**Iowa at Rutgers - 2/16/19 - 5 pm - FS1**

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Now that I’m sober again... why the hell is Connor playing more than Moss in the second half?
Connor down the stretch because Fran was running Jordan off of screens. Can’t really do that if you don’t have another solid ball handler (no homo) in the game
I have no idea why people are questioning this when the strategy has completely got Jordan loose down the stretch of the last two games after being relatively bottled up at PG in the first half.
there's no reason why you cant have Connor, bohannon and Moss all in at the same time.

especially when Moss is hot. He had 17 points with 12 minutes left in the game and hardly played after that.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Pikiell seems like a good coach but lol at not putting anyone on the inbounder at the end.
Fran had a smart play drawn up. They had two guys chasing bohannon on the other side of the court.
I loved it. You could have maybe put Cook out there instead of Baer given that the plan was to tap the ball somewhere. I loved having moss coming to the wing from halfcourt opposite Jordan while Joe to the longer route through the lane to the corner. Given that we were only down 1 that held the defender long enough.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Connor down the stretch because Fran was running Jordan off of screens. Can’t really do that if you don’t have another solid ball handler (no homo) in the game
I have no idea why people are questioning this when the strategy has completely got Jordan loose down the stretch of the last two games after being relatively bottled up at PG in the first half.
there's no reason why you cant have Connor, bohannon and Moss all in at the same time.

especially when Moss is hot. He had 17 points with 12 minutes left in the game and hardly played after that.
It’s a Moss or Joe decision at that point though. I would also take Joe given he’s the better ball handler and rebounder.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
The RAC was a hornet’s nest tonight. Might not be considered a great win by the metrics, but it was a helluva win imo.
It's actually still a resume win. Rutgers isn't great but it's a top 100 win on the road.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

As was pointed out last night, Moss continued to sit because the group that was in went on a huge run and were in a great flow.

They did bring Moss back in and he took a bad shot, immediately committed a dumb weak foul for a three point play and then made a horrible decision to cross over while being tightly guarded and turned the ball over for a layup. He was immediately pulled after that.

Moss has been doing great, but he simply isn't as reliable late in games as a ball handler. He still does play late though, he had the driving shot against Northwestern to cut it to 1 and he was in on the last play against Rutgers.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Pikiell seems like a good coach but lol at not putting anyone on the inbounder at the end.
Fran had a smart play drawn up. They had two guys chasing bohannon on the other side of the court.
No doubt he basically used bohannon as a decoy. Just seemed odd they would allow Connor an easy window to throw a pass in that situation.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
the only things that moss does better than connor are shoot and get himself out of position on defense.

last 10 min, I'll take connor's passing, vision, and instincts over moss.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

As was pointed out last night, Moss continued to sit because the group that was in went on a huge run and were in a great flow.

They did bring Moss back in and he took a bad shot, immediately committed a dumb weak foul for a three point play and then made a horrible decision to cross over while being tightly guarded and turned the ball over for a layup. He was immediately pulled after that.

Moss has been doing great, but he simply isn't as reliable late in games as a ball handler. He still does play late though, he had the driving shot against Northwestern to cut it to 1 and he was in on the last play against Rutgers.
I'm not of the school of thought that thinks an open 10 foot shot is a "bad shot."

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
the only things that moss does better than connor are shoot and get himself out of position on defense.

Connor played great D on Law at the end of the NW game that forced a bad three and allowed us to have a chance.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

Connor played 16 minutes, had 2 points, went 0-2 from the field, zero rebounds, zero assists, zero steals 1 turnover.

He is a better dribbler. That's valuable at times but its really all he brings to the table.

But Iowa won so arguing about this is dumb.

douglasbader

Reaction score

Connor played 16 minutes, had 2 points, went 0-2 from the field, zero rebounds, zero assists, zero steals 1 turnover.

He is a better dribbler. That's valuable at times but its really all he brings to the table.

Moss is black and a victim. Connor is white and a coach's kid.

