**Gonzaga vs. Iowa Basketball - 12/19/20 - 11:00am - CBS**

Reaction score
That can be said about any team in the top 5-10. Iowa shot poorly compared to the norm, and lost by (only) 11. No team is going to beat a top level team if they have a poor shooting game.
Right, this is so stupid. Our defense didn't play well and gave up too many layups. Suggs was also 2-6 from 3 on the year and hit several pull up 27+ footers on his way to 7-10 yesterday. Two of which were closely contested. When the #1 team has that going, you're probably not going to beat them. And they deserved to win.

This isn't "we should've won if we shot better and they shot worse". This is "we lost because _______"

douglasbader

Posts “Hawks by a million” on Facebook
Reaction score
Bovert used to be a pretty well reasoned guy when it came to sports, but he went full Cyclone loving moron 2 years ago and hasn't looked back since. I like when he disappeared most of the year after Iowa State football was mediocre as fuck and Iowa finished in the Top 15. That was fun.

AZmess

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
My wondering is if he’d still be a spaz if he were getting “regular” minutes and not feeling like he had to be a spark for the team.
Not at this level. You have to know your role and it’s usually pretty well defined.

AZmess

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Ok doug, you are right. Players never turn it over due to trying to do too much.

You win.
white flag.
He’s not trying to “do too much”. You’re reading into it too much.

It’s how he plays. It’s what makes him a valuable asset for the team. You just live with the fuckups from time to time and when he’s extra spazzy you get someone in for him and settle him down.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Bovert used to be a pretty well reasoned guy when it came to sports, but he went full Cyclone loving moron 2 years ago and hasn't looked back since. I like when he disappeared most of the year after Iowa State football was mediocre as fuck and Iowa finished in the Top 15. That was fun.
I am starting to think he is a clone grad too.

coff

Strip Mall Attorney & Scholar
Reaction score
The rebounding was comically atrocious. The 3's didn't fall. I still don't give a fuck how bad our defense is, our offense is good enough to beat anybody at any time on any court.

I really just want Bohannon to quit making lazy passes and Nunge to quit pretending he's Larry Bird.

This team is great still and I'm enjoying every game, even this one.
Unfortunately, Fran still believes this, and refuses to insist that his teams play fundamental defense and rebounding. This game is the predictable result. The Hawks are a very good team. But they will not reach an elite level until they decide to play good defense and rebound.

coff

Reaction score
Yeah you’re right step back threes are pretty easy to hit.
Well, no surprise that you know very little about basketball. There was one particular play in the first half where Suggs had the ball at the top of the key. Joe W. on him, hands down. Suggs did not get a screen, did not dribble and didn't even make a move. Simply rose up and shot over Joe.

L. Wade Childress

Has no idea what you are asking
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Fran still believes this, and refuses to insist that his teams play fundamental defense and rebounding. This game is the predictable result. The Hawks are a very good team. But they will not reach an elite level until they decide to play good defense and rebound.
this game was predictable because Gonzaga is clearly the best team in the country. #2 in offense and #12 in defense. They all have a lot of good players.

L. Wade Childress

Reaction score
Well, no surprise that you know very little about basketball. There was one particular play in the first half where Suggs had the ball at the top of the key. Joe W. on him, hands down. Suggs did not get a screen, did not dribble and didn't even make a move. Simply rose up and shot over Joe.
when a guy is 2-6 from three on the year this is exactly the shot you want them to take.

coff

Reaction score
this game was predictable because Gonzaga is clearly the best team in the country. #2 in offense and #12 in defense. They all have a lot of good players.
Which is even more of a reason to play some solid defense, right?

coff

Reaction score
when a guy is 2-6 from three on the year this is exactly the shot you want them to take.
This is really stupid. No, you don't want to let someone who might be struggling get their confidence back by giving them an uncontested, easy look at a three. If this were unusual, it would be different. But we all know how many shooters seem to have career days against a Fran defense.

douglasbader

Reaction score
This is really stupid. No, you don't want to let someone who might be struggling get their confidence back by giving them an uncontested, easy look at a three. If this were unusual, it would be different. But we all know how many shooters seem to have career days against a Fran defense.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
It isn’t that hard for a true frosh to hit his career high game in any statistical category in the fourth game of his career.

coff

Reaction score
Called what? That Iowa would be ice cold from three and the free throw line?
No, I called that they would lose this game if they played their normal shitty defense. I was right. Even with the cold shooting, had they played even half-assed defense they win this game. Oh well, why should anyone expect one with your absolute lack of basketball knowledge to understand such a basic concept.

douglasbader

Reaction score
No, I called that they would lose this game if they played their normal shitty defense. I was right. Even with the cold shooting, had they played even half-assed defense they win this game. Oh well, why should anyone expect one with your absolute lack of basketball knowledge to understand such a basic concept.
Everything about this post is what makes you Walmart fan. It couldn't be more wrong. The hubris of thinking that if Iowa still shot 4-23 from three and 14-26 from the line that they would have beaten the #1 team in the country with even "half-assed defense" with Gonzaga shooting way above their volume and percentage from three is so fucking dumb you can only find it in the Automotive section.

