Former players thread

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Another think that irked me about those offers, and several others Davis made: The players don’t fit your style of play. I really don’t understand how you utilize a pressing system and then recruit guards like a Skinner or Dale Reed.
You have no argument from me with this. Davis had some weird recruiting choices.

Reaction score
I get what you’re saying about fall-backs. But fall-back to an Anthony Clemmons or a Joe Toussaint type of player who has the physical abilities to compete in the Big Ten. Hell, bohannon was a fall-back and he’s about to become the all-time assists leader.

Reaction score
But that’s the argument I’m making; that talent-wise, Lookingbill fits in that group of walk-ons. He’d be below guys like Baer and Moore, on a level with a Nate Koch, Riley Till or Brandon Welsch.

No way a program playing a winning, exciting brand of basketball with future NBA players up and down the roster should be offering kids like that.
I think if you watched Lookingbill in high school you would have different thoughts. He single handedly beat an Illinois all-star featuring Earl in an AAU tournament. Wade definitely didn't live up to expectations at Iowa, but that was because he was one of the most dominate Iowa high school players of his era and we expected a lot.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I get what you’re saying about fall-backs. But fall-back to an Anthony Clemmons or a Joe Toussaint type of player who has the physical abilities to compete in the Big Ten. Hell, bohannon was a fall-back and he’s about to become the all-time assists leader.
Chane, don't take this as coming at you because I really like you as a poster, but the examples you keep giving of "fall back" recruits just aren't really applicable.

Clemmons, Toussaint and bohannon weren't fall back players. They all signed in the early period and all had offers during the summer going into that Fall early signing period.

The only one of those that people might feel is an actual "fall back" player is bohannon, but that is only because Fran struck out on a couple higher rated guys and then ended up settling for bohannon.

Reaction score
You have no argument from me with this. Davis had some weird recruiting choices.
And then he passes on guys like Nate Green (Des Moines Roosevelt) and Anthony Parker (dad played at Iowa), who would have been great fits in a pressing system. Each went on to be MVC POY, at Indiana State and Bradley, respectively.

Some people want to cry about how Davis got the shaft at Iowa, but he made his own bed with numerous bizarre recruiting decisions.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Christian Williams would be a much better example. Trey Dickerson. Dale Jones.

Those guys all were picked up in the Spring after other much better options fell through.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
And then he passes on guys like Nate Green (Des Moines Roosevelt) and Anthony Parker (dad played at Iowa), who would have been great fits in a pressing system. Each went on to be MVC POY, at Indiana State and Bradley, respectively.

Some people want to cry about how Davis got the shaft at Iowa, but he made his own bed with numerous bizarre recruiting decisions.
Loved Dr. Tom, but I still have nightmares of super athletic teams like MSU just shredding his press his last few years. It was so incredibly frustrating to see the game plan appear to be the same no matter the opponent.

douglasbader

Reaction score

I think the following pretty much culminated to Davis getting fired....

- Missed out on Raef
- Embarrassing situations with Jeff Walker and Greg Helmers
- Bizarre recruiting with guys like Gomes, Ramos and phoning it in to play golf
- Disappointing 97-98 year with Dean/Ricky including lethargic effort in NIT game
- Ricky leaving for the NBA after a year

You could argue that Chris Street dying was the beginning of the end for Tom Davis. Follow that up with Settles getting hurt and Kingsbury turning into a drunk/moron was the next step in the downfall and missing out on Raef really accelerated everything with the fans.

Reaction score
There’s always a lot of talk about Davis being lazy in recruiting, which I think is fair. But he also seemed to be in love with the idea of taking credit for developing project players.

It only got worse after he had early success at Iowa with Lohaus, Jepsen and Earl.

douglasbader

Reaction score
There’s always a lot of talk about Davis being lazy in recruiting, which I think is fair. But he also seemed to be in love with the idea of taking credit for developing project players.

It only got worse after he had early success at Iowa with Lohaus, Jepsen and Earl.
Correct, and it was the era of big men and he loved getting big guys he thought he could develop no matter how shitty they looked on paper.

He also was one of the first to have his big men shooting threes and was ahead of the times when it came to that.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score

Nate Green! Now that is a name I haven't heard since I was in middle school.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
The guy that used to give me my recruiting info was Van Colemans business partner. Him and Van did everything in their power to try and convince Tom not to offer Skinner. He basically told them he was an easy recruit to land and they needed a point guard.

CamelTones

Reaction score
We are NOT going to let Camel just waltz in here and rewrite history. Not happening bud.
I know Bowen stuck around in the NBA for a long time plus Rucker and Koch got looks, but the rest of the roster is funny to look at. McCausland and Moore were walk ons that played major minutes. Settles was injured. Rucker did have his best year at Iowa that year averaging almost 11 and 6.

The rest of the roster that played:
Jason Bauer (nickname was Eddie)
Ryan Leuhrsman was a freshman
Vernon Simmons who was also a walk on correct?
Alvin Robinson played in 27 games and I don't remember anything about him other than he transferred to Loyala.

