**Illinois vs. Iowa Basketball - 2/2/20 - Noon - FS1**

Reaction score
I just rewatched the last minute or so.

1. That McCaffrey pass was both on the money and effortless. He is just making an easy toss and off his back foot. Two players were closing to foul/pressure him. With sixteen seconds left he couldn’t exactly just stand there and do nothing; and

2. McCaffrey absolutely didn’t make any contact or throw any elbow as he as being fouled there at the end. The Illini guard was hacking him and Connor didn’t retaliate. He may have “faked” a small elbow but didn’t even try to connect. There was no contact there.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Ultimately it’s a bit unfortunate that all of the BS takes away from the fact that this was another really good win for this team. They have racked up a bunch of top 25/quad 1 wins. Obviously we’ve seen some painful Februarys in the past, but I don’t foresee that here. This team is setting itself up to not only be in the race for a douche title, but are definitely in the running for a top 4 seed in the NCAAT. Hell of a coaching job by Fran motherfuckin McCaffery

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
So, the conclusion as stated earlier is that Illinois is a bunch of douches
I really didn't have a problem with anything but the assistant coaches. I mean, it's sort of silly, but if they want to play until the very end, so be it. Eades deciding his day is over, and the coaches acting like Connor threw an elbow are different stories.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Luka Garza is the absolute perfect college basketball player in this day and age, and one of the best bargains I can remember since we entered one and done era. Works his ass off, hits 3s, unstoppable on the block, mid range, defends, and likely a 4 year guy. There isn’t a single guy in the country you’d take over him. Pretty incredible what he has developed into at Iowa.
Regular season, yes. The tournament though is another animal and usually determined by guard play.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
And their wins are way up. That dude is garbage.
I'm not sure, but I think it was Bezhanishvili who rolled around Garza for that underhanded layup midway through the second half. That was a fantastic shot.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
I don't believe it was the dunk, it had to be Connor's reaction to their hacking at the end and probably saying something.
No, they had to be pissed before that. They called a TO with 4 seconds left, and no chance to win, and started hacking Connor.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
It sounds like Underwood is being reasonable but he could of not been a dumbass and called a timeout with 4 seconds left. He had time to think about it and still didn't back his guys off coming out of the timeout.
This, 100%

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Oh, look, the person directly involved says HamTard is a moron.....

Agree 100% with this. On the other hand, I think IL probably would not have called the TO and then tried to steal and hack but for the dunk. Connor was the obvious target at the end.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Here's what I think transpired...

Wieskamp gets throw- ahead dunk with 11 seconds left while Illinois is trapping and looking to foul.

Inexplicably, Underwood takes a timeout with 4 seconds left, down 7.

Inexplicably, Underwood sends guys out in full fledged trap and foul mode after the game is decided.

The only explanation is that Illinois was pissed about the throw ahead dunk... (stupidly, I might add) otherwise, there's no explanation for the timeout, or sending your players back out trapping and taking swipes. He was trying to prove some kind of idiotic point.
Exactly.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
If you called an instinctual timeout, then you proceed to tell your guys in the huddle to stand down the game is over.

Illinois came out of the huddle looking to contest, trap, and foul. There's only one explanation for that... they were pissed about something... because in and of itself, that was extremely stupid.
Again, 100% correct.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Because this is such an important issue that we obviously need to spend more time on, I watched the end of the game again and have a detailed breakdown and definitive blow by blow account of what happened....

- The throw ahead dunk happens. Nobody on Illinois bench looks upset. They come down and hit a three.

- Underwood was starting to walk away as the shot went up, but when it goes in he is sort of surprised and then automatically signals for a timeout. He give a sort of "oh shit, nevermind" look when he realizes the score and time.

- Illinois is defending on the inbound, but 2 of the players stand there with their hands up when Fredrick catches it. They clearly weren't fouling because they were told not to foul.

- Fredrick passes it to Connor. Ayo comes running in and starts hacking. Underwood is already walking away to shake hands. He very clearly didn't tell him to foul, Ayo is doing this on his own.

- Connor gives a shoulder and fake elbow to the gut after the ref won't call a foul. It is at this point you see the fat Illinois assistant get up out of his seat suddenly and is locked in on Connor and Ayo.

- The buzzer sounds and I thought originally Connor was yelling back at Ayo and the Assistant, but he actually is yelling at the ref who is quickly following him and talking to him and then the other ref (Eads) comes in suddenly and starts pointing. Connor clearly said something to both of them they didn't like.

