DL Hodges (team captain)
LB Lewis
LB Edds
DB Considine
DB Jo Johnson

Last edited:

thrawn

Reaction score
I think most Iowa QBs are properly rated, but I am a firm believer that Tate was the best but isn‘t widely recognized as such because of his senior year.

Last edited:

thrawn

Reaction score
What’s the criteria?
whatever mostly, I think of guys who either were good on forgettable teams, were overshadowed at a position, or didn’t do much as pros for whatever reason

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
QB Tate
FB Cervantes
RB Young?
WR Kasper
WR Ochoa
TE Myers

DL Robinson
DL Kroul
DL Hodges (team captai)
LB Lewis
LB Edds
DB Considine
DB Jo Johnson
How many of these would start on today’s team? I had this discussion just a day ago about Considine. Does he play over Koerner?

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
LB Humpal
DB Spievey
WR Mo Brown

I think the narrative is Iowa never has had good receivers and people forget about guys like Brown.

Maybe I’m just forgetting how it was but it seems depth wise Iowa is in a much better position today than they were from 2001-2010. Those teams relied on there first team players a ton.

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
LB Humpal
DB Spievey
WR Mo Brown

I think the narrative is Iowa never has had good receivers and people forget about guys like Brown.

Maybe I’m just forgetting how it was but it seems depth wise Iowa is in a much better position today than they were from 2001-2010. Those teams relied on there first team players a ton.
Really liked Spievay. He was MVP of a win at Wisconsin on a day he was sick. Great tackler.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Should have added Marcus Paschal as well. Merrick was pretty good too.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Considine is also probably the best special teams player in Iowa history, he could have had a great career at Iowa without ever taking an offensive or defensive snap.
If we ignore Bob Sanders as a special teams player then yes.

Jermire Roberts and Matt Melloy were solid on special teams as well.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
QB Chandler
RB Jermelle Lewis
WR Razor Ramon
TE Myers Riesner
DL Clauss
LB Hodges
DB Amari

CamelTones

Reaction score
As for an actual season, 2005 is a forgotten pretty good season.

Crushed by Ohio State and oddly by Iowa State. Michigan OT loss and the debacle at the end of the NW game plus the Outback Bowl.

All of their wins were basically blowouts by the end. Even the Wisconsin game where they fell behind by 10 in Barry’s last home game they scored the last 20 and completely shut down Calhoun in the second half.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Watching some highlights, Champ Davis would have been a great TE today. They kinda used him back then.

thrawn

Reaction score

Crushed by Ohio State and oddly by Iowa State. Michigan OT loss and the debacle at the end of the NW game plus the Outback Bowl.
The Iowa State game was weird, they moved the ball well on the ground, but they kept giving it up. Tate was struggling even before he got hurt making a dumb tackle on a pick. Manson was obviously not a starting quality QB.

In the 4th, they were down 13 but driving with about 8 minutes left when Scott Chandler fumbled around the 20.

Then, you had the Northwestern game and the ref games. The 2004 team had a horseshoe that the 2005 didn’t.

Last edited:

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

All of their wins were basically blowouts by the end. Even the Wisconsin game where they fell behind by 10 in Barry’s last home game they scored the last 20 and completely shut down Calhoun in the second half.
2013 sometimes feels like that for me. Came off the disaster of 2012 to start the season with a loss to Northern Illinois at home. Thought it was going to get really ugly for Ferentz, but they put in a pretty solid year. Hung tough on the road @Ohio State and ended the year with wins over Michigan and beat the shit out of Nebrantska in Lincoln.

LB's were all studs that year.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
2008 is the answer. If Ricky had grown any hair on his nads by that point and Kurt wouldn't have fucked around with Jake early in the season, that team goes for over 10 wins.

thrawn

Reaction score
Duzey and Ott (plus Scherff) were some of the only bright spots in the otherwise shitty 2014 season, sucks that neither got to play much for the 2015 team.

Last edited:

thrawn

Reaction score
2008 is the answer. If Ricky had grown any hair on his nads by that point and Kurt wouldn't have fucked around with Jake early in the season, that team goes for over 10 wins.
I think if you did a big league or tournament with all the teams for Ferentz, that team Is finishing 5th at worst

Reactions: BBK

douglasbader

Reaction score
Duzey and Ott (plus Scherff) were some of the only bright sides on the otherwise shitty 2014 team, sucks that neither got to play much for the 2015 team.
Disagree. 2014 was a good team and should have been a 10 win team if Ferentz isn't such a dumbfuck about not starting Beathard after the Pitt game the rest of the year.

thrawn

Reaction score
Disagree. 2014 was a good team and should have been a 10 win team if Ferentz isn't such a dumbfuck about not starting Beathard after the Pitt game the rest of the year.
shitty season would be the better framing

Although for all of it (Iowa State, Maryland, and Minnesota), they lost by 2 at home to Wisconsin, if they win that and then Nebrantska (when they blew the huge lead) they would have been in the B10 CG

thrawn

Reaction score
It does make 15 that much more impressive, they barely got anything out of their best returning players (no one knew how good guys like Jewel would be)

douglasbader

Reaction score
shitty season would be the better framing

Although for all of it (Iowa State, Maryland, and Minnesota), they lost by 2 at home to Wisconsin, if they win that and then Nebrantska (when they blew the huge lead) they would have been in the B10 CG
Shitty season that didn't have to be. The loss to a terrible Iowa State team at home was an abomination. That was a Jake Rudock is a fucking pussy and Ferentz was still trying to get Greg Davis to pound a shitty Weisman into the ground. They fucked around all game and lost in horrifying fashion to a really bad team.

