Ferentz Savant-Like Football Memory Thread

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
I'm getting old and there are things that Ferentz does that frustrate the shit out of me, but I fucking love that guy and would rather have him here another 20 years and have the same level of success he has always had rather than suck the toes of these dipshit recruits and whiny fucks like @Heavens
suck the toes.... Lololol

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Posted part one in another thread but these articles are both full of Ferentz savant memories.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
I love it when he half asks a question, pretending like he doesn't remember some random player who came out of Ball State.

Reaction score
He starts talking about Chad Hennings and Bryce Paup, lol

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
His memory is fucking ridiculous. He is naming off exactly how many pictures he cut out of Sport Magazine and put on the wall when he was in high school/college and exactly what players they were.

HoundedHawk

STILL LURKS BUT DELETED ALL OF HIS CONTENT
Reaction score

Last edited:
Reaction score
His memory is fucking ridiculous. He is naming off exactly how many pictures he cut out of Sport Magazine and put on the wall when he was in high school/college and exactly what players they were.
"My memory's not that good."

(Gives full play-by-play of drive of 2Q drive in 1986 Holiday Bowl)

Reaction score
he casually cites a 30 year-old QB battle

“I have no reason to think that whoever emerges in August won’t do a good job and if it’s not him, it may be the next guy,” Ferentz said. “Maybe like Chuck Hartlieb in 1987. I guess it was when the third guy in ended up being the guy. We’re just going to keep an open mind getting into camp and at some point we’ll have to make a decision. But right now we’re going into it with a really open mind.”

Iowa coach Hayden Fry and offensive coordinator Bill Snyder had a tough decision back in 1987. The choices were 6-foot-8 Dan McGwire — brother of MLB slugger Mark McGwire — Hartlieb and Tom Poholsky. It took half the season, but Hartlieb became the starter and set numerous passing records over the next two years. Ferentz was the offensive line coach for that team.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score

“I have no reason to think that whoever emerges in August won’t do a good job and if it’s not him, it may be the next guy,” Ferentz said. “Maybe like Chuck Hartlieb in 1987. I guess it was when the third guy in ended up being the guy. We’re just going to keep an open mind getting into camp and at some point we’ll have to make a decision. But right now we’re going into it with a really open mind.”

Iowa coach Hayden Fry and offensive coordinator Bill Snyder had a tough decision back in 1987. The choices were 6-foot-8 Dan McGwire — brother of MLB slugger Mark McGwire — Hartlieb and Tom Poholsky. It took half the season, but Hartlieb became the starter and set numerous passing records over the next two years. Ferentz was the offensive line coach for that team.
He has an amazing memory for football details, not doubt. But I'm pretty sure that most of the posters here over 40 or so could also remember many of the details of that QB battle. Hell, I was 7 and I remember all three of those guys and the controversy of who was going to start.

howler

Totally Not a Spartan Fan
Reaction score

He has an amazing memory for football details, not doubt. But I'm pretty sure that most of the posters here over 40 or so could also remember many of the details of that QB battle. Hell, I was 7 and I remember all three of those guys and the controversy of who was going to start.
Not to mention he was a 32 year old rising coach who lived, ate, and breathed all aspects of those teams. What's names on a page or screen for us is like an extended family for him. I'd actually be shocked if those details had grown fuzzy for Kirk.

Not trying to minimize his recall but clarify it, which has always been entertaining from this fan's standpoint.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

Lol. Not a great example

douglasbader

Reaction score

I have to say that this one doesn't impress me either because I was 8 years old and remember this.

The ones I love are when he casually drops in specific plays that aren't even memorable from a game that wasn't memorable and remembers everyone involved.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
Lime is a real dumbfuck!!!!

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Anyone mention that Lime's most recent example isn't particularly impressive?

Reaction score
From today's presser:

Q: What do you remember about the 2004 game against Ohio State?

KF: What do I remember? We won. How about that. I remember Sam Brownlee making a play against one of their better players for about a 17 yard game.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
That game was ugly and OSU wasn't that good. Not that satisfying considering we rarely beat them.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Yeah unsatisfying is probably the wrong word. We dominated them, but we expected to.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
That game was ugly and OSU wasn't that good. Not that satisfying considering we rarely beat them.
Ugly, yes. We got up early and it looked like blow out city. Future superstar Troy Smith ends up slowing it to stay close-ish. Closest thing to dominating OSU in my lifetime, though. Plenty satisfying.

I remember almost nothing post-Michigan 2004 as unsatisfying, including 6-4 at PSU. Possibly nostalgia, though.