- At that same time, the fat Illinois assistant has come out on the court a step and is yelling at Connor. He turns to walk through the line and at that point encounters Fran and continues on his "That's bullshit!" which sets Fran off.

The conclusion from this Zapruder Film breakdown is that it confirms the dunk had nothing to do with what happened. It had nothing to do with Underwood calling the timeout. Underwood didn't tell his guys to foul after the timeout. The fat Illinois assistant wasn't mad about the dunk. Everything had to do with Connor throwing a shoulder and fake elbow at their star player.

@Mods you can now lock this stupid thread.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
Pretty sure there are conference rules about coaches commenting on refs, and perhaps we'll find out whether there are similar rules applicable to players. In any event, Connor's comments were spot on, and had the refs done their fucking job and called a foul, all of what ensued might've been avoided.

I would assume both coaching staffs will hear something from the commish about the handshake line.

For as many Illinois fans as there were in the arena, there was only one time when they really got going on the "I-L-L-I-N-I" chant, and a rally put an end to that.

March 8 is going to be one hell of an intense game.

The Hawks have struggled to get going on offense the last couple of games and they really need to get that straightened out before heading into the tournaments. They have the potential for a really good finish and postseason. Definitely among the most fun Iowa teams ever to watch.

Last edited:

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
Because this is such an important issue that we obviously need to spend more time on, I watched the end of the game again and have a detailed breakdown and definitive blow by blow account of what happened....

- The throw ahead dunk happens. Nobody on Illinois bench looks upset. They come down and hit a three.

- Underwood was starting to walk away as the shot went up, but when it goes in he is sort of surprised and then automatically signals for a timeout. He give a sort of "oh shit, nevermind" look when he realizes the score and time.

- Illinois is defending on the inbound, but 2 of the players stand there with their hands up when Fredrick catches it. They clearly weren't fouling because they were told not to foul.

- Fredrick passes it to Connor. Ayo comes running in and starts hacking. Underwood is already walking away to shake hands. He very clearly didn't tell him to foul, Ayo is doing this on his own.

- Connor gives a shoulder and fake elbow to the gut after the ref won't call a foul. It is at this point you see the fat Illinois assistant get up out of his seat suddenly and is locked in on Connor and Ayo.

- The buzzer sounds and I thought originally Connor was yelling back at Ayo and the Assistant, but he actually is yelling at the ref who is quickly following him and talking to him and then the other ref (Eads) comes in suddenly and starts pointing. Connor clearly said something to both of them they didn't like.

- At that same time, the fat Illinois assistant has come out on the court a step and is yelling at Connor. He turns to walk through the line and at that point encounters Fran and continues on his "That's bullshit!" which sets Fran off.

The conclusion from this Zapruder Film breakdown is that it confirms the dunk had nothing to do with what happened. It had nothing to do with Underwood calling the timeout. Underwood didn't tell his guys to foul after the timeout. The fat Illinois assistant wasn't mad about the dunk. Everything had to do with Connor throwing a shoulder and fake elbow at their star player.

@Mods you can now lock this stupid thread.
You're wrong, won't admit you're wrong, double down on your wrongness, then have to have the last word while still being wrong.

But it's not super-important and here's a pre-emptive GFY.

sergeanthulka

Reaction score
Except he's not wrong.
He is wrong. As head-scratching as being pissed about a breakaway dunk when your players are still pressing...Even more head-scratching is a timeout with 4 seconds left, down 7, followed by a meeting with your players where you apologize to them for calling an 'instinctual' timeout, but that you want them to not contest the inbounds & not foul....The players completely ignore their head coach & decide to press & hack anyway, almost causing a huge dust-up in the process.

No. They were following orders coming out of that huddle.

douglasbader

Reaction score
He is wrong. As head-scratching as being pissed about a breakaway dunk when your players are still pressing...Even more head-scratching is a timeout with 4 seconds left, down 7, followed by a meeting with your players where you apologize to them for calling an 'instinctual' timeout, but that you want them to not contest the inbounds & not foul....The players completely ignore their head coach & decide to press & hack anyway, almost causing a huge dust-up in the process.

It wasn't players. It was one player. The 2 players in the corner that had Fredrick trapped weren't fouling or hacking. Underwood was already walking away to go through the handshake line when Connor got the ball.

It is the reason Underwood and one other guy were the only coaches or players on Illinois that went through and shook every coach and players hand.

Watch the video. You're the one who is embarrassingly wrong.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
As my man @BBK would say, I bet we could find out if Ayo was hacking by using technology.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Imagine the absurdity of "they were following orders" scenario.

