***Iowa v. Michigan - 2/25/21 - 6:00 PM - ESPN***

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Patrick is going to be asked to play the 5 isn’t he? May actually be good for him.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Well Greg suggested it did. Of course the game would have played out differently. Would the outcome have been different? No, in my opinion.
I stressed their importance. You started flailing around and took it to another level.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Yep. Kills us and Michigan is the worst team for it. Illinois would be next but you can at least fuck up Kofi by running doubles at him or hack him. If Nunge is done for the year, we almost have to play primarily zone when Luka sits.

Jumping to conclusions but if it's an ACL, we suddenly are desperate for a grad transfer who can play big minutes also.
If it’s another ACL on the same knee, is his career basically over? He really will just be a sophomore again next year.

Reaction score
I love it when he gets the rebound then long strides it to the FT line extended where he kinda sorta tries to lay it up from 14 feet.

L. Wade Childress

The Spencer Petras of HALO
Reaction score
Haven’t been abused that bad by Dickinson since I took my kids backstage at a Michael Jackson concert.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Credit to Michigan for their ball pressure but Iowa seemed hesitant to let it fly tonight from the start. They had multiple openings to shoot it off of decent ball movement but didn’t seem ready. Just felt like they were too focused on getting it into Garza and the ball never came back out.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
I stressed their importance. You started flailing around and took it to another level.
I completely agree about their importance. You said it affected the outcome. I’m saying it didn’t. We lose either way. If you meant the outcome was we still lose, but the game is closer, then I agree. Not trying to be a dick here because them being out made a difference. I just don’t want to see people saying “we only lost because they were out hurr-durr”.

Reaction score
This was the big thing for me. Part of it is mental but a good chunk of it is just being able to get back and set up without transition. You saw it in the 1st half when they were threatening to put a run on us. We get some buckets, defense is settled and we get a 6-0, 10-4 type span.

Reaction score
When we took the 37-36 lead on Luka's 3-point play and got Dickinson's 3rd with 17:30 left, I was certain it was at least going to be a toss up game. Instead they put a 14-2 run on us the next 3:40 with our starters in. Got it to 7 then the terrible bench stretch that was discussed.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
I love Luka and appreciate that his effort can never be questioned.

The most disappointing part of the game is that there was excitement playing the #3 team in what should have been an up and down game. But within two minutes and Garza’s horseshit flagrant, even though the game was close, it was never “fun.”

Reaction score

The most disappointing part of the game is that there was excitement playing the #3 team in what should have been an up and down game. But within two minutes and Garza’s horseshit flagrant, even though the game was close, it was never “fun.”
Especially given how the Michigan-OSU game went. That was a good, fun game. Like our game with OSU.

HawkBall23

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

As a general fan of CBB, I would have loved watching that first half as an impartial fan. But I couldn't enjoy it because I was too nervous about wanting Iowa to play well.

Reaction score
The first half flow was freaking awful. Iowa couldn’t get into a grove even if they wanted to.

Reaction score
Toussaint is a major issue right now. It's too bad that Ulis was uncharacteristically bad and mistake prone but I don't fault Fran for going to him. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard for Toussaint to come in, play good D, move the ball and not fuck up offensively. He's just a mess right now.

Reaction score
I think we saw what 5 extra BIG 10 games mean to a team physically and mentally. Hawks looked gassed. Michigan didn't.

Silky Johnson

Needs to GFH
Reaction score
That was a strange call on Garza. Luka certainly held the guys arm, but only because dude was basically hugging Garza.
Exactly. It didn’t affect the outcome of this game, but these reviews are really diminishing the product on the court. They waste a couple minutes to see that Luka hooked his arm and give him a flagrant, but ignore that he got bear hugged on the way there. These JO sessions happen several times a game. Even the one on their guard was stupid.

And I get that hooking a guy’s arm *can* be slightly dangerous, but good lord they act like it’s akin to spearing a guy in football. It’s definitely no worse than the shoving that goes on with layups all the time. I’m almost at the point where I want to say fuck video review in every sport and just play on.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Exactly. It didn’t affect the outcome of this game, but these reviews are really diminishing the product on the court. They waste a couple minutes to see that Luka hooked his arm and give him a flagrant, but ignore that he got bear hugged on the way there. These JO sessions happen several times a game. Even the one on their guard was stupid.