The Maryland game was even worse. They were rolling and on the verge of steamrolling over Maryland and then the quarter changes and for some reason Greg Davis has Rudock throw the ball like 30 times in the 4th quarter and abandons the run.

Wisconsin was the ultimate example of how frustrating Rudock was. He putzed around all game like a pussy and then too late finally starts playing and makes it a 2 point loss.

Don't even get me started on the Nebrantska game that they had surrendered and Iowa and Rudock said, nah, you guys can have this one back.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
I think if you did a big league or tournament with all the teams for Ferentz, that team Is finishing 5th at worst

douglasbader

Reaction score

CamelTones

Reaction score
2013 sometimes feels like that for me. Came off the disaster of 2012 to start the season with a loss to Northern Illinois at home. Thought it was going to get really ugly for Ferentz, but they put in a pretty solid year. Hung tough on the road @Ohio State and ended the year with wins over Michigan and beat the shit out of Nebrantska in Lincoln.

LB's were all studs that year.
2013 was great at the time but looking back at the losses, Northern Illinois at home is bad even if they’re decent. Were kinda in the Wisconsin game but never felt like they would win. Fell for another fake punt, lost momentum then lost the game to Michigan State. Ohio State was ok but the defense didn’t force a single punt. Defense was great against LSU but running Weisman against LSU....lol.

It’s mostly memorable because it was their first win over Nebrantska since they joined the conference, and they crushed them. But Nebrantska was also playing their 3rd string walkon QB. The Michigan comeback win in Antarctic weather was nice, Minnesota and Iowa State were decent wins.

2007, 2012 and 2014 were Kirks worst coaching jobs. 2012 felt like a dumpster fire yet they were basically a fluke against Central Michigan (they were penalized for being offsides on an onsides kick Iowa recovered and got to kick again) and a fuck up at the end against Purdue away from going to a bowl.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
I feel like that 03 team should be higher, but not sure who to supplant. Weird that 15 would be that low, but outside of USC, they didn’t play anyone as good as the teams above them. And they lost a lesser squad on a neutral field.

douglasbader

Reaction score
2013 was great at the time but looking back at the losses, Northern Illinois at home is bad even if they’re decent. Were kinda in the Wisconsin game but never felt like they would win. Fell for another fake punt, lost momentum then lost the game to Michigan State. Ohio State was ok but the defense didn’t force a single punt. Defense was great against LSU but running Weisman against LSU....lol.

It’s mostly memorable because it was their first win over Nebrantska since they joined the conference, and they crushed them. But Nebrantska was also playing their 3rd string walkon QB. The Michigan comeback win in Antarctic weather was nice, Minnesota and Iowa State were decent wins.

2007, 2012 and 2014 were Kirks worst coaching jobs. 2012 felt like a dumpster fire yet they were basically a fluke against Central Michigan (they were penalized for being offsides on an onsides kick Iowa recovered and got to kick again) and a fuck up at the end against Purdue away from going to a bowl.
It wasn't a great loss, but losing against Northern Illinois when they go 12-0 in the regular season is forgivable.

thrawn

Reaction score
2013 was satisfying just to get back to a bowl that wasn’t the Insight, but that team was kind of boring. They didn’t really have any particularly notable games, good or bad.

They would have benefited from a different bowl structure. Even though they only lost by 7, LSU was way too good for them. They could have used a lesser bowl like when the 2017 team played BC in the Pinstripe

In looking at the schedule, I’m sure I watched at least 10 of those games (I usually miss 1 or 2), but I barely have any memories of them.

Last edited:

CamelTones

Reaction score
In about 5 years we’re all going to be looking at the stretch of 2017-2019 as a little disappointing. They should have gone to at least one Big Ten title game in that stretch.

douglasbader

Reaction score
In about 5 years we’re all going to be looking at the stretch of 2017-2019 as a little disappointing. They should have gone to at least one Big Ten title game in that stretch.
This is where I hope that Bovert is correct and Stanley was the thing holding Iowa back. If Petras is even close to as good as good as people think he might be, could put Iowa up on the level where Wisconsin has been.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I’m a big Stanley defender but he definitely held them back. In terms of QBs under Kirk I’d probably take him 6th or 7th.

Tate
Banks
Beathard
Stanzi
Vandenburg
McCann or Stanley.

Id probably take 2013 Rudock over Nate.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
This is where I hope that Bovert is correct and Stanley was the thing holding Iowa back. If Petras is even close to as good as good as people think he might be, could put Iowa up on the level where Wisconsin has been.
The makeup of next years team is going to be similar to the type of Iowa team that beats Wisconsin.

thrawn

Reaction score
The 2018 season, even though they were 3 games back of Northwestern, was the real miss to me. That was a soft first-place team, and Iowa had four losses that were varying degrees of dumb. Gave up a pair of late TDs to Wisconsin. Stanley fucked up at Penn State. DB injuries caught up to them at Purdue, and even then they only lost because of a soft PI. I was at a wedding during Northwestern so no comment but another close one.

The schedule was a grinder in 19, with some breaks they are in an NY6 bowl but the B10 at the top last year was just loaded.

Last edited:

douglasbader

Reaction score
I’m a big Stanley defender but he definitely held them back. In terms of QBs under Kirk I’d probably take him 6th or 7th.

Tate
Banks
Beathard
Stanzi
Vandenburg
McCann or Stanley.

Id probably take 2013 Rudock over Nate.
I think this is a little too hard on him. He is likely behind the first 4 on that list, but he is markedly better than Vandenburg and McCann and I will never take Rudock over him. The last 2 games how he finished against Nebrantska alone puts him above Rudock.