Brad Underwood is going to risk sending his star player out to hack Connor McCaffery with the intention of starting a confrontation that might start a fight and result in suspensions.

Lol.

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

Brad Underwood is going to risk sending his star player out to hack Connor McCaffery with the intention of starting a confrontation that might start a fight and result in suspensions.

Lol.
Underwood was slobbing Iowa and Frans knob in his post game presser.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
LOL. I get that you're the type of person where the world only makes sense by assuming there are nefarious elements everywhere, but do you really think Underwood called a timeout to put his best player in some incident-provoking situation that could result in a suspension?

Or, could it be that in order to reinforce the mindset that if you're on the court you're giving 100% no matter what, more and more coaches are having their players play hard until the final buzzer. The problem is it sometimes catches the refs off-guard.

sergeanthulka

Reaction score
It wasn't players. It was one player. The 2 players in the corner that had Fredrick trapped weren't fouling or hacking. Underwood was already walking away to go through the handshake line when Connor got the ball.

It is the reason Underwood and one other guy were the only coaches or players on Illinois that went through and shook every coach and players hand.

Watch the video. You're the one who is embarrassingly wrong.
You watch the video. Underwood is standing in the coaching box orchestrating pressure defense...they are in full-fledged denial of both Hawkeye players in the backcourt. Once inbounded, they are in the process of trapping Frederich when he passes the ball. He may not have instructed them to continue fouling, but he sure as hell was still pressing & trapping...which is almost as stupid.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Dude. Underwood probably told them not to foul but that they should go for the steal. Watch the last few seconds. That Illinois assistant got pissed because from his angle it looked like Connor threw an elbow at Ayo
I do think there is something to this. Connor certainly didn't throw an elbow, but from the right angle it could look like he did. Other than that, why was that fucker so pissed?

sergeanthulka

Reaction score

Lol.
LOL. The hacking of Connor is just the end of multiple bad decisions.

1.) He shouldn't have called the TO in the first place, the game was over. Nothing good can come of a TO down 7, with 4 seconds left.

2.) If he did call TO 'instictually', he could have left his team on the court with instructions to stand down.

3.) BU clearly has his guys pressing & denying...which - see #1 - is beyond dumb & is absolutely risking an unnecessary dustup.

4.) There are 2 guys coming to trap Frederich, which is why he unloads the ball to Connor. They are still not standing down...but he passes the ball before they have a chance to take a swipe.

5.) Ayo takes multiple swipes at Connor.

Underwood absolutely sent guys out on the floor in an aggressive posture in a game that was OVER. That in & of itself was beyond dumb & led to his players taking unnecessary swipes at Connor. The blame falls, first & foremost on Underwood, for allowing - if not orchestrating - all of the above to happen...including not having better control of his a-hole assistants.

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

1.) He shouldn't have called the TO in the first place, the game was over. Nothing good can come of a TO down 7, with 4 seconds left.

2.) If he did call TO 'instictually', he could have left his team on the court with instructions to stand down.

3.) BU clearly has his guys pressing & denying...which - see #1 - is beyond dumb & is absolutely risking an unnecessary dustup.

4.) There are 2 guys coming to trap Frederich, which is why he unloads the ball to Connor. They are still not standing down...but he passes the ball before they have a chance to take a swipe.

Underwood absolutely sent guys out on the floor in an aggressive posture in a game that was OVER. That in & of itself was beyond dumb & led to his players taking unnecessary swipes at Connor. The blame falls, first & foremost on Underwood, for allowing - if not orchestrating - all of the above to happen...including not having better control of his a-hole assistants.
Did you watch Connors post game interview? Break that down for us.

douglasbader

Reaction score
You're horribly wrong and I think you might be retarded.

sergeanthulka

Reaction score
You're horribly wrong and I think you might be retarded.
WATCH THE VIDEO!!!

Watches the video & dougie totally misrepresents the footage. Dougie alleges that one guy goes rogue coming out of the huddle. LOL. Illinois is still full court pressing, denying the entry, & trapping (with Underwood completely engaged & conducting) in a game that is completely over.

LOL...peak dougie.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score

Rhodes

sergeanthulka

Reaction score
14.7 seconds left, after the blown layup, Underwood then Chin start telling their guys to back off & not foul...but Connor is already loading up for the pass to Wieskamp.

They are pissed at the dunk, (and perhaps pissed at the antics, thereafter) which led to multiple other bad decisions.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Can you imagine what this place would be like with a giant douche enchilada?