We get it.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I personally don't think Conner is all that good, but based on what Iowa needed last night in that second half with the way Rutgers was mugging on D, it was the right choice. He's also a better defender. Edit - the other obvious thing is that it allows Fran to run bohannon off screens, and Moss can't be used as a primary ballhandler where Conner can.

It was also odd because chat kept asking "WHERE IS MOSS?" while Iowa was closing the gap and taking the lead.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I personally don't think Conner is good but based on what Iowa needed last night in that second half with the way Rutgers was mugging on D, it was the right choice. It was also odd because chat kept asking "WHERE IS MOSS?" while Iowa was closing the gap and taking the lead.
Exactly this.

Iowa was terrible last year because they didn't have anyone other than bohannon that could dribble. This year they have another guy and are 20-5 due to that and other key changes like Wieskamp instead of Wagner/Ellingson.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
I was hugging strangers at the bar. And that was before Joe even made the shot

Reaction score
In the locker room video you can see Moss and Dailey jump out of there as Joe comes in. Maybe they were going for an all white guy celebration as a joke.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Connor is still deferring too much. He’s been less aggressive getting into the lane. For example yesterday once it looked like he had a reasonable path to the hoop and he made a tough kick out instead of shooting.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Iowa was terrible last year because they didn't have anyone other than bohannon that could dribble. This year they have another guy and are 20-5 due to that and other key changes like Wieskamp instead of Wagner/Ellingson.
Right. The thing is, Jordon is more of a combo guard than a real PG. And then you have Conner who can dribble but not shoot and Moss who can shoot but not dribble. So the particular game situation just dictates whether you'll see more Conner/bohannon or bohannon/Moss. Last night they needed ballhandlers.

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
the offense flows all right with connor in -- he's a glue guy, and better than his stats. if he fixes that broke-ass shot, he'll be a plus player.

right now he's like some kind of twisted troy skinner-eric may love child, but he's what fran has on the bench as a backup guard.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Connor is still deferring too much. He’s been less aggressive getting into the lane. For example yesterday once it looked like he had a reasonable path to the hoop and he made a tough kick out instead of shooting.
Yeah. I also saw him pass up at least two decent outside looks. It really hurts the post guys when he does that.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
For some young Rutgers fan in the crowd , Wieskamp is basically gonna be like our Andy Kaufman -Illinois nightmare for decades to come.

Bob

Reaction score
Yeah. I also saw him pass up at least two decent outside looks. It really hurts the post guys when he does that.
Well he's open outside for a reason. Everyone is going to sag way off and dare him to shoot because he hasn't shown that he can on anything except free throws. He does good things but unless he's getting a friendly whistle he can't score.

I wish they'd start staggering he and Dailey a little more. Let Moss play with the second unit more earlier in the game if you don't want him to close because you need the extra ball handling. All the minutes with Connor and Dailey together are death.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Fran will have some hard choices to make next year with playing time. If Touisant is as good as most expect, who's getting less minutes at guard?

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Fran will have some hard choices to make next year with playing time. If Touisant is as good as most expect, who's getting less minutes at guard?
Toussaint looks like one of those players who can penetrate whenever he wants. My Penus is very erect in what that could do for bohannon and Joe.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Toussaint looks like one of those players who can penetrate whenever he wants. My Penus is very erect in what that could do for bohannon and Joe.
yeah you know Margaret won't have Connors minutes getting cut.

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
If Toussaint is legit, Frederick sits a lot.

Connor and Toussaint as a second unit could run Toussaint off the ball on offense.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
This thread just became less fun.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
The reality is that Iowa is a better team for having Connor McCaffery on the squad. We also have zero evidence that Fran will give his kid unwarranted PT.

Let it play out.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Baer is a good rebounder but I would have brought Moss in for him. Neither is a great defender but I’d prefer moss on the offensive end

Late games i wouldn’t mind moss, connor, Jordan, joe and whichever big is playing defense and rebounding.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
The reality is that Iowa is a better team for having Connor McCaffery on the squad. We also have zero evidence that Fran will give his kid unwarranted PT.