Reaction score
Were not expected to dominate. Both teams were 3-2. Ohio State was ranked. They have us to thank for benching Justin Zwick during that game in favor of Troy Smith.

Reaction score
Iowa has beaten OSU 4 times in my life, and I'm old enough to remember 3 of them. They could win 2-0 and I'd be fucking pumped about it.

Reaction score
From today's presser:

KF: What do I remember? We won. How about that. I remember Sam Brownlee making a play against one of their better players for about a 17 yard game.
Was it the Ohio State game when Brian returned to the lineup at RG and made everything gel?

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Ugly, yes. We got up early and it looked like blow out city. Future superstar Troy Smith ends up slowing it to stay close-ish. Closest thing to dominating OSU in my lifetime, though. Plenty satisfying.

I remember almost nothing post-Michigan 2004 as unsatisfying, including 6-4 at PSU. Possibly nostalgia, though.
Not anymore!

douglasbader

Reaction score
Check out this from the post game. Ferentz recalls a player stepping out of bounds on the kickoff against NC State in the 1988 Peach Bowl. It starts at 1:35 on the video.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Check out this from the post game. Ferentz recalls a player stepping out of bounds on the kickoff against NC State in the 1988 Peach Bowl. It starts at 1:35 on the video.

Jesus. Nice video capture by fat, mouthbreather Darth vader.

Reaction score

Lo fucking l. Only Fucking Kirk.

Reaction score
From today's presser:

Was it the Ohio State game when Brian returned to the lineup at RG and made everything gel?
I think Brian came back for the MSU game. I remember being at the game excited that he was back and then Jermelle tearing his ACL along the sideline.

Reaction score

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Leistikow had his yearly sit down with Kirk this week and they have it up as a HawkCentral podcast.

They open the interview talking about some of the more memorable wins of Kirks 143. I’m pretty sure if you asked Kirk what play was called with 8:47 left in the second quarter against Wisconsin in 2001 he could answer it.

He also alluded to 2 of his most regretful decisions as coach but said he wouldn’t share them until he’s retired. My guesses are not starting Stanzi sooner in 2008 and splitting reps in the TaxSlayer Bowl.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
Leistikow had his yearly sit down with Kirk this week and they have it up as a HawkCentral podcast.

They open the interview talking about some of the more memorable wins of Kirks 143. I’m pretty sure if you asked Kirk what play was called with 8:47 left in the second quarter against Wisconsin in 2001 he could answer it.

He also alluded to 2 of his most regretful decisions as coach but said he wouldn’t share them until he’s retired. My guesses are not starting Stanzi sooner in 2008 and splitting reps in the TaxSlayer Bowl.
Going for the win against Ohio State in 2009?

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
Or blackballing DJK.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Probably running up the score against Ohio State.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Probably losing to Iowa State and Northwestern nine times each.

HoundedHawk

STILL LURKS BUT DELETED ALL OF HIS CONTENT
Reaction score

Last edited:
Reaction score
From Doctherman's interview with Ferentz

“What I get a kick out of is people talking about spread offenses and all that,” Ferentz said. “Illinois with Mike White, I can still remember ’82. They started with an onside kick. (Iowa’s) Kirk Banks recovered it. He earned his scholarship right there. I think we beat them (14-13). But I remember they set a stadium passing record (with 46 attempts).
In the ’80s it was BYU, John Jenkins down at Houston. I remember back when Thursday night football first came on, and I think they were playing Missouri, but I remember going home and they had the ball on the 6-inch line coming out so they’ve got almost 100 yards to go. They’re in the shotgun and I’m thinking, ‘Are you kidding me?’ There’s no sneak, there’s no push it out for a yard. None of that stuff. They’re in the shotgun running their offense. It’s the same thing on the 6-inch line going in.
https://theathletic.com/777591/2019/01/21/iowa-head-coach-kirk-ferentz-longest-tenure-looks-back/

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
Ferentz went through every year of his tenure with Fales on KXNO like it was yesterday.

brantshawks

Nebrantska Fan
Reaction score
Ferentz went through every year of his tenure with Fales on KXNO like it was yesterday.
That was impressive.

I was drunk for most/all of those games and can do bits and pieces for f them, but I'm not even recalling much from my own job in 2004 like he did. (I also haven't watched tapes on my work day after the fact, I guess)

gable_guy

Reaction score
He remembers records on how they started and how they finished each fucking year.

Enjoy the Norm Parker holding a folder up saying “We got it” regarding defending Georgia Tech.

MisterFalcon

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
He remembers records on how they started and how they finished each fucking year.

Enjoy the Norm Parker holding a folder up saying “We got it” regarding defending Georgia Tech.

Kirk is the man.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score

Is there a transcript of this?