Iowa @ Michigan State Basketball Thread ~ 2/13/21 ~ 1:30pm ~ FOX

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Luka is also due for a breakout at some point. He has been going through a bad stretch and that will not continue forever.
Agreed. I think this has helped the team. During the tough stretch, it seemed like the rest of the team was kind of waiting for Garza to bail them out. This game should demonstrate that others can contribute, and that should give Garza more room to operate.

Reaction score
The problem with the defense is when it's been bad, it's been terrible. They've been solid more often than not statistically.

14 Big Ten games. They've held the opponent under 1 PPP 5 times. 4 other times they've been between 1.01-1.06 which is below average but almost always good enough for our offense.

Illinois 1.14, Indiana 1.19, MSU 1.20, OSU 1.27 and Minnesota 1.33 kill the overall averages. Going into the first IU game they were up to 71 in the country. At that point, they had only had two "bad" games all year, Minnesota and Gonzaga. The Minnesota game was kind of flukey in that they were just over 1 PPP until the last minute + OT when they went nuts. Having 4 of those 5 bad games consecutively killed the totals. They've followed with 3 solid games.

TL;DR, they were awful for a 4 game stretch but on the whole, have been consistently average-above average defensively throughout the year. That stretch had opponents shooting 42-97 (43%) from 3.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
Per 247 composite ratings, Michigan State started:

Malik Hall - 4* #61
Marcus Bingham - 4*, #66
Aaron Henry - 3*, #140
Foster Loyer - 4*, #96
Joshua Langford - 5*, #19

Their top 3 guys off the bench:

Gabe Brown - 4*, #101
Joey Hauser - 4*, #52
AJ Hoggard - 4*, #69

How did they get so shitty? I understand that they're not loaded with blue chip guys, but they shouldn't be bad.
Will likely be the first time since 1997 that they don't make the tourney.

All of those guys, apart from maybe Henry, are disappointments.

Reaction score
It’s the truth.....analytically. Much different teams, of course.
I know, just giving you shit. That was a super fun team and one of my favorite non-Iowa teams to ever watch. 4 guards, shooters everywhere. Could explode for huge stretches. Watched a ton of CBB in those years and the KU games they had that year were classics.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score

Malik Hall - 4* #61
Marcus Bingham - 4*, #66
Aaron Henry - 3*, #140
Foster Loyer - 4*, #96

Gabe Brown - 4*, #101
Joey Hauser - 4*, #52
AJ Hoggard - 4*, #69

How did they get so shitty? I understand that they're not loaded with blue chip guys, but they shouldn't be bad.
That didn’t even include Rocket Watts who was a 4* top 40 recruit.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
The way Wieskamp is getting shots is very repeatable. He won’t always shoot that well, but he will always be able to get those looks, and he will shoot well enough.

Last edited:

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

Malik Hall - 4* #61
Marcus Bingham - 4*, #66
Aaron Henry - 3*, #140
Foster Loyer - 4*, #96

Gabe Brown - 4*, #101
Joey Hauser - 4*, #52
AJ Hoggard - 4*, #69

FWIW, Iowa started:

Jordan bohannon - 3*, #312
Connor McCaffery - 3*, #152
Joe Weiskamp - 4*, #60
Keegan Murray - 3*, #332
Luka Garza - 4*, #118

Patrick McCaffery - 4*, #86
Jack Nunge - 3*, #202
Joe Toussiant - 3*, #293

Iowa's two best players would be like the 6th or 7th most highly recruited players on this "down" Michigan State team. I get getting frustrated with Fran sometimes, but LOL at people who think that he can't coach.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Loyer is a poor mans JBo. Howtf was he the 96th rated recruit?
I just watched the highlight clip he has on rivals from an AAU tournament. He mostly just shot 3s. He might be ok as a 2 guard.

MoneyPit

Cheers for the best looking H.S. girls team
Reaction score
Loyer 4 stars. GTFO

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
Are you “crediting” someone if you say they hit shots they usually don’t? That seems orettt back-handed.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Loyer 4 stars. GTFO
247 had him as a 3 star. ESPN & Rivals both had him as a 4*. Two thoughts here:

1) Probably some sort of bump for the MSU offer. He did have a Purdue and DePaul offer as well though.

2) I think this highlights something about Iowa fan expectations (RIP @Monster) because Iowa basketball hasn't recruited that great. It's like we expect every 4* player to be a lottery pick or something. Again, it kind of makes me marvel at people who think that Fran can't coach because this roster of players might be a #3 or #4 seed this year.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Izzo starting (when radio cut in) with Connor, Keegan, and Nunge’s 3pt percentages is the cherry on top of a perfect game. Thanks, Tom.
This is fair. Connor, Keegan, and Nunge went 7-10 from 3 today. Coming into today, those 3 were a combined .296 from 3 point range. If they made 3s at their season averages today, then Iowa would have only won by 18 points at the Breslin Center.

MoneyPit

Cheers for the best looking H.S. girls team
Reaction score
247 had him as a 3 star. ESPN & Rivals both had him as a 4*. Two thoughts here:

1) Probably some sort of bump for the MSU offer. He did have a Purdue and DePaul offer as well though.

2) I think this highlights something about Iowa fan expectations (RIP @Monster) because Iowa basketball hasn't recruited that great. It's like we expect every 4* player to be a lottery pick or something. Again, it kind of makes me marvel at people who think that Fran can't coach because this roster of players might be a #3 or #4 seed this year.
I can see the recruiting angle being a bump. Ranking these kids is no doubt difficult given competition levels. Sometimes the ranking doesn't translate to performance. We learned that with Iowa football when things turned to shit 10? years ago.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
This is fair. Connor, Keegan, and Nunge went 7-10 from 3 today. Coming into today, those 3 were a combined .296 from 3 point range. If they made 3s at their season averages today, then Iowa would have only won by 18 points at the Breslin Center.
While that is true, if we’re doing that we also have to give bohannon and Garza their usual shooting averages, which would lead to 12 more points and a 30-point victory at the Breslin Center.

Reaction score
Today also bumped Connor back over 36% from 3 in Big Ten play like he was last year. He's now 38-105 (36.2%) in 34 Big Ten games the last two years. He'll probably always be streaky but that percentage at 3 attempts per game is encouraging. Combined with cutting to the high post or back door off Luka doubles, he's someone to account for that makes us harder to guard.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I don't get it, the transition 3 is kind of his shot.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
What a great fucking win. I think Franny big balls has them ready coming down the stretch. Joe W is playing so well right now.

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
Stanco, I am sorry for the insults I threw your way. You're clearly good at this.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Whether or not that’s a bad shot depends on your goals, as a fan and player. If you are either talented or well coached enough to win by minimizing mistakes, then great. Iowa can do that versus most teams. We can make the sweet 16. But this team is confident and has big goals, and would rather play a style that may expose you to upsets but give you upside that’s far above the actual talent level of the roster.

TL;DR fuck ya shoot it

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
They really needed this game to build some confidence defensively. Hopefully they can carry some solid defense forward to close out the season.