Let it play out.
You know Margaret won’t let it play out

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score

LOL at the notion that dribbling is the only thing that McCaffery does better than Moss.

The bias against coaches and their kids runs awfully deep.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
the offense flows all right with connor in -- he's a glue guy, and better than his stats. if he fixes that broke-ass shot, he'll be a plus player.

right now he's like some kind of twisted troy skinner-eric may love child, but he's what fran has on the bench as a backup guard.
He shot 40% in high school, 35% on the summer trip last year, and was 1-2 last year. He will come around. I’m guessing it’s some combination of having a ton of time off, lifting, and baseball.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

LOL at the notion that dribbling is the only thing that McCaffery does better than Moss.

The bias against coaches and their kids runs awfully deep.
he's a complementary player. He's fine as a role player.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
It seems like 25% of Rutgers points came off live ball turnovers. Just having someone handle the pressure and get bohannon some rest was a big deal.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Nicholas Baer’s return to form this year is probably under appreciated. He’s not going to win 6th man of the year again, but he’s finishing his career out strong like a bunch of other seniors under Fran. He’s just a guy who knows and executes his role so well.

Bob

Reaction score
Nicholas Baer’s return to form this year is probably under appreciated. He’s not going to win 6th man of the year again, but he’s finishing his career out strong like a bunch of other seniors under Fran. He’s just a guy who knows and executes his role so well.
He's awesome and would start for most of the conference. Hits threes, stuffs the stat sheet, can hold his own at both forward spots, and is the closest thing on the team to a decent defender.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
I’m guessing Connor will make a leap forward in contributing next year. He’s had a rough start to the college level

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
He's awesome and would start for most of the conference. Hits threes, stuffs the stat sheet, can hold his own at both forward spots, and is the closest thing on the team to a decent defender.
I’m going to take you to outrageous claims court. Baer hustles his ass off which helps but he’s a terrible defender.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Well he's open outside for a reason. Everyone is going to sag way off and dare him to shoot because he hasn't shown that he can on anything except free throws. He does good things but unless he's getting a friendly whistle he can't score.

I wish they'd start staggering he and Dailey a little more. Let Moss play with the second unit more earlier in the game if you don't want him to close because you need the extra ball handling. All the minutes with Connor and Dailey together are death.
This isn’t a “well...” this is exactly what I’m saying. Because he keeps passing up shots teams can sag off him and collapse on the post guys.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
If Baer is able to catch that ball instead of tipping it, the 2 guys guarding bohannon didn’t exactly hustle down with him down court and he would have had a wide open kick out 3. Just a beautiful play all around.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
Connor’s biggest attribute is having the strength/feel to initiate the offense deep into the defense. It won’t show up in the stats but it’s a huge benefit.

And I think his competive presence is one of the biggest differences in this years team.

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
I’m going to take you to outrageous claims court. Baer hustles his ass off which helps but he’s a terrible defender.
he is less lost in the zone than most of the others, so in contrast he looks ok

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
Baer is absolutely not a terrible defender. Gets a hand in the face of a lot of shots and a lot of deflections.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Baer can block shots on defense and is good in the press, but he is an atrocious defender. He is one of the most clueless guys on the team when it comes to defense.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Baer can block shots on defense and is good in the press, but he is an atrocious defender. He is one of the most clueless guys on the team when it comes to defense.
He blocks shots and gets steals because he goes hard but it’s also why he over commits and his guy gets open shots.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
His ability to close out and get a hand in the face of wing shooters is under appreciated. He’s not great but he’s certainly not a bad overall defender.

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
Cook has had three straight games that he has played 37 minutes and only committed 2 turnovers. That's four straight since the Minnesota debacle that he has only turned it over twice. He was really under control last night which was huge because the Rutgers defense would have had a field day with Minnesota Cook.