- Indiana vs Iowa. 1/21/21. 8:00pm. FS1 -

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Just a perfect storm. The bench was bad 1st half when they came in, we recovered but then with no CJ we just didn't have much rhythm 2nd half. Defense got sloppy, they started hitting 3's and we couldn't buy a bucket. Then Luka got out of sorts with the blitzes and had a few turnovers. Ball stuck offensively. Hopefully good for them long term.
Not a whole lot to complain about with Connor, but always feel like he is just a detriment when they are in a game that desperately needs the pace to be pushed. He tends to pound the ball out too much and stalls them out.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I hope Fredrick being out doesn't mean more time for Nunge at PF. He just eats up Garza's space offensively and is a liability defensively at the 4.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I’m still most disappointed by the lack of playing Joe T or Ulis.

Up until the end when Joe scored 7 points only Garza, Weiskamp (1 fucking point), Murray and Nunge (3pts I think) had scored in the second half.

if obviously wasn’t working with Jordan but he played 33 minutes tonight. I don’t think Joe T entered the game in the second half until the final 2 min

Reaction score
Just so @SuperHans doesnt spaz out, this is NOT a blaming the refs comment. But the officiating was shitty. On both sides of the court. They’d call ticky tack shit one possession and then let tons of contact go the next. It’s awfully hard to get in a rhythm or flow with that going on. And it isn’t the first time we’ve seen Iowa struggle when games get overly physical or having to deal with inconsistent officiating. This years team has been significantly more “mentally tough,” but tonight just reminded me of some of the Iowa teams we’ve seen in years past. I don’t even think it looked like they “folded” or “crumbled.” It looked like eyes rolling “fuck this stupid shit” type of body language
Super inconsistent on both ends.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I hope Fredrick being out doesn't mean more time for Nunge at PF. He just eats up Garza's space offensively and is a liability defensively at the 4.
The bulk of Nunge’s minutes need to be at the 5 with the second team; not at 4 alongside Luka.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Nunge and Joe T slowly moving up my annoying list. Nunge solid at rebounding and scrapping around the rim, but him doing too much elsewhere is getting frustrating. Joe T trying to do too much and go to fast is frustrating too. It’s like they just don’t get it.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Nunge and Joe T slowly moving up my annoying list. Nunge solid at rebounding and scrapping around the rim, but him doing too much elsewhere is getting frustrating. Joe T trying to do too much and go to fast is frustrating too. It’s like they just don’t get it.
Scooooped. A lot.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
Not a whole lot to complain about with Connor, but always feel like he is just a detriment when they are in a game that desperately needs the pace to be pushed. He tends to pound the ball out too much and stalls them out.
It also hurts when he’s no threat to score and bohannon isn’t doing anything on offense. Teams mostly ignore him on offense to begin with but it really hurts when both your guards are non scorers

Reaction score
That's how I feel about Joe T. I know what you're saying with Connor but generally it's because he's patient and then makes the right play. Joe T. bounces it with no plan.

Overall, kind of a smaller version of Nebrantska last year in the 2nd half. Pace slowed down, they swarmed Luka and we didn't have shooters hitting anything.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Nunge looks like a fish out of water when he gets away from the rim. I sort of hope someone does a compilation of his drives to the rim. They’re comically uncoordinated, and often, horrifically timed

Reaction score
I’m still most disappointed by the lack of playing Joe T or Ulis.

Up until the end when Joe scored 7 points only Garza, Weiskamp (1 fucking point), Murray and Nunge (3pts I think) had scored in the second half.

if obviously wasn’t working with Jordan but he played 33 minutes tonight. I don’t think Joe T entered the game in the second half until the final 2 min
With CJ out, I don't think the correct recipe was putting more non-shooters out there. I get what you're saying but Jordan can go 0-5 and then drill 4 in a row. Without CJ, we need him and Joe out there most of the time.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
That's how I feel about Joe T. I know what you're saying with Connor but generally it's because he's patient and then makes the right play. Joe T. bounces it with no plan.

Overall, kind of a smaller version of Nebrantska last year in the 2nd half. Pace slowed down, they swarmed Luka and we didn't have shooters hitting anything.
I bet that but tonight his pace of play and ability to get to the basket would have been welcomed when we couldn’t score.

if Fran doesn’t want to play him I can live with that if they give Ulis a shot

Reaction score
I didn’t realize Jackson-Davis was inept from behind the arc. Hasn’t even shot one this year.

They really aren’t good shooters. Nobody above 40% from 3 in conference play.
8-17 from 3 tonight. One of the worst 3P shooting teams and the worst 3P defending team in the league. We went 5-23.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
With CJ out, I don't think the correct recipe was putting more non-shooters out there. I get what you're saying but Jordan can go 0-5 and then drill 4 in a row. Without CJ, we need him and Joe out there most of the time.
Good point. Perhaps a lineup of both Joe’s, Jordan Garza and Murray would have been better (I don’t think they did that tonight) and let touisssnt create and maybe get Jordan some uncontested open looks

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
8-17 from 3 tonight. One of the worst 3P shooting teams and the worst 3P defending team in the league. We went 5-23.
In my limited memory, it feels like every time Iowa drops a game like this, it correlates strongly to abysmal 3 PT shooting. It would be nice to have an offense to go to when the shots just aren’t falling that night......

