Iowa @ Michigan State Basketball Thread ~ 2/13/21 ~ 1:30pm ~ FOX

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
It seemed the rim defense was as good as its been in a long time. Blocked or altered a number of shots.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
If it wasn't for the RPI, Fran would have two more tournament teams at Iowa.
Fun fact. Iowa would be #51 in the current RPI rankings.

Reaction score
2013 and 2014 we had top 30 KenPom/Sagarin/BPI teams, and would likely be top 30 in the NET. One NIT, one play-in game to show for it due to RPI. Because we would've been better off playing Loras and Coe instead of two SWAC teams.

CamelTones

Reaction score
2013 and 2014 we had top 30 KenPom/Sagarin/BPI teams, and would likely be top 30 in the NET. One NIT, one play-in game to show for it due to RPI. Because we would've been better off playing Loras and Coe instead of two SWAC teams.
What about Joks senior year? Basically kept out because they lost to Nebrantska-Omaha.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
The last handful of games has been the toughest stretch Luka will go against all year so that’s also encouraging to have that behind him. It’s been one big athletic player after another: Cockburn, Liddell, Rutgers guy and the big dudes MSU throws at him. I like his chances to breakout in the upcoming games versus the stiffs from Wisconsin and others to get him back on track.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
The main problem with the RPI was that it was so easy to game and Fran steadfastly refused to do so.
fran also understands the difference between how big ten basketball can be played and how big ten basketball should be played. He should be the next pope.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I still contend that 2012-2013 Iowa Basketball was one of Fran's best teams, if not his best until the last 2 years.

They were a horrifying 2-8 in coin flip games with some truly excruciating losses against top level teams. They should have been a 7 seed or 6 seed at worst. Ended up with 25 wins.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
7 losses by 4 points or less. 5 of them to Top 10 level teams.

Completely buttfucked by the refs in the Big Ten Tournament against Michigan State that Steve Kerr was ranting about it the next day for a good amount of time during another game.

CamelTones

Reaction score
The main problem with the RPI was that it was so easy to game and Fran steadfastly refused to do so.
Was it Tim Miles or Eustachy that mastered this skill at Colorado State?

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Keegan looking like a McDonald's AA out there makes me lol. Nobody wanted him.

How good is that fuck gonna be in a couple years? And if his brother is an upper middle class version of him?

We got really lucky there. Ulis, Perkins, and Patrick are going to be very good as well.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Keegan looking like a McDonald's AA out there makes me lol. Nobody wanted him.

How good is that fuck gonna be in a couple years? And if his brother is an upper middle class version of him?

We got really lucky there. Ulis, Perkins, and Patrick are going to be very good as well.
The play I loved the most was I think in the first half when he came out of nowhere and dove for the loose ball keeping the possession alive. He is relentless.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
I still got me a big fat bone over this one.

I don’t give a FUCK if they’re bad (they’re really bad and start Loyer, who is an MVC level player)

I am gonna enjoy this. Might just smother myself in butter and roll around.

CamelTones

Reaction score
MSU went from starting a Cassius to a Foster at point guard.

Foster Loyer. He will be in the portal after the season.

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
MSU went from starting a Cassius to a Foster at point guard.

Foster Loyer. He will be in the portal after the season.
Starting at Iowa State. They love ex msu guys. He might have to catch a charge though.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
I’m just going to assume his name is really Foster Loyer III. It has to be.

LifelongHawk

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
In HS there was little, If any, difference in quality between Keegan and Kris. Very similar players.
Those 2 and Patrick will make quite the high flying positionless squadron.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
In HS there was little, If any, difference in quality between Keegan and Kris. Very similar players.
Is Kris supposed to be more defense and more perimeter?

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Are you saying black people look alike?

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Loyer reminds me of Lil' Lick.

LifelongHawk

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Shocking the twins bear some resemblance.

At Prarie they were so similar as prospects. Kris lefty, and maybe slightly more inside oriented, but about the same in speed quickness size strength shooting and ball skills. I didn't follow the prep year much but from Kenyon's statements it seems they developed similarly.

Fair to assume Kris hasn't progressed as quickly or as much as Keegan, but also seems likely that Kris will also be very good.

Reaction score
Based on their prep school highlights, Kris looks to be a bit quicker than Keegan. He may have a bit more ability driving to the basket because of it. Interestingly, Kris averaged .7 more blocks per game than Keegan. He also looks to be a guy who is a real pain in the ass to keep off the offensive glass.

On the downside, Kris doesn't look to have the mid-range game Keegan does or the turnaround jumper. Early in his career at least, I think Kris will be a 3-and-D kind of a player who has to at least be respected off the dribble. If he can shoot the 3 at a good clip, he will be a really nice piece.

With Keegan, Kris, Patrick and Sandfort, Iowa is going to have some long, skilled forwards to build with.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
Based on their prep school highlights, Kris looks to be a bit quicker than Keegan. He may have a bit more ability driving to the basket because of it. Interestingly, Kris averaged .7 more blocks per game than Keegan. He also looks to be a guy who is a real pain in the ass to keep off the offensive glass.

On the downside, Kris doesn't look to have the mid-range game Keegan does or the turnaround jumper. Early in his career at least, I think Kris will be a 3-and-D kind of a player who has to at least be respected off the dribble. If he can shoot the 3 at a good clip, he will be a really nice piece.

With Keegan, Kris, Patrick and Sandfort, Iowa is going to have some long, skilled forwards to build with.
I said this in chat, and I know it sounds absurd, but my friend who works in the front office / data for the Clippers said Keegan has 2nd round value this year and could be borderline lottery next year. Said his efficiency ratings + measurements are going to make him a 2-year player. Thought he was trolling me, but truly thinks Keegan has more upside than Wieskamp.

CamelTones

Reaction score
It’s not absurd but it would be a bizarre sequence of events considering his recruitment process.
Think about how many guys in the NBA that you have never heard of because they came from a small school. That was essentially going to be the Murray twins until Fran offered them. A lot of high major program coaches don't have time to offer guys like them and hope they develop by the time they're upperclassmen because the players will have either entered the portal or the coach will be on his way out the door.

It also helped them that their dad was a former player and you would assume he instilled some sort of work ethic into his kids that would allow their skill to catch up with their raw athletic ability at some point.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
I said this in chat, and I know it sounds absurd, but my friend who works in the front office / data for the Clippers said Keegan has 2nd round value this year and could be borderline lottery next year. Said his efficiency ratings + measurements are going to make him a 2-year player. Thought he was trolling me, but truly thinks Keegan has more upside than Wieskamp.
I'd believe it. Same thing happened with Haliburton after the Maui Classic early in his freshman year and then going forward.