Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz named Offensive Coordinator

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Were we dicks to him? I don't feel like we were inordinately dicks to him. I'm sure coff has said worse about 3-4 posters in an afternoon.
I gave him a good razzing, but it was just that. I liked to call him out for the sexual tension between him and Deace, which is wear the brushing the hair thing came from.

If he took it personally, I accept.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Were we dicks to him? I don't feel like we were inordinately dicks to him. I'm sure coff has said worse about 3-4 posters in an afternoon.
I gave him a good razzing, but it was just that. I liked to call him out for the sexual tension between him and Deace, which is wear the brushing the hair thing came from.

If he took it personally, I accept.
Wear!! Lolol

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Assuming this is the new position everyone is referring to, can it not be filled until the final vote is taken in the spring (according to Halstead)? Might delay filling out staffs until after Feb signing period.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
It allows Raih to finish the playoffs with the packers

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
http://footballscoop.com/The-Scoop/

Iowa: Sources tell FootballScoop running backs / special teams coordinator Chris White and receivers coach Bobby Kennedy will not have their contracts renewed. White has coached at Iowa the past four seasons and was with the Minnesota Vikings for four seasons prior to that coaching special teams. Kennedy has coached receivers the past 15 seasons at Iowa, Colorado, Texas and Washington and won the FootballScoop Receivers Coach of the Year in 2008 while at Texas.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score

Iowa: Sources tell FootballScoop running backs / special teams coordinator Chris White and receivers coach Bobby Kennedy will not have their contracts renewed. White has coached at Iowa the past four seasons and was with the Minnesota Vikings for four seasons prior to that coaching special teams. Kennedy has coached receivers the past 15 seasons at Iowa, Colorado, Texas and Washington and won the FootballScoop Receivers Coach of the Year in 2008 while at Texas.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score

Reaction score

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
This past week has been better for Iowa football than anything in the past 5 years outside of the 2015 undefeated season/rose bowl. This is great news (again).

Reaction score
In all seriousness this is great news. Need to clean house on O side of ball other than Ferentz and L. Woods.
I wonder if they would consider moving Reese back to OL and let Woods take the DL
I tend to believe the Blazek to OL coach rumors. They have wanted him here for awhile, but having Brian at OL(and the 9 coach limit) was blocking it. Going to 10 coaches would even make it possible to move Levar back to defense and still hire full offensive staff.

Phil - DC+DBs
Seth Wallace - LBs
Reece Morgan - DL
Bell - Asst DL

Brian - OC
Hire (Blazek?) - OL
Hire(Raih?) - QB
Hire(???) RBs
Hire(???) - WR/TE

And then maybe put Levar back with the strong side LBs? That’s the position he played here. Could just leave him at TE too, but that would be 6 offensive coaches and only 4(really 3.5 with Bell's other duties) defensive coaches.

I strongly oppose getting a DB coach and having Phil be only the DC. He's one of the best DB coaches in the country and he needs to continue in that role.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I don't even give a shit about getting embarrassed in the Outback Bowl at this point. They are going to have 4 new assistants and likely 3 of them younger and better recruiters. It is exactly what they needed.

Reaction score
Reaction score
In all seriousness this is great news. Need to clean house on O side of ball other than Ferentz and L. Woods.
I wonder if they would consider moving Reese back to OL and let Woods take the DL

I could see Reese retiring and LeVar moving to DL. I don't want Morgan to retire, think he's great, but could see him taking on more of a film study/consultant role.

HawkLax6

Reaction score
I tend to believe the Blazek to OL coach rumors. They have wanted him here for awhile, but having Brian at OL(and the 9 coach limit) was blocking it. Going to 10 coaches would even make it possible to move Levar back to defense and still hire full offensive staff.

