Do you want Fran to stay or go?

Do you want Fran to stay or go?

• Total voters

Pinehawk

Regina Douche
Reaction score
Who are we sure we could hire, that will definitely be better than Fran?

Reaction score
Alford and the criminal were awful therefore we must keep a middling coach forever because we’re Iowa.
I don’t think that’s it at all. It seems objectively the 8th-11th best job in the league in tradition, resources and recruiting ground. You don’t keep a coach around forever if they’re in that status quo or below.

If they’re consistently in the top third of the league and making the tournament every year, it’s crazy to fire the coach. Doesn’t mean fans shouldn’t be frustrated to want more in March or improvements in weak areas.

Reaction score
I’d be curious to see the Venn diagram of the fans who demand higher expectations and those who think NIL collectives are foolish and won’t give money to them.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I love Fran, he brought Iowa back from the darkness of Lick. He's gotten unlucky multiple times as well in March. The even mention of him being fired is stupid, you don't fire a coach at a school like Iowa with his run of success.

Starting today, Fran is going to be in a position he hasn't been in since he came to Iowa, and that is being tasked with a major and almost complete rebuild. He used to get a couple years or so to do it, but it's 2023 and the NIL era and needs to be done overnight.

The guy is 64 and has been outspoken forever about doing it the right way and fought against corruption in the NCAA, so I don't know if he's built to handle the era of highest bidder is not only legal but encouraged. He's a development coach overall.

Fartman / Lil' Fartman / Dix / Feeman / Other White Moline Kid PG is the start of a nice young core, but that's a bottom rung Big Ten team without serious help as well as super fucking white. Pat is a total mess at this point. Perkins is going to get offers from all over to transfer. Ulis / Jelly / Mulva are all MAC level players at best. Bowen might get tempted to go closer to home in a conference that better fits him.

The best case scenario is you have that young core, pick up the Braun kid as a backup goon, and you land an impact big man plus a wing and a PG.

It's not going to be a boring offseason and likely shapes the end of Fran's career at Iowa.

Reaction score
If that's true then he should have been fired years ago. NO ONE EXPECTED HIM TO MAKE THE TOURNEY IN YEARS 6 THRU 12 SO CUT HIM SOME SLACK!!
Easy there fella. Keep in mind he’s dumber than a box of rocks.

HzzzHawk

The Bull
Reaction score
Do I want Fran to stay, if given the offer to coach somewhere else? No.

Do I think there is a less than 0% chance of him actually receiving such an offer and leaving? Yes.
yep. Fran is not going to get an offer to coach another program given his age and track record, unless it’s a mid-major and why would he willingly take a step back after having been a big 10 coach.

and he’s probably unlikely to retire. He doesn’t need the money but guys like Fran are not wired to retire

HzzzHawk

The Bull
Reaction score
I love Fran, he brought Iowa back from the darkness of Lick. He's gotten unlucky multiple times as well in March. The even mention of him being fired is stupid, you don't fire a coach at a school like Iowa with his run of success.

Starting today, Fran is going to be in a position he hasn't been in since he came to Iowa, and that is being tasked with a major and almost complete rebuild. He used to get a couple years or so to do it, but it's 2023 and the NIL era and needs to be done overnight.

The guy is 64 and has been outspoken forever about doing it the right way and fought against corruption in the NCAA, so I don't know if he's built to handle the era of highest bidder is not only legal but encouraged. He's a development coach overall.

Fartman / Lil' Fartman / Dix / Feeman / Other White Moline Kid PG is the start of a nice young core, but that's a bottom rung Big Ten team without serious help as well as super fucking white. Pat is a total mess at this point. Perkins is going to get offers from all over to transfer. Ulis / Jelly / Mulva are all MAC level players at best. Bowen might get tempted to go closer to home in a conference that better fits him.

The best case scenario is you have that young core, pick up the Braun kid as a backup goon, and you land an impact big man plus a wing and a PG.

It's not going to be a boring offseason and likely shapes the end of Fran's career at Iowa.
now that’s what I call a hot take

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
I voted go but not because I want him fired. I just would like a new coach. Davis got walked out because he hadn’t made it past the first weekend in ten years. He wasn’t a terrible coach, but his program was stale. I’d say that’s exactly where Fran is right now.
No coach since Davis can make it past the first game

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Let’s say Iowa gets placed in Mizzou’s draw. They could beat Utah State, then get a crack at Providence for a trip to the Sweet 16. Then let’s just say Baylor goes down before the Sweet 16 for the sake of the hypothetical. You’re looking at Creighton, NC State, or UC Santa Barbara for a trip to the Elite 8. Need a good draw and a little bit of a luck.

Revolver

Reaction score
No coach since Davis can make it past the first game
I mean, besides the fact that Fran has made the round of 32 more often than not in his career in the tournament at Iowa, great point.

Revolver

Reaction score
You HALO jackasses know everything don't you

2013-14 - Lost in First Four
2014-15 - Round of 32
2015-16 - Round of 32
2018-19 - Round of 32
2019-20 - Tournament Canceled
2020-21 - Round of 32
2021-22 - Lost in First Round
2022-23 - Lost in First Round

I agree that it is wild they haven’t made the Sweet 16 at least once in Fran’s tenure at Iowa, but that doesn’t mean your initial post wasn’t incorrect.

