Ferentz Savant-Like Football Memory Thread

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
LOL. He knew the NW-MICh score from the week before.

20 fuckin years ago.

thrawn

Reaction score
Disappointed he didn’t make a Byers freezer reference.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Ferentz specifically recalls the last time he recruited against USC .... in 2004/05

I’ll never forget how nervous those two were when committing during the Army All American game.

‘Uhhh, we wanted to play in the Rose Bowl’
‘So we decided to choo’
‘.............Eyewa’

Kirk should have tossed in a Stanley Havili reference.

Reaction score
From the Holiday Bowl PC today

Q. You mentioned the long-term tenure. I didn't realize until tonight Coach Ferentz has the longest tenured streak in the country of head coaches. Is it 21 years?
KIRK FERENTZ: Yes. I'll make a comment (laughter).

Clay talked about our scores. If I had to live in a world with those 48-39 games, I don't know if I'd last 10 years. Those games kill you. I remember we played Penn State in 1983, I think it was 42-38. It felt like we had been in a marathon. I hate those kind of games.

Hopefully we're not in one this week. I don't know. With the way these guys move the ball and score, I don't know, we'll see what happens.

Reaction score
in the post game discussion of that weird tory taylor play, kirk casually mentions a situation from a game he played in ninth grade

NINTH FUCKING GRADE

Last edited:

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
This actually was way undersold. Not only does he remember a play from 9th grade, he remembered the punter's first and last name, that they lost 2 yards on the play, and the place they were playing and the famous people that played there.

Incredible.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
This isn’t really a Kirk thing, but people in their 70s now seem to really have their shit together for the most part. I think it’s the 80s where you start to notice things slowing down - at least that’s how it’s been for me and a few others I’ve talked about it with. And to be fair, I’m only talking about healthy parents with no real other issues. It’s pretty damn encouraging, but also still a bummer when you start to notice your parents are slipping, regardless of age.

Reaction score
From today's press conference re: O line depth

I mean, during my time coaching at any level basically, but especially in the college level, if you got seven or eight guys you can put in a game and feel confident, boy, you're in good shape. And, yeah, we're approaching that way. We're not there yet, but we're approaching. I think it's realistic to think that's a possibility, and maybe we can get to nine. That would be pretty good. My first year in college football was at Pitt in 1980, and I swear to God, we had five really good players. We had a sixth guy, we rotated two guards. After that it was Jim Sweeney, who was a true freshman, had a great career in the NFL, but at that time he was like 219 pounds out of South Catholic High School. He was the mutt. There were two other guys. One went to Penn State; one went to Tennessee, and then Jim came to Pitt. He was the best of the three. But anyway. Nobody knew that. But he was our seventh guy. Just kind of puts things in perspective. I kind of carry that with me all the time when you start getting nervous about things.

Reaction score
Q. I should have done my homework, but did you ever go to Maryland? I know you went in ’14, but like when you were at Maine and Pitt or anything like that.

KIRK FERENTZ: We played Maryland at Pitt, and one of the Tices was the quarterback, big tall guy. I can’t remember if they were both on the team. I remember they’re from Long Island. I think quarterback, tight end. They had a good team. Jerry Claiborne was the head coach.

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
Should Penn State beat Indiana on Saturday, Kinnick Stadium could host its first top-five meeting since No. 1 Iowa played No. 2 Michigan in 1985.

“If we work hard, maybe some good things can happen,” Ferentz said. “If you get quote unquote ‘big games,’ the circus will come to town. So, we’ve got to deal with that, and it’s a hell of a lot better than playing our fifth game at Maine in 1991. I don’t know who it was against, but there wasn’t a circus I know that.”

thrawn

Reaction score
“I pulled up to the fieldhouse and the place was jammed,” Ferentz recalled. “‘What the hell’s going on?’ Craft show. Coaches had to park 300 yards away. Priorities. All right, now we had (another) one, too, was deer hunting season. Beautiful fall day. First day in November, 70 degrees, which doesn’t happen often. Playing Delaware, we upset them that day. There was like nobody there. I found out. Deer hunting. OK, whatever.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
I did not know the Cleveland Browns. Rest were easy.
They have brought that one back. It is featured throughout their team store and they have a live mascot on the field. This is the 75th season of Browns football, so that may explain why they brought this one back.

iowa4ever20

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
They have brought that one back. It is featured throughout their team store and they have a live mascot on the field. This is the 75th season of Browns football, so that may explain why they brought this one back.
I was at a Browns game in 2018 and the mascot was on the field then. Pretty cool old school logo but Brownie the Elf is a creepy looking mascot.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
I was at a Browns game in 2018 and the mascot was on the field then. Pretty cool old school logo but Brownie the Elf is a creepy looking mascot.
He looks like the unwanted younger sibling of the Notre Dame leprechaun.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Ferentz today talking about young guys like the 17 year old Wisconsin running back and if he's ever seen a similar player be that good at that age:

Yeah, Tony Dorsett, who is my age. I think he ran for a hundred plus every week his first year in college. Weighed about 165 at Pitt. That was 19, whatever it was, 73.

Last edited:

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
This one doesn't impress me that much. It is someone his own age, so much easier to remember dates and he was also a superstar.

Still pretty good.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
This is a long one but worth it. Reporter asked Kirk about Andre Tippett and he talks about coming over from Pitt in '81:

Are you kidding me? I always tell the story, but I came from the University of Pittsburgh. My first experience in Division I football. And that was not a good team, it was one of the great college teams.

Somehow we coached it down to an 11-1 team. It was unbelievable. You get Marino. Trocano, two NFL quarterbacks, 1-2 punch. Trocano was actually the safety. Marino got hurt and Trocano came over and started, won six, seven games, won them all. And then he played for Browns as a quarterback, I believe.

Great player. Two Hall of Fame offensive linemen. I don't think Fralic is in there, right? Fralic was a year later.

Defensive front five. Ricky Jackson, greatest college players probably ever. And three interior guys all played in the NFL. Really stacked team.

And I think we had 12 guys drafted that year. And maybe three first-round, 17 guys in camp. I remember that number exactly. So five free agents plus 12, came here in '81 and the talent wasn't quite the same.