Phil - DC+DBs
Seth Wallace - LBs
Reece Morgan - DL
Bell - Asst DL

Brian - OC
Hire (Blazek?) - OL
Hire(Raih?) - QB
Hire(???) RBs
Hire(???) - WR/TE

And then maybe put Levar back with the strong side LBs? That’s the position he played here. Could just leave him at TE too, but that would be 6 offensive coaches and only 4(really 3.5 with Bell's other duties) defensive coaches.

I strongly oppose getting a DB coach and having Phil be only the DC. He's one of the best DB coaches in the country and he needs to continue in that role.
I think you could have Brian be the OC and the TE coach if you move someone else (Morgan or Blazek) to OL.

Reaction score
I think you could have Brian be the OC and the TE coach if you move someone else (Morgan or Blazek) to OL.
Good call on Brian doubling at TE coach, that would be perfect and fits his prior experience.

douglasbader

Reaction score
There is no way they are going to want a 33 year old first time Offensive Coordinator to have to coach a position as well, especially now they get 10 coaches.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
I hate to be on the name every ex Iowa player in coaching train (because its unrealstic and nice to get some outside persepctive) but maybe Jason Manson will get a look. He's got a decent resume, some recruiting connections and played here with B. Ferentz.

http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/sports/fball/coaches/manson_jason00

He's now coaching something called Cpaital Prep

http://www.gametimect.com/csc-football-2016-capital-prep-achievement-first-preview/
Manson, a native of Bloomfield, CT, graduated from Iowa University in 2006
:icon_neutral:

HawkLax6

Reaction score
There is no way they are going to want a 33 year old first time Offensive Coordinator to have to coach a position as well, especially now they get 10 coaches.
I was just saying if you had to give him a position, TE would be a good one since he has experience coaching that position and the TE end up working with WR and/or OL a bunch of the time as well.

Match34

Is Not Funny
Reaction score

Reaction score
I don't even give a shit about getting embarrassed in the Outback Bowl at this point. They are going to have 4 new assistants and likely 3 of them younger and better recruiters. It is exactly what they needed.
crushing the offseason. in the last week Wadley stayed and they got rid of the three coaches we wanted them to.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score

Phil - DC+DBs
Seth Wallace - LBs
Reece Morgan - DL
Bell - Asst DL

Brian - OC
Hire (Blazek?) - OL
Hire(Raih?) - QB
Hire(???) RBs
Hire(???) - WR/TE

I agree that Blazek is probably a strong candidate but thought moving Reese back would give the offensive side a veteran presence.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
crushing the offseason. in the last week Wadley stayed and they got rid of the three coaches we wanted them to.
We need an edgy hashtag

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
Blazek has a pretty good bio. I had forgotten he has some OC experience

AJ Blazek is in his first season as offensive line coach for the Scarlet Knights after being named to the position by head coach Chris Ash on Dec. 24, 2015. Blazek was a Big Ten student-athlete at Iowa and spent the previous three seasons on the staff at Western Illinois.

Blazek worked as the offensive line coach and the run game coordinator for Western Illinois from 2013-15. In each season, the Leathernecks had a 1000-yard rusher and an All-Missouri Valley Football Conference offensive line selection.

In 2015, WIU earned an at-large bid in the FCS playoffs and advanced to the second round. The team averaged nearly 400 yards of total offense per game and finished the season ranked No. 8 in the nation in fewest tackles for loss allowed. Running back Nikko Watson finished 11th in the nation with 108.7 rushing yards per game, while sophomore center Jacob Judd also collected all-conference recognition.

In his first year, Blazek helped the offensive line improve nearly 30 spots nationally in sacks allowed from the previous 2012 season, and more than 60 spots compared from two seasons before that. Despite using six different starting lineups along the front five (mainly due to injuries), the offense registered eight 100-yard rushing efforts during the 2013 season and nearly scored as many points as the previous two seasons combined.

Prior to arriving at Western Illinois, Blazek had a four-year stint at Winona State in Minnesota. He worked with the offensive line and tight ends and was the co-offensive coordinator in his final three seasons with the Warriors. Blazek was named the 2012 “Assistant Coach of the Year” by the American Football Coaches Association.

