Do you want Fran to stay or go?

Do you want Fran to stay or go?

• Total voters

Uli Kunkel

Fireworks Enthusiast
Reaction score
This question is difficult to fully answer without considering Garta. He is a huge problem. There could be productive conversations about the deficiencies in Fran's program and an opportunity with NIL but that won't happen with Garta.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
I voted go but not because I want him fired. I just would like a new coach. Davis got walked out because he hadn’t made it past the first weekend in ten years. He wasn’t a terrible coach, but his program was stale. I’d say that’s exactly where Fran is right now.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
This question is difficult to fully answer without considering Garta. He is a huge problem. There could be productive conversations about the deficiencies in Fran's program and an opportunity with NIL but that won't happen with Garta.
that is completely stupid.

plus, there is absolutely nothing preventing Fran from taking the lead on NIL stuff for basketball.

Reaction score
I voted go but not because I want him fired. I just would like a new coach. Davis got walked out because he hadn’t made it past the first weekend in ten years. He wasn’t a terrible coach, but his program was stale. I’d say that’s exactly where Fran is right now.
Part of this is revisionist history. It wasn’t just not making the S16. He had missed 3 of the 5 tournaments when the decision was made.

He got hosed in one of those years but making 2/5 tournaments is a different situation than 5/5.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Fran graduated from Wharton. It’s likely that he agrees with me and many other posters here that spending money in NIL is a completely stupid use of money. But it’s his call.

Uli Kunkel

Fireworks Enthusiast
Reaction score
We get it Wade, you floss with Gary's pubes and gargle with his semen.

Of course Fran is free to use NIL and has expressed support in doing so. But NIL needs more creative admin support to be maximized. And Garta clearly isn't going to pressure his coaches on any other deficiencies.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
We get it Wade, you floss with Gary's pubes and gargle with his semen.

Of course Fran is free to use NIL and has expressed support in doing so. But NIL needs more creative admin support to be maximized. And Garta clearly isn't going to pressure his coaches on any other deficiencies.
Fran has brought the program to the current level through an approach that likely cannot coexist with an aggressive approach to NIL. There are numerous examples in a short period of time that, while NIL may redirect donor money to the players, there is virtually no correlation with actually winning more games.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Fran has brought the program to the current level through an approach that likely cannot coexist with an aggressive approach to NIL. There are numerous examples in a short period of time that, while NIL may redirect donor money to the players, there is virtually no correlation with actually winning more games.
He brought the program to the current level before NIL existed. He needs to keep with the times.

Uli Kunkel

Fireworks Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure it has a long enough history to draw that conclusion just yet. I'm also not advocating Fran use it to turn over his entire roster, but to fill in the gaps much like teams would use transfers in the past. Point guard is an obvious and consistent recruiting issue for Fran, and maybe NIL could help.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Seems to be working for Penn State. Definitely not a sure thing though.

If there’s ever a year to rebuild the roster via the portal this is it.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Link to the lucrative NIL deals inked by former A10 and future Europe player Jalen Pickett?

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
I’m sick of guys like Rebecca and Connor being our grown ass men. That’s not taking you far in March. I’d like to think that could change under Fran but don’t think it ever will. Asskickers just aren’t his style.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Distinct difference between success in the transfer portal and “lucrative” NIL deals? Ok.
I have no problem with the transfer portal. We were discussing NIL. Sorry that you think it’s ok to fuck children in the shower.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
Part of this is revisionist history. It wasn’t just not making the S16. He had missed 3 of the 5 tournaments when the decision was made.

He got hosed in one of those years but making 2/5 tournaments is a different situation than 5/5.
I know what you’re saying, and we’re kinda arguing here to be stupid, but if the selection committee used NET and the tournament had 68 spots, Davis probably makes the tournament in 98 and 95.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I have no problem with the transfer portal. We were discussing NIL. Sorry that you think it’s ok to fuck children in the shower.
I know I’m arguing with a post here, but I see success in the transfer portal being very closely tied with NIL.

Reaction score
Not sure it has a long enough history to draw that conclusion just yet. I'm also not advocating Fran use it to turn over his entire roster, but to fill in the gaps much like teams would use transfers in the past. Point guard is an obvious and consistent recruiting issue for Fran, and maybe NIL could help.
Right. Unless we have surprise departures I think you basically need 2 guys plus Brauns. Obviously a big. Then it depends on honest evaluation of returning and incoming guards. Either a lead PG or a scoring wing.

Reaction score
I know what you’re saying, and we’re kinda arguing here to be stupid, but if the selection committee used NET and the tournament had 68 spots, Davis probably makes the tournament in 98 and 95.
I’m just saying what the facts were at the time, not trying to downgrade Davis. It was Raef, not getting to the S16 and then starting to miss the tournament more regularly. ‘98 got hosed for sure.

Regardless, the sentiment nationally and around the league was that we were crazy for firing him with his results. It would be even crazier now.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I’m just saying what the facts were at the time, not trying to downgrade Davis. It was Raef, not getting to the S16 and then starting to miss the tournament more regularly. ‘98 got hosed for sure.

Regardless, the sentiment nationally and around the league was that we were crazy for firing him with his results. It would be even crazier now.
We’ve seen what a wrong decision can do, AND what a right decision can do. I don’t know that I trust iowa to follow a good hire with a great one.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Right. Unless we have surprise departures I think you basically need 2 guys plus Brauns. Obviously a big. Then it depends on honest evaluation of returning and incoming guards. Either a lead PG or a scoring wing.
I think Ulis gets encouraged to move on. Go to Drake or Bradley and do well.

I think Jelly leaves, or at least gets locked in the Hostess thrift shop for a year. Mulvey stays, and is the subject of Fran’s excellent player development.

my gut says perkins leaves. have no info on this.

bowen stays and starts. Harding gets 15 mpg.

Fartman is 1st team all conference

Dix grows, plays hard, and finishes with passion.

Reaction score

I think Jelly leaves, or at least gets locked in the Hostess thrift shop for a year. Mulvey stays, and is the subject of Fran’s excellent player development.

Jelly is gone and I agree on Ulis. I hope Tony stays because I still have hope for him and I want Bowen to stay and not be the only black guy coming back.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

Portal better be good to Iowa, or that might be a rough season.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
Iowa kids can be the foundation of an upper level football program but not in basketball. He should go because he can’t recruit outside of the state.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
I’m about as confident in a 60+ year old Fran navigating the new NIL world as I am with him figuring out the defense.

If he left or retired, I’d be fine with it. But next year his seat is going to get very warm. Without major portal help, theres no way they make the tournament. And it’s time for him to push Dillard out the door and at least bandage up the defense. We should have a better idea of the likelihood of either of those happening within the next month or so.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I’m about as confident in a 60+ year old Fran navigating the new NIL world as I am with him figuring out the defense.

If he left or retired, I’d be fine with it. But next year his seat is going to get very warm. Without major portal help, theres no way they make the tournament. And it’s time for him to push Dillard out the door and at least bandage up the defense. We should have a better idea of the likelihood of either of those happening within the next month or so.
None of those will happen. Fran does what he wants. Has more kids coming. Can’t wait

Pinehawk

Regina Douche
Reaction score
Fran has generally made Iowa basketball fun to watch. Putting up points, showcasing elite players in Garza and Keegan. There are a lot of frustrating aspects as well.
But, I fear we could have an extended downturn if we get the new hire wrong.
Recently we have been winning 20 games and making the NCAA tournament without having to sweat it. A lot of teams would love to be in that position.