz protection.
Granny 36, my apologies, I didn't know that Terry Ryan was amongst us ;)

Reaction score
scottsdalehawk said:

This thread should begin and end with Sedrick Shaw.

Reaction score
FM said:
scottsdalehawk said:

This thread should begin and end with Sedrick Shaw.
I remember thinking during his freshman year he would win the heisman.

He had a pretty good ability to be shifty when it worked, and strong when it worked. That's not coachable.

Reaction score
rdubbs said:
scottsdalehawk said:
Exactly my thoughts!
Didn't we call him The Bowling Ball or something like that? I always loved to watch Nick run. He'd roll through nearly everyone, and if you went for him above the waist, you were toast. He kind of felt like a slightly smaller Bettis, but the poor guy injured himself preseason and was never the same again. Fate sucks sometimes...

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
BrAd Hominem said:
rdubbs said:
scottsdalehawk said:
Exactly my thoughts!
Didn't we call him The Bowling Ball or something like that? I always loved to watch Nick run. He'd roll through nearly everyone, and if you went for him above the waist, you were toast. He kind of felt like a slightly smaller Bettis, but the poor guy injured himself preseason and was never the same again. Fate sucks sometimes...
A smaller Bettis with much better speed. As far a natural talent goes, Bell might be the best of the bunch. Sometimes it was downright laughable watching people try to tackle him.

Reaction score
BrAd Hominem said:
rdubbs said:
scottsdalehawk said:
Exactly my thoughts!
Actually, it was Richard Bass who was dubbed by Hayden as a "rolling ball of butcher knives." But that definitely described Nick Bell too...and Tony Stewart was no slouch either...

Reaction score
Tony Stewart has not been mentioned.

Imo...

1. Sedrick Shaw ....lived on the same floor with Sedrick and he was in my rhetoric class (nice guy).

2. Tony Stewart

3. Ladell Betts

4. Nick Bell

5. Mike Saunders

...I thought Tavian Banks was a little overrated, he got most of his yards against weak opponents, and couldn't really run up the middle. However, he played really well at Penn State in 1996.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
atemp said:

Imo...

1. Sedrick Shaw ....lived on the same floor with Sedrick and he was in my rhetoric class (nice guy).

2. Tony Stewart

3. Ladell Betts

4. Nick Bell

5. Mike Saunders

...I thought Tavian Banks was a little overrated, he got most of his yards against weak opponents, and couldn't really run up the middle. However, he played really well at Penn State in 1996.
Tony Stewart was pre 1990.

Reaction score
scottsdalehawk said:
atemp said:

Imo...

2. Tony Stewart

3. Ladell Betts

4. Nick Bell

5. Mike Saunders

Incorrect. he played in 1990.

Reaction score
FM said:
scottsdalehawk said:
atemp said:

Imo...

2. Tony Stewart

3. Ladell Betts

4. Nick Bell

5. Mike Saunders

Yeah, he split carries with Nick Bell. He was on the 1991 Rose Bowl team.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
atemp said:
FM said:
scottsdalehawk said:
atemp said:

Imo...

2. Tony Stewart

3. Ladell Betts

4. Nick Bell

5. Mike Saunders

My mistake. I was thinking of Tony Hudson.

Reaction score
scottsdalehawk said:
atemp said:
FM said:
scottsdalehawk said:
atemp said:

Imo...

2. Tony Stewart

3. Ladell Betts

4. Nick Bell

5. Mike Saunders

My mistake. I was thinking of Tony Hudson.
Do you mean David Hudson?

Reaction score
I will never forget the run Shaw had in the Alamo Bowl v. TTech, where he did a lot of dancing and juking around some defenders, then ran the eff over the last guy into the end zone.

He gets my vote.

Toon Hawkeye

Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Re:

1- Ladell Betts
2- Sedrick Shaw
3- Tavian Banks
4- Nick Bell
5- Fred Russell