**DePaul vs. Iowa - 11/11/19 - 7pm - FS1**

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
If I were a young black man, I'd probably want to play for someone urban, young and hip, like John Calipari, Mike Kresfewesfafaki, Roy Williams, Tom Izzo or Bill Self.
Those guys all have a shit ton better players in the league story to tell than Fran, as well as significantly more presence and magnanimity. Comparing Fran to any of them in terms of appeal is ridiculous

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
If I were a young black man, I'd probably want to play for someone urban, young and hip, like John Calipari, Mike Kresfewesfafaki, Roy Williams, Tom Izzo or Bill Self.
Those guys all have a shit ton better players in the league story to tell than Fran, as well as significantly more presence and magnanimity. Comparing Fran to any of them in terms of appeal is ridiculous
No shit. That's exactly the point. They're also middle aged+ white dorks.

Gushawk

Reaction score
A fucking P5 basketball coach does not field a white out starting line up if he and his program has average or better appeal to African-American basketball players. Jesus Christ.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
No shit, that is the entire point.

If you suddenly put Fran in charge of Kentucky or North Carolina he is going to have the same sort of appeal.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
A fucking P5 basketball coach does not field a white out starting line up if he and his program has average or better appeal to African-American basketball players. Jesus Christ.
If every year iowa could start a lineup consisting of three four-star recruits, a rivals 150 recruit, and an unranked State player of the year would you be happy?

Gushawk

Reaction score

If you suddenly put Fran in charge of Kentucky or North Carolina he is going to have the same sort of appeal.
Disagree, although he would certainly sign and player fewer weak, awkward whites, particularly at Kentucky.

He’s not interchangeable with any of those guys as a recruiter. He’d recruit worse than all of them where they are, and they’d all recruit better than him at Iowa, if they switched spots tomorrow.

Gushawk

Reaction score
If every year iowa could start a lineup consisting of three four-star recruits, a rivals 150 recruit, and an unranked State player of the year would you be happy?
How many of them are weak and/or slow?

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Lol at unranked state player of the year.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

Disagree, although he would certainly sign and player fewer weak, awkward whites, particularly at Kentucky.

He’s not interchangeable with any of those guys as a recruiter. He’d recruit worse than all of them where they are, and they’d all recruit better than him at Iowa, if they switched spots tomorrow.
If you changed all of those guys name tomorrow to John Smith or Roy Wilson or Bill Dean they wouldn't carry the same recruiting impact at Iowa even if you left their personality the same.

More importantly, all of those guys have slimy assistants with questionable connection or their University allows them to outright cheat on academics or pay players.

I'm not arguing that Fran is some good recruiter, he obviously isn't at this point, but the whole black players thing is stupid overall.

Gushawk

Reaction score

If you changed all of those guys name tomorrow to John Smith or Roy Wilson or Bill Dean they wouldn't carry the same recruiting impact at Iowa even if you left their personality the same.

More importantly, all of those guys have slimy assistants with questionable connection or their University allows them to outright cheat on academics or pay players.

I'm not arguing that Fran is some good recruiter, he obviously isn't at this point, but the whole black players thing is stupid overall.
I don’t at all question his desire or effort to land good black players. I just think his ability is lacking.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I don’t know why it’s weird that a team that’s located in a 97% white state, that is also the preferred college destination for most high school players in that state, would have a bunch of white dudes.

would you prefer that the state of iowa didn’t produce D1 players?

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Reaction score
I don’t know why it’s weird that a team that’s located in a 97% white state, that is also the preferred college destination for most high school players in that state, would have a bunch of white dudes.

Counterpoint: ISU’s rotation over Fran’s time at Iowa.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Kansas is similarly white. So is Oregon. Or West Virginia.

We need a better recruiter. They do exist.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score

You’re fucking retarded

Gushawk

Reaction score

You’re fucking retarded
You’re a bitter ender.

champion_thedrinker

L. Wade Jr.
Reaction score
All this talk about race, if Iowa lands LaFrentz, and then Collison/Hinrich Iowa basketball might be in a different place right now.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

Counterpoint: ISU’s rotation over Fran’s time at Iowa.
If kids they offered chose ISU over iowa, ISU would be more white.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score

You’re fucking retarded
You’re a bitter ender.
If you were paying attention you’d know that isn’t true dipshit.

Reaction score
I don't think anyone here is calling Fran a racist or saying black kids don't like him. The point is that his recruiting efforts have landed him a bunch of cracker ass crackers. When recruits get on campus for their visits, I think seeing that hurts Fran's chances of landing the kid.
Fran has landed a ton of black kids as well. His last 7 recruits are black. Guys like Tyler Cook and others have no problem signing with Iowa.