Woolridge drug that team to 12-6 in the Big Ten. It is legitimately insane that he didn't win POY. Averaged 20 and 6. Bowen even missed 3 games. I went to that Minnesota game with my neighbor. Iowa was down 15ish in the second half and Woolridge brought them back only to miss what I think was the game winner at the buzzer. I also forgot to grab my black Nike stocking cap as we left and I remembered as I started walking up the stairs but I was too embarrassed to ask my neighbor if I could go back down and grab it because I was only 11 at the time.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I know Bowen stuck around in the NBA for a long time plus Rucker and Koch got looks, but the rest of the roster is funny to look at. McCausland and Moore were walk ons that played major minutes. Settles was injured. Rucker did have his best year at Iowa that year averaging almost 11 and 6.

The rest of the roster that played:
Jason Bauer (nickname was Eddie)
Ryan Leuhrsman was a freshman
Vernon Simmons who was also a walk on correct?
Alvin Robinson played in 27 games and I don't remember anything about him other than he transferred to Loyala.

Woolridge drug that team to 12-6 in the Big Ten. It is legitimately insane that he didn't win POY. Averaged 20 and 6. Bowen even missed 3 games. I went to that Minnesota game with my neighbor. Iowa was down 15ish in the second half and Woolridge brought them back only to miss what I think was the game winner at the buzzer. I also forgot to grab my black Nike stocking cap as we left and I remembered as I started walking up the stairs but I was too embarrassed to ask my neighbor if I could go back down and grab it because I was only 11 at the time.
I am 99% sure that McCausland was scholarship and not a walk on.

Vernon Simmons was a JUCO scholarship guy.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I am 99% sure that McCausland was scholarship and not a walk on.

Vernon Simmons was a JUCO scholarship guy.
You're right, Kyle Galloway was the walk on 3 point shooter that played a ton of minutes in his career.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Right but wasn’t that a technicality? They basically had him walk on bc he qualified for a presidential scholarship?
Yup, also forgot about that.

What sucks the most is that Sam Okey got injured after only playing 7 games in Davis' last year. Was only going to play half a season because he wanted to play for Davis and no one else.

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
Yup, also forgot about that.

What sucks the most is that Sam Okey got injured after only playing 7 games in Davis' last year. Was only going to play half a season because he wanted to play for Davis and no one else.
Okey had some fucking awesome dunks in those 7 games

Reaction score
IIRC, they offered McCausland a 4-for-5 scholarship, meaning he would be a walk-on his redshirt season and then be on scholarship the remaining years.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
IIRC, they offered McCausland a 4-for-5 scholarship, meaning he would be a walk-on his redshirt season and then be on scholarship the remaining years.
Between Mac's kid and Fredrick, maybe that's the key to finding great shooters.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Despite the well-rated guys he did bring in, Davis's achilles heel was a lack of backup options in recruiting -- like Bobby Cremins, he would go all in on some well-regarded guys and then have garbage as the fallbacks.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
He’s mad they didn’t retire his dad’s number

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Pretty obvious he’s upset about Roy SR’s number not being retired before he died.

Reaction score
Dang. Gotta be about his dad and the number retirement. Fran praises both every chance he gets.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Could be that Barta gave him a NASCAR font jersey as some half assed attempt to say “sorry you’re dying,” idk

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Iowa didn’t exactly handle it well..but I don’t blame them for not retiring his number or even honoring him sooner. The guy was constantly in trouble..drugs, alcohol, driving drunk, driving while drinking, driving while barred, domestic abuse, etc. If Dev can’t understand that then that’s on Dev.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Maybe if he had stayed on the right side of the law that may have been considered

ivan_drago

Reaction score
It’s unfortunate Dev is now denouncing his ties to Iowa. He was a great Hawkeye and great player who, by all accounts, handled himself with class off the court to boot. He’s one of my favorites.

Losing his dad is obviously making him assess things differently and seeing the fanfare Luka is getting is bringing out some other emotions. Those are for him to figure out. Hope he does so, gains some perspective and comes back into the fold later.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
Pharty slumming the replies for a guest radio appearance. That useless piece of shit is going to try to ruin the end to the basketball season isn't he?
He already blocked someone for calling him out.

ivan_drago

Reaction score
KXNO wants an interview too!

fuck them

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
In today’s climate what would have happened if Iowa came out and honored Roy Marble? There would have been major backlash about celebrating an individual with a pretty shady past

CamelTones

Reaction score
The moment they announced they were retiring Garza’s number the first person I thought of was Dev and how pissed he was going to be. He’s been mad since the day they honored his dad but didn’t retire his number.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
The moment they announced they were retiring Garza’s number the first person I thought of was Dev and how pissed he was going to be. He’s been mad since the day they honored his dad but didn’t retire his number.
I dont understand honoring him if you werent retiring his number

CamelTones

Reaction score
I dont understand honoring him if you werent retiring his number
Yeah that whole thing was a little awkward. I’m guessing they felt pressured to do something bc he was about to die...but they also said something like they wouldn’t retire anymore numbers to try and cover for themselves. Fortunately and unfortunately for them Garza came along a couple years after that statement.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I get being upset because he was your dad but surely everyone could see the tough position Iowa was in.