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Odds are we won’t shoot that poorly from three the rest of the year so hopefully this is what the Nebrantska loss was a year ago. Still a lot of other things to be fixed clearly, but as pissed as I am we’ll be fine. It just sucks we can’t watch them absolutely blow the doors off Nebrantska on Sunday.

I’d say I’m surprised the conference hasn’t allowed some flexibility with the schedule, but we all saw how football went and the same nimrods are in charge.

Reaction score
-We were 48% from 2 on 40 attempts, they were 50% on 36 attempts.
-We killed them on the glass grabbing 43% of our misses, they got 24% of theirs.
-We had 12 turnovers to their 8, slight edge for them.
-We were 16-21 at the line, they were 21-35.
-They were 8-17 from 3, we were 5-23.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Archie is a magician. Made Weiskamp disappear in the 2nd half

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Also, it was criminal that Luka was out for stretches/didn’t get more touches when their two bigs were in foul trouble in the early/mid second half.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
In my limited memory, it feels like every time Iowa drops a game like this, it correlates strongly to abysmal 3 PT shooting. It would be nice to have an offense to go to when the shots just aren’t falling that night......
I guess I don't really understand this logic. If you're a shooter and you're getting good looks in the flow of the offense then you should keep shooting. It didn't feel like a bunch of forced shots. Yes, losses will correlate to bad shooting nights.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Good point. Perhaps a lineup of both Joe’s, Jordan Garza and Murray would have been better (I don’t think they did that tonight) and let touisssnt create and maybe get Jordan some uncontested open looks
The problem with Connor being out is the quality of Garza's touches go down.

In the end, bohannon needs to hit shots.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
This is how shit works when you are #4 in the country. Same as the Iowa-Ohio St football game from a couple years back. It’s a lot tougher at the top - always a huge target. These losses are good in hoops IMO. Football has a much smaller margin though.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Big turn was the final possession before halftime. Had the ball up 7 and turn it over on the shot clock and only lead by 5 at half.

Reaction score
Joe W. was 3-5 from 3 and Connor was 1-2. Everyone else was 1-16 and that was Luka's make in the last minute. That's just not gonna happen again. We got 10 more FGA than they did and the 2's evened out.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I mean, we have the best post player in the country. And when you shoot 3’s like we do, you need to keep shooting them, and then shoot more. You don’t stop doing what you are elite at.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
For anyone thinking that was a "bad" loss, it really wasn't.

Indiana now up to #22 in KenPom. Iowa still at #3 overall with the #1 offense.

The only thing that sucks is they dropped to #90 on defense, and that is all because they were fouling at the end and the score got inflated.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Fuck Hassel.
Agreed, but I’m assuming you know my comment referenced Kenyon’s tweet. At some point we can’t just keep whining about the douche officiating and need to get over it. It’s like playing every Izzo team ever - if they won’t call shit then adapt and play more physical.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
Agreed, but I’m assuming you know my comment referenced Kenyon’s tweet. At some point we can’t just keep whining about the douche officiating and need to get over it. It’s like playing every Izzo team ever - if they won’t call shit then adapt and play more physical.
Iowa’s personnel isn’t equipped for that. Fran’s teams rarely have been. Someone in the Big Ten needs to grow some balls and clean this shit up, because it is a horrible fucking product and damn near unwatchable.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
For anyone thinking that was a "bad" loss, it really wasn't.

Indiana now up to #22 in KenPom. Iowa still at #3 overall with the #1 offense.

The only thing that sucks is they dropped to #90 on defense, and that is all because they were fouling at the end and the score got inflated.
It was a bad loss in terms of winning the big 10.

Reaction score
Frederick not being in the there for the 2nd half hurt a lot. Indiana didn’t need to worry about Iowa’s 2 guard shooting from the outside. Then add Murray picking up his 3rd foul pretty early on in the 2nd half, that took away the one guy outside of Garza who was scoring within the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half.

Sucks they lost, but like others have said, learn from it and get ready for the next one.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
Fran also looked a little confused once Fredrick got hurt and Murray got into foul trouble. He stuck with a lineup of Garza, bohannon who wasn't giving much, Patrick, Perkins and Nunge. They looked completely lost and he hung with those five for a bit.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
The fact that this game was played the way it was and Indiana shot 14 more free throws is maddening

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Indiana should have won by at least 20. Missed a shit ton of easy baskets around the rim and we're a dismal 9-19 from the line before we started fouling.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Shawnee does not think this is a final four caliber team. Possibly sweet 16 but that’s the ceiling.
This is a horrible take, but the bow was for referring to yourself in the third person.

Don’t do that.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Iowa’s personnel isn’t equipped for that. Fran’s teams rarely have been. Someone in the Big Ten needs to grow some balls and clean this shit up, because it is a horrible fucking product and damn near unwatchable.
Except it’s not. People continue to watch and glorify it as tough defense. It’s past time to quit bitching about it.