The white guys he has signed or transferred in are largely highly rated players like Wieskamp, Garza, Woodbury, Gesell, Uthoff, Patrick, etc...

All of this narrative is fucking dumb.
I really don't give and eff about this argument...but I keep seeing this posted. Are we not considering Patrick McCaffrey a recruit?

JD720

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I don't think anyone here is calling Fran a racist or saying black kids don't like him. The point is that his recruiting efforts have landed him a bunch of cracker ass crackers. When recruits get on campus for their visits, I think seeing that hurts Fran's chances of landing the kid.
Fran has landed a ton of black kids as well. His last 7 recruits are black. Guys like Tyler Cook and others have no problem signing with Iowa.

The white guys he has signed or transferred in are largely highly rated players like Wieskamp, Garza, Woodbury, Gesell, Uthoff, Patrick, etc...

I really don't give and eff about this argument...but I keep seeing this posted. Are we not considering Patrick McCaffrey a recruit?
Patrick is #8 going backwards. The 5 this year, Evelyn and Toussaint are more recent.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
Reaction score

Patrick is #8 going backwards. The 5 this year, Evelyn and Toussaint are more recent.
Gotcha.

Gushawk

Reaction score
If you were paying attention you’d know that isn’t true dipshit.
It’s ok. Some people are just born with a natural affinity for bathing in mediocrity or worse.
Since mepo has never won anything ever I’m sure you know all about that.
I got the hell out of there at the earliest possible moment and never returned. Early evidence of lack of patience and contentment with mediocrity or worse, I suppose.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
iowa basketball has never been in a position where we can pass up 4* players just because they are white. If we get there, great, but adding talent throughout the roster needs to be our main priority.

Reaction score
iowa basketball has never been in a position where we can pass up 4* players just because they are white. If we get there, great, but adding talent throughout the roster needs to be our main priority.
I don't know anyone that would argue that. All I'm trying to say is that we rarely land a 4* black player because they would rather go to a school with other black players.

And I think everyone's frustration is that these 4* white kids we get are being run all over because they lack quickness and athleticism, for the most part.

Gushawk

Reaction score
And strength. Don’t forget lack of strength.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Gesell was the exception. He was a great athlete. Just couldn’t shoot.

And Uthoff and White.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Well here’s the conundrum. People with that opinion obviously think that the recruiting services are wrong in that they don’t adequately assess strength and quickness in their rankings.

So the other options are hope we get black Top 100 type kids somehow or to take chances on lesser rated black players in an attempt to get some diversity. we have tried the latter in the past- the 2015 class sucked, but it’s reasonable to say the roster composition perhaps helped to land Cook in 2016.

I think opting for lower ranked black kids over ranked white kids is a huge, stupid risk especially when you are in a white state. Through attrition you occasionally you end up with lineups like this year but we also started 4 whiteys in 2015 and 2006 and not too many people complained.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm 35 and I've never watched an Iowa team win a conference title, we've gone 3 coaches without a Sweet 16, there is no such thing as a huge risk when it comes to Iowa basketball.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I'm 35 and I've never watched an Iowa team win a conference title, we've gone 3 coaches without a Sweet 16, there is no such thing as a huge risk when it comes to Iowa basketball.
you enjoyed the lick years?

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
I think opting for lower ranked black kids over ranked white kids is a huge, stupid risk especially when you are in a white state. Through attrition you occasionally you end up with lineups like this year but we also started 4 whiteys in 2015 and 2006 and not too many people complained.
these two posts pretty much sum up why people think you're retarded a lot of the time.

#alwayshelping

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
these two posts pretty much sum up why people think you're retarded a lot of the time.

#alwayshelping
so you don’t see a difference in being competitive with a 2 seed in the round of 32 and starting Cully Payne and Devan Bawinkel?

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

#alwayshelping
so you don’t see a difference in being competitive with a 2 seed in the round of 32 and starting Cully Payne and Devan Bawinkel?
If the next guy sucks, we can fire him too.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm not saying Fire Fran, btw. I am saying, if the DePaul game doesn't prove to be an anomaly, and they are repeatedly outmatched, then make a move.

I mean look at the 2020 class, what is the risk?

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
“The University of Iowa is seeking a motivated self-starter for the role of head men’s basketball coach. You will be expected to make the Sweet 16 in year 2. You will be given virtually no home recruiting base and you cannot cheat”

Can’t wait to see the applications pile in!

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Year 2?

Iowa will have the same pool of potential coaches as they always do. Assistants looking to make the leap, or mid-major head coaches.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Well, I guess that settles it. Fran and a BYUesque roster (but consistently weaker) is the most we can realistically hope for.