And I get that hooking a guy’s arm *can* be slightly dangerous, but good lord they act like it’s akin to spearing a guy in football. It’s definitely no worse than the shoving that goes on with layups all the time. I’m almost at the point where I want to say fuck video review in every sport and just play on.
There’s no almost about it. The only thing worse than reviews in football are reviews in every other sport. It’s terrible, the only sport that I’ve seen that’s even close to right is tennis, and I don’t watch much tennis.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
If it’s another ACL on the same knee, is his career basically over? He really will just be a sophomore again next year.
Not over, people come back from a second one all the time, but there is also a chance he is never the same player. He is also going to have arthritis even sooner than he already was in that knee. Some guys just don’t want to go through another 6-12 months of rehab a second time, but I bet he will come back fine.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Toussaint is a major issue right now. It's too bad that Ulis was uncharacteristically bad and mistake prone but I don't fault Fran for going to him. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard for Toussaint to come in, play good D, move the ball and not fuck up offensively. He's just a mess right now.
I agree with all of this, however I will briefly defend him. He’s usually on the court with Wieskamp, Connor, Nunge and Patrick. If Nunge isn’t scoring, it becomes a Wieskamp centric offense. He doesn’t have the luxury of throwing it to someone that can hit a shot consistently. I don’t feel like Fran has helped him in that sense.

I know you’re a Cubs fan, Maddon would bat a guy that was struggling leadoff to try to take pressure off of them. Sometimes I wish Fran would bring Toussaint in earlier in the game. It’s not like he didn’t have issues last year. There were multiple games where Fran had to ride Bakari. His sophomore season reminds me a lot of Clemmons sophomore season.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
This generation’s Jess settles.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding
Reaction score
That team is just flat out better. Constant pressure and contested everything. That's absolute poison to this team when Luka is awful. I was actually kind of surprised and shocked at how many contested shots we made in the first half while Luka was able to get nothing. There was nothing easy. If Luka was just ok tonight instead of downright awful, it's a different game. Credit to that freshman though, he ate Luka's lunch.

Reaction score
I agree with all of this, however I will briefly defend him. He’s usually on the court with Wieskamp, Connor, Nunge and Patrick. If Nunge isn’t scoring, it becomes a Wieskamp centric offense. He doesn’t have the luxury of throwing it to someone that can hit a shot consistently. I don’t feel like Fran has helped him in that sense.

I know you’re a Cubs fan, Maddon would bat a guy that was struggling leadoff to try to take pressure off of them. Sometimes I wish Fran would bring Toussaint in earlier in the game. It’s not like he didn’t have issues last year. There were multiple games where Fran had to ride Bakari. His sophomore season reminds me a lot of Clemmons sophomore season.
Fair but his mistakes are so aggravating. The same push offs, walks, playing good defense then reaching or tripping with 7 or less on the shot clock. Again, he's by far our least efficient player but he has the 2nd highest usage rate by a good margin. Seems like a good kid with talent but he shouldn't need perfect circumstances to not fuck things up.

L. Wade Childress

The Spencer Petras of HALO
Reaction score
CJ was #3 nationally in offensive efficiency coming in

He’s now #2

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
If Murray had taken all of Nunge's minutes like many of you wanted a few weeks ago, none of this would have happened. :p

Reaction score
They gotta get CJ 10 shots a game every game.
He's the opposite of Toussaint. He's just not wired to play that way, at least at this level right now. Takes what's there, doesn't make mistakes and stays within himself. If Luka is getting doubled or we're able to open things up away from the ball he can get 8-10 shots. Hard to just create shots for him against a defense like tonight.

Reaction score
Hopefully Fran just doesn’t plan on resting Luka going forward because I can't think of a good option. I wouldn't mind seeing Kris get some time if he's a solid rebounder and decent shooter. With the young guards being non shooters it seems like Kris may be a better fit than Pat at times but that is pure speculation.

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Reaction score
Franz Wagner is what Patrick should be, but isn’t.
Wagner is so much more skilled I never would have considered this. But you are right. Patrick has the size and athleticism. The skill gap is as big as the ocean (Atlantic).