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
2013-14 - Lost in First Four
2014-15 - Round of 32
2015-16 - Round of 32
2018-19 - Round of 32
2019-20 - Tournament Canceled
2020-21 - Round of 32
2021-22 - Lost in First Round
2022-23 - Lost in First Round

I agree that it is wild they haven’t made the Sweet 16 at least once in Fran’s tenure at Iowa, but that doesn’t mean your initial post wasn’t incorrect.
Now do all 13 years

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
You are insufferable. You are stupid. All whilst being extremely persistent. It is a really terrible combination, Clete. There is a reason you are widely disliked on every bb you post on.
You are arguing that Fran's body of work at Iowa is on par with Davis. Yet you haven't shown your work. That's insufferably bad.

Revolver

Reaction score
You are arguing that Fran's body of work at Iowa is on par with Davis. Yet you haven't shown your work. That's insufferably bad.
Point to where I did that. I pointed out that your comment was incorrect because it was. That was all that I did. Because you are stupid and bad at this.

Floyd R

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s it at all. It seems objectively the 8th-11th best job in the league in tradition, resources and recruiting ground. You don’t keep a coach around forever if they’re in that status quo or below.

If they’re consistently in the top third of the league and making the tournament every year, it’s crazy to fire the coach. Doesn’t mean fans shouldn’t be frustrated to want more in March or improvements in weak areas.
And what would you rank Iowa State in terms of attractiveness? They have been a better bball program since the mid 90s and somehow have been successful with a carousel of coaches coupled with a smaller budget, fan base, and much shittier college town.

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
Point to where I did that. I pointed out that your comment was incorrect because it was. That was all that I did. Because you are stupid and bad at this.
Bad at knowing that to win in the tournament you have to be in it?

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Let’s say Iowa gets placed in Mizzou’s draw. They could beat Utah State, then get a crack at Providence for a trip to the Sweet 16. Then let’s just say Baylor goes down before the Sweet 16 for the sake of the hypothetical. You’re looking at Creighton, NC State, or UC Santa Barbara for a trip to the Elite 8. Need a good draw and a little bit of a luck.
That's a nice fairy tale

Revolver

Reaction score
Bad at knowing that to win in the tournament you have to be in it?
This is going to be the last thing I will say about this.

The phrasing in your post was incorrect. Everything I said in response to your post was backed with data. If you want to keep shooting from the hip with your gut feelings, I have no doubt you will continue to do so. Learn how to frame your argument correctly.

Revolver

Reaction score
That's a nice fairy tale
It is. Just an example of a more appealing draw than we actually got. Merely stating that when you are a team like Iowa has been historically, you need a little help.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
It is. Just an example of a more appealing draw than we actually got. Merely stating that when you are a team like Iowa has been historically, you need a little help.
We lose in most of those scenarios if we play like we did last night.

Skinny Skier

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
They’ve made the tourney seven times under Fran. Once they lost to a similar seeded team, twice they’ve played to their seed, once they’ve played above their seed, and three times they’ve played worse than their seed. It just so happens those are the last three trips so it feels to people like they underperform.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score

that doesn’t scream March runs to me…it sounds like a young and inexperienced BYU team. Fran needs to recruit some mean fuckers who look like they could play running back or defensive end to supplement all the oh so very soft white skill. will he do that? history would suggest no, especially with son number 3 joining the club shortly

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm swinging for the RATT fences today

next year's team will be picked at the bottom of the conference, then go 10-10 in the douche and make the NCAA

they'll score a lot of points but won't stop anyone. first round loss.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The question of whether Fran should stay or not is moot when the follow up question to a "No" answer is "Who would Barta hire?"
Barta deserves a lot of heat for his bungling of PR issues and being a vehement anti-lesbo, but his hires have been fine.

The big counterpoint is going to be Lick, but a lot of that is hindsight.

Lick's resume was fine. He had early success at Butler, faltered, but then corrected it. I don't blame Barta for not knowing it was an assistant coach that was likely responsible for that.

Barta isn't a cowboy, he isn't going to go rogue and hire someone he has a good feeling about. They'd hire a search firm, consult with many people, and make a solid hire. Of course there is no guarantee of success.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Barta deserves a lot of heat for his bungling of PR issues and being a vehement anti-lesbo, but his hires have been fine.

Lick's resume was fine. He had early success at Butler, faltered, but then corrected it. I don't blame Barta for not knowing it was an assistant coach that was likely responsible for that.

Barta isn't a cowboy, he isn't going to go rogue and hire someone he has a good feeling about. They'd hire a search firm, consult with many people, and make a solid hire. Of course there is no guarantee of success.
Imagine if Barta hired Brad Stevens. We all would've been pissed but then multiple Final Fours later........

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Where are you coming up with this idea?
Big Sandfart will give you most of what Kris gave this year. He'll be all-douche. Yes, Kris was AA, but he was soft defensively (like the rest of the team) and didn't exactly take over a lot of games. I think Sandfart will be good for 17-18 next year. He won't carry the team, either, but he'll score and get some rebounds and play terrible defense, just the way Fran likes it.
One of the freshmen will start and be decent. Probably Freeman.
PG can't be any worse than it was this year.
Perkins has a strong senior year.
Pat will be Pat

8 man rotation.

Squat Cobbler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
This situation is a little different than simply firing a semi-successful coach. If the rumors are true, Iowa has a chance to add a DeVries, a coach who has rebuilt his club seemingly every year and been able to coach them through success multiple times when key players have gone down with injury. My most accounts he's much better equipped to handle NIL and ever changing rosters.

demmert4

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

Also, it’s not like Iowa has had to scrape the bottom of the coaching barrel. The last five coaching hires include two guys from the Pac-10, the hottest coaching prospect in the country, the national coach of the year and Fran.

We’d have the money to compete, have the practice facility and the excitement of something new probably helps drive donors to the collective.

Fran isn’t, and shouldn’t be fired. But unless you’re an all time great coach, 13 years is probably too long at one place.