Do you want Fran to stay or go?

Do you want Fran to stay or go?

• Total voters

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
Correct. It's one thing to be fine with coach turnover. It's another thing to think about what it would mean for your subsequent coaching search if your coach leaves for Temple due to perceived lack of donor support.
Incorrect. Perhaps it would be a boon to the subsequent coaching search due to donors seeing a guy leave who went 0-13 in finishing top 16 in the country.

The Criminal ruined you people.

Oop looks like I got scooped.

WestMifflin

Traitorous Wisconsinite
Reaction score
Incorrect. Perhaps it would be a boon to the subsequent coaching search due to donors seeing a guy leave who went 0-13 in finishing top 16 in the country.

The Criminal ruined you people.

Oop looks like I got scooped.
It's dumb to say making a Sweet Sixteen is finishing in the top 16 of the country.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
What would be the smart way to describe finishing in the top 16?

Thanksgiving Dinner

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The right coach will fix any donor problems we currently have
If by "the right coach", you mean an established big name, no one in their right mind who fits that description is going to come to Iowa if Fran goes. If by "the right coach", you mean someone coming up from a lower level job, donors will demand results first, which will be incredibly difficult to achieve without donations.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
The NIL guys is hinting that Fran is looking at other opportunities. Not saying he is leaving but Notre Dame and Temple have his attention.

He also mentioned that raising NIL money for basketball is not going well. Claims all the larger donors want their money to go to football and Fran is aware of this. Then mentioned schools in the Big East don’t have football to compete with basketball so they will likely start to pull away in terms of caliber of recruit they are getting because all of their NIL money can be focused there.
Current Swarm donations, unless specifically earmarked for one program or another (which is quite common) are 80/10/10. A VAST majority of funds raised for basketball might have been processed through the Swarm, but were NOT originated by them. And Fran is HEAVILY involved in those efforts. The level of effort he personally puts in to pushing NIL forward for the team would absolutely SHOCK most people.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
The right coach will fix any donor problems we currently have
I understand the thought....but there are sooooo many things that go into donors/NIL world that are well well outside Fran or any other coach's control

WestMifflin

Traitorous Wisconsinite
Reaction score

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
It's dumb to say making a Sweet Sixteen is finishing in the top 16 of the country.
Lol. Color me shocked that the Iowa State fan is equating performance in a post-season tournament with how a team "finished" that year. Iowa won the Big 10 tournament last year. They didn't win the conference.

Hmmmm.....which fanbase is it that does that.....

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
Have they started a net-cutting celebration for the end of the regular season KenPom winner?

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
Thinking the Sweet Sixteen represents the top sixteen teams in the country *is* the kind of thing you'd see on cyclonefanatic.
As I said, reaching the Sweet Sixteen represents a top 16 finish.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
Lol. Color me shocked that the Iowa State fan is equating performance in THE post-season tournament with how a team "finished" that year. Iowa won the Big 10 tournament last year. They didn't win the conference.

Hmmmm.....which fanbase is it that does that.....
Fixed it for you.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
The solution is to find a mid major coach who has gone to multiple sweet 16’s. What could go wrong?

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The NIL guys is hinting that Fran is looking at other opportunities. Not saying he is leaving but Notre Dame and Temple have his attention.

He also mentioned that raising NIL money for basketball is not going well. Claims all the larger donors want their money to go to football and Fran is aware of this. Then mentioned schools in the Big East don’t have football to compete with basketball so they will likely start to pull away in terms of caliber of recruit they are getting because all of their NIL money can be focused there.
Fran is recruiting at the same level he was pre -NIL. I don't think he's going to be someone that pulls a bunch of big recruits at a different school with a bigger checkbook.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
Just so we are really really clear here....you're saying that St Peter's was a Top 16 team in all of college basketball last season?
Not during the regular season.

But if they won when it mattered most and were awarded the chance along with 15 other teams to earn the title of national champion of the greatest athletic postseason spectacle ever created by man (but on halo is strangely NOT the metric to use when evaluating that season's teams), then absolutely.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Ok. I'll let you go back and re-read your other posts on the topic and then re-examine your last.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
Instead of asking me if some random podunk teams that I don't remember were top 16, if they the made it to Sweet 16 the answer is yes. This isn't difficult. The tournament is the best metric we've got and believing otherwise is simply unamerican.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
The "Fran should stay" contingent has spoken and revealed themselves to be a bunch a commies

Reaction score
Let's just throw out the fact that the NCAA tournament is a crapshoot of a sample size for one second and entertain this.

Making the sweet 16 puts you in the top 4.4% of all college basketball teams. A top 4.4% finish in college football would put you in the top 6. It's a ridiculously hard thing to do.

I suppose we should fire our football coach if he isn't making the CFB playoff next year, too. Actually, not a bad idea.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
That sounds great, but any year Iowa makes the tournament they're conceivably in the top 10 percent of all teams. Being conservative, reaching the sweet 16 for every 3-4 tournament trips doesn't seem to be completely unreasonable

gohawkeyes811

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Didn't Billy Donovan even say there was no way they were the best team in the country two straight years when they went back to back?

Is fritz just acting incoherent or is it real?

gohawkeyes811

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Instead of asking me if some random podunk teams that I don't remember were top 16, if they the made it to Sweet 16 the answer is yes. This isn't difficult. The tournament is the best metric we've got and believing otherwise is simply unamerican.
Umm, wtf?

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Let's just throw out the fact that the NCAA tournament is a crapshoot of a sample size for one second and entertain this.

Making the sweet 16 puts you in the top 4.4% of all college basketball teams. A top 4.4% finish in college football would put you in the top 6. It's a ridiculously hard thing to do.

I suppose we should fire our football coach if he isn't making the CFB playoff next year, too. Actually, not a bad idea.
I agree with the sentiment but this is a terrible analogy.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score

This goes against what 247 said which was Fran has been telling recruits that he is staying at Iowa -- and thinks they have a lot of possibilities with NIL and the caliber of team that they are building at Iowa.