Hawkeye football video archives

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
It seems like Iowa ran about 15 plays before the 4th quarter. Stanzi made the big plays but was garbage for much of it.

last great game at Kinnick on grass. Being cold AF seemed fitting.
Jared Odrick should have taken the Oline’s girlfriends.

thrawn

Reaction score
Penn State had drives of 19, 11, and 16 plays but finished sub-300 yards. Clutch isn’t really a thing but that game was all clutch from Iowa.

thrawn

Reaction score

The game where Brandon Smith had that long catch, Iowa State scored 3 points, and I assume other stuff happened

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Every poster should be required to watch that video then be put under oath to admit if they ever wanted Tate benched in favor of Jake C. If the answer is yes, they are permanently banned from the football board.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Drew Tate and Spencer Petras played different positions at Iowa.

It's amazing what happens if someone has the ability to take 3 steps or even change directions.

thrawn

Reaction score
Drew Tate and Spencer Petras played different positions at Iowa.

It's amazing what happens if someone has the ability to take 3 steps or even change directions.
With the exception of Christensen, who just sucked in general, the offense has had its best seasons when it’s had a QB who could move (Banks, Tate, Beathard pre-injuries). Iowa’s takeaway has been to get bigger and slower at QB.

Last edited:

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Kirk and Brian certainly are not offensive savants. Plus, backyard football is too risky and unpredictable.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Good old 19 yd net punt from the 39 on the first drive. Kirk has gotten better about that, at least.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Kirk and Brian certainly are not offensive savants. Plus, backyard football is too risky and unpredictable.
I think they are too scared of not having more than 1 competent quarterback on the team. The bar to earn the necessary trust is too high, it fucks everything. Does not explain, at all, the last three years, sure Spence was tall, but he was built like a woman.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
With the exception of Christensen, who just sucked in general, the offense has had its best seasons when it’s hard a QB who could move (Banks, Tate, Beathard pre-injuries). Iowa’s takeaway has been to get bigger and slower at QB.
Brian and Kirk are the living, day-to-day examples of the consequences of nostalgia: although evidence to the contrary is abundant, they are sure that things once were a certain way, so they doggedly attempt to make their present match the past that never was.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
The only comp to Petras is Graham Mertz and I have no idea how he got so shitty after his first game performance that was basically perfect against Illinois.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
And yet what is wrong with Florida that he is their starting QB?

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Not to mention they have an NIL that collapsed.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
With the exception of Christensen, who just sucked in general, the offense has had its best seasons when it’s hard a QB who could move (Banks, Tate, Beathard pre-injuries). Iowa’s takeaway has been to get bigger and slower at QB.
I watched that recent video posted of the ‘02 Iowa-Michigan game. It was crazy how huge the random Banks scrambles were. Will find it and post it here. Sad!

Edit: Here it is…

Mountain Hawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I wish I could find clips from 1956. Today is the anniversary of beating Ohio State 6-0 to go to our first Rose Bowl.

brantshawks

Nebrantska Fan
Reaction score
"....my favorite peanut vendor Stan "Dutch" McAllister was there that day. He was wearing an oversized black jacket."

Reaction score
@ChipHilton, tell us what it was like to be at this game.
Keeping in mind that I was 3...

Iowa's record was 4-1in the conference when Ohio State arrived at Iowa Stadium on November 17, 1956. The proud defending champions, possessors of 17 straight Big 10 victories, were favored to add an Iowa scalp to their impressive, record breaking string.

The manner in which the Iowa team rose to the occasion has become a story of the pride, the desire and unselfish sacrifice which Evashevski expected and received from his players. After a brusing, scoreless first half, Iowa got the ball on its own 37 to start the 3rd quarter. The Hawks went on the march, covered 63 yards in 10 plays, including a climactic 17-yard scoring pass form Kenny Ploen to Jim Gibbons. Bob Prescott missed his first extra point of the year, but Iowa had a 6-0 lead. That was the final score.

So ferocious was the Hawk defense that it permitted Ohio State no advance beyond the Iowa 32 yard line. It permitted only 2 pass completions for 18 yards and limited the Ohio State ground attack, which had rushed for a modern conference record of 465 yards the week before, to only 147. The Bucks were out-first-downed, outscored and stripped of their Big 10 title in the wake of the most important victory ever witnessed on the turf of Iowa Stadium.

The Hawkeyes had earned a Rose bowl trip. That night, at a victory celebration in the Memorial Union, Provost Harvey Davis advised 2000 cheering students that there would be two additional days of Christmas vacation. "An excellent victory deserves one day," he said in measured academic voice "and an extraordinary one deserves two."

Amid the echoes of of celebration came further accolades. Alex Karrasa became the second Hawkeye in two weeks to earn national "lineman of the week" honors. Kenny Ploen was named Midwest Back of the Week and Forest Evashevski received his first 1956 coaching honor: Midwest Coach of the Year by the Chicago Football Writers Association.

*The above came from the book "75 Years With The Fighting Hawkeyes" by Dick Lamb and Bert McGrane.

Reaction score
Have these been posted?

Love Suterman's dad Bud Suter's classic 50s travelog narration here. I can imagine watching the film in the living room of Ozzie and Harriet Nelson, along with their sons David and the irrepressible Ricky.

Mountain Hawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Have these been posted?

Love Suterman's dad Bud Suter's classic 50s travelog narration here. I can imagine watching the film in the living room of Ozzie and Harriet Nelson, along with their sons David and the irrepressible Ricky.

Mom, Dad, and several of the cousins are in that field rush after the Ohio State game. And my aunt is in the Highlander drum line in the Rose Bowl.