Reaction score
I know everyone is acting like Iowa would have won that game if they’d shot 3s & FT better but let’s get real, Gonzaga could have scored 120 if they’d needed to.

L. Wade Childress

Reaction score
Hey guys, we are playing the #3 team and they have closed a 20 point lead down to single digits, and the current system rewards us for margin of victory, so we should try to score fewer points.

douglasbader

Reaction score
In the last few posts I have learned from Walmart Coff and Walmart Shawnee that even if Iowa still shot the same they would have beaten the #1 team in the country if they would have played even half-assed defense.

In the next breath I learned that Gonzaga could have scored 120 if they wanted. I also learned from Bovert that if Iowa shoots 4-23 and 14-26 that they can't hang with the #1 team in the country.

Some incredible analysis.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Hey guys, we are playing the #3 team and they have closed a 20 point lead down to single digits, and the current system rewards us for margin of victory, so we should try to score fewer points.
That’s why they made 10 3s in the first half and only went 3-14 in the second half. Because they didn’t want to score 120.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
I know everyone is acting like Iowa would have won that game if they’d shot 3s & FT better but let’s get real, Gonzaga could have scored 120 if they’d needed to.
Dude, two of their three best players fouled out in the last couple minutes. They were pushed. They had to play well to win. And they're a really good team, so when they did play well they won.

Reaction score
In the last few posts I have learned from Walmart Coff and Walmart Shawnee that even if Iowa still shot the same they would have beaten the #1 team in the country if they would have played even half-assed defense.

In the next breath I learned that Gonzaga could have scored 120 if they wanted. I also learned from Bovert that if Iowa shoots 4-23 and 14-26 that they can't hang with the #1 team in the country.

Some incredible analysis.
Shawnee is more of a Target fan ftr

coff

Reaction score
Everything about this post is what makes you Walmart fan. It couldn't be more wrong. The hubris of thinking that if Iowa still shot 4-23 from three and 14-26 from the line that they would have beaten the #1 team in the country with even "half-assed defense" with Gonzaga shooting way above their volume and percentage from three is so fucking dumb you can only find it in the Automotive section.
They had a chance late in the 2nd half to cut the lead to 5 or 6 dumbass. I guess you are content to always lose to higher ranked teams because you are used to being mediocre. How many layups did Gonzaga get because we failed to get back? At least 4-6. How many times did they simply out hustle us for rebounds (several of which actually hit the floor)? How many 50-50 balls did the Hawks get? Are you so fuckin stupid that you don't understand that Gonzaga was shooting above their averages because we played no defense. JFC.

Look, you know very little about basketball, which is no surprise, given you lack of athletic prowess. But this has been a consistent theme among those knowledgeable announcers who have called the Iowa games this year: they will not be among the elite unless they step up their defense.

Revolver

Reaction score
Both sides of the argument are getting pretty insufferable at this point.

Reaction score
So you're part of the "we can just outscore everybody" crew? I'm surprised and disappointed.
I’m actually not, but your argument was anecdotal. You look at a game that has about 75-80 possessions and pick one and say it proves your point.

I’d argue that Iowa held Gonzaga way below their shooting average on 2s and could point to a number of shots that were challenged in close. Iowa could be better on defense but your argument is purely reactionary and based on preconceived bias.

douglasbader

Reaction score
They had a chance late in the 2nd half to cut the lead to 5 or 6 dumbass. I guess you are content to always lose to higher ranked teams because you are used to being mediocre. How many layups did Gonzaga get because we failed to get back? At least 4-6. How many times did they simply out hustle us for rebounds (several of which actually hit the floor)? How many 50-50 balls did the Hawks get? Are you so fuckin stupid that you don't understand that Gonzaga was shooting above their averages because we played no defense. JFC.

Look, you know very little about basketball, which is no surprise, given you lack of athletic prowess. But this has been a consistent theme among those knowledgeable announcers who have called the Iowa games this year: they will not be among the elite unless they step up their defense.
Gonzaga shot far above their three point totals and average because Iowa played no defense.

Lol. Talk about knowing very little about basketball....

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
They seem to have career days because of confirmation bias.
Correct. Iowa is almost exactly at the D1 average in opponents’ three point percentage.

But it certainly feels that way, and to low information individuals, their feelings matter more than facts.

Revolver

Reaction score
No, fuck you with this. Don't feed their stupidity by doing a "both sides" super woke take.
I mainly just meant you saying the same shit over and over again. But Hell, you do you.

L. Wade Childress

Reaction score

is this real life

Doug is exactly right. Fucking wal mart iowa sports fan that DEMANDS EXCELLENCE

sports are a lot more fun when you use information to understand how things may play out instead of I EXPECT TO WIN EVERY GAME mindset.