During his four years, Blazek coached 14 of his position players to All-Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference honors - including four All-NSIC offensive linemen and one All-NSIC tight end last season. Twice during his three years as co-offensive coordinator Simmons led the conference in rushing. In 2012, the Warriors broke the program and NSIC record for total offense. The Warriors also won the 2012 Mineral Water Bowl, finishing 10-2.

Before joining Winona State, Blazek was the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach at Fort Hays State (2005-08) in Kansas. He coached five offensive linemen to all-conference honors and one ESPN Academic All-American, Jordan Stricker, in 2008. Offensive tackle Wes Yarbough signed a NFL free agent contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Blazek began his coaching career at his alma mater, the University of Iowa. He coached for four seasons (2001-04), the first year as a student assistant before becoming a graduate assistant coach. The Hawkeyes captured two Big Ten Conference titles during his time, and won bowl games versus Florida and LSU.

In 2003 while working with the offensive line, Blazek helped tutor the future No. 2 overall NFL draft pick, Robert Gallery. He also coached six other NFL draft picks at Iowa: Eric Steinbach (Cincinnati/2nd), Bruce Nelson (Carolina/2nd round), Seth Olsen (Denver/4th), Ben Sobieski (Buffalo/5th), Pete McMahon (Oakland/6th) and Mike Elgin (New England/7th).

Following his All-America and Academic All-America career at Butler County Community College, Blazek was a two-year letterwinner at center for the Hawkeyes. He earned All-Big Ten Conference honors in 2000 and was a co-captain during that 2000 season. Twice he earned Academic All-Big Ten Conference honors.

Before he began his collegiate coaching career, Blazek played two seasons for the Chicago Rush of the Arena Football League. He was the recipient of the 2001 Walter Payton Award for community service.

A native of Wichita, Kan., Blazek received his bachelor's degree in Health Promotions in 2001, then a master's degree in Sports Administration in 2004, both at Iowa.

Reaction score
I agree that Blazek is probably a strong candidate but thought moving Reese back would give the offensive side a veteran presence.
Certainly a fair point, he would obviously be good there as well. It just seems like they really want to get Blazek back here, or at least tried in the past. I would guess that in the above configuration with Raih and Blazek, either the WR or RB coach would be a veteran guy.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Here is sort of the most ideal scenario now that they have 11 coaches total.....

DC/DB - Phil Parker
OC - Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz
OL - AJ Blazek
QB - David Raih
TE - Levar Woods
WR - New Hire
RB/ST - New Hire
DL - Kelvin Bell
LB - Seth Wallace
DL/OL Coordinator or Mentor or whatever the fuck you want to call it - Reese Morgan

This would give Brian full support on the offensive side of the ball. It would also give the DL/OL some mentor help from Reese Morgan.

Reaction score
I'm going to have a serious case of coaching search blue balls if Raih isn't hired....The thought of him as the QB coach makes me really whore knee.

Reaction score
Isn't Kelvin Bell too busy with the recruiting side to be a full-time position coach? The new OL coach will already have Kirk and Brian looking over his shoulder all the time anyway, not sure that he needs Reece as well.

Reaction score

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
One thing I remember about Blazek was his unwaivering belief that things were going to turn around after KF's first 2 seasons. I don't recall the exact quote but I remember a story in the paper when he graduated about how he was disappointed that he wouldn't be a part of the turnaround but was firm in his belief that it was coming.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Finally started taking Halo's advice. This season is on us. If we suck, we're all fired.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
A KF quote on AJ from last January. You just know Kirk wants him

"I just think he's tremendous," Ferentz said. "He's got a great personality, almost infectious that way. He'll do a great job recruiting for them. Everybody is going to love him -- parents, prospects, coaches, etc. He comes from a great family. He's got a really good vibe to him. He's just a very positive, can-do type person and more importantly he's really built a great foundation from the coaching standpoint."