**Iowa vs. Cincinnati Basketball - 12/21/19 - 8pm - BTN**

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
How the fuck did they win that game?
Rebounded the ball when they needed to and cincy can’t really score in the half court. Their run was off steals. But yeah...rough middle 8 minutes

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I think if they had maintained a double digit lead he might have let Touissaint work through it. But the fact that everyone else was shitting their pants didn't allow that opportunity.

Cincinnati is not good. But a win is a win

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
If you had Bakari Evelyn as our go-to PG going into the 2nd half of the season, please collect your prize.

Reaction score
Joe T seemed like he was slipping ever play.

Evelyn showed some balls tonight.

CJ Fredrick is the goddamn man!

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
Joe T was too amped. Just going too fast. Happens to young PGs. He’ll be fine

Reaction score
I like this team. Played like shit in the 2nd half and still gutted out a win. Especially since it was their first game w/o their leader. Iowa’s winning games they would have found a way to lose in the last few years.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Rebounded the ball when they needed to and cincy can’t really score in the half court. Their run was off steals. But yeah...rough middle 8 minutes
It’s not really that though. Overcoming 20+ turnovers and shooting awful from the free throw line is tough to overcome. Luckily CJ, Joe and Bakari knocked down some big 3s.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Toussant needs to be the PG. Tonight was worst possible scenario for him. He’ll get better of course but damn he was painful to watch. Hopefully he brushes it off because he can be so much better.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Stuck with it on the defensive end too. Yes, Cincy isn’t good in half-court but still stayed in front, rotated, and rebounded.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I can’t believe how good CJ is. Thought for sure he was another Ellison

CamelTones

Reaction score
Assuming a win against maybe the worst team in the country, 10-3 with the injuries and schedule they’ve played is borderline erotic.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Cincy shot 34% and Iowa fucking destroyed them on the glass. Iowa also shot 45% from three.

That is your game right there. Despite having 24 turnovers to their 7 turnovers and missing 10 free throws to their 4, you win games if you don't give them second chance points.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
I was waiting for that last 3 to go in to fuck me on the under.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
Cincy shot 34% and Iowa fucking destroyed the on the glass. Iowa also shot 45% from three.

That is your game right there. Despite having 24 turnovers to their 7 turnovers and missing 10 free throws to their 4, you win games if you don't give them second chance points.
I feel like I said that

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
defense looks alright against teams that don’t shoot the 3 well

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Joe T seemed like he was slipping ever play.

Evelyn showed some balls tonight.

CJ Fredrick is the goddamn man!
Never, ever, did I think I would have Bill Raftery on my mind when thinking about BE this season. "Onions!"

Now, would I trust him with the ball when needing to not turn the ball over? No way. But as a possibility to make a big shot when least expected?? He changed my previous answer of "no fucking way" to "if absolutely nobody else can do it".

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
defense looks alright against teams that don’t shoot the 3 well
True but they are doing a MUCH better job of closing out from the backside and then bumping down

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Cincy shot 34% and Iowa fucking destroyed them on the glass. Iowa also shot 45% from three.

Going from memory, four of the missed FTs came on front ends.

CamelTones

Reaction score
The most glaring weakness without bohannon are the post feeds. Some of that was Cincinnati, but there were plenty of opportunities to throw it in there and they were late on the pass.

Luckily Fran now knows what they’ll look like going forward and can adjust accordingly.

It’s also very important for Connor to not get in foul trouble. They need him on the floor as point guard 1A ornpoint forward.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
I’m not sure if I’ve ever said this about a Fran coached team but these fuckers are gritty.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Assuming a win against maybe the worst team in the country, 10-3 with the injuries and schedule they’ve played is borderline erotic.
I wouldn't have predicted that record with the schedule this year even with Iowa at full strength.

3 losses. A good Depaul team shot out of their minds, lost late to what should be a Top 15 and undefeated San Diego State and on the road to a good Michigan team without Fredrick.

Those teams are 33-4

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
CJ is pretty good. This team is good if they don’t turn the ball over. Evelyn had some moments, and hopefully Joe T figures it out. Good win even if it was painful to watch.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Let’s hope this is a confidence builder for Bakari Evelyn. He provided some great minutes tonight.

9-3, boyz. This team needs to go .500 in Big Ten play to make the dance. I’m fucking PUMPED.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I also want to note the impact of Fredrick. When everyone was shitting their pants and Cincinnati making their run he hit two big threes to keep Iowa from full fledge panicking. He's not a fucking pussy like Moss, who had a nice 0-0-0-0 game today in 15 minutes

douglasbader

Reaction score
The most glaring weakness without bohannon are the post feeds. Some of that was Cincinnati, but there were plenty of opportunities to throw it in there and they were late on the pass.

Luckily Fran now knows what they’ll look like going forward and can adjust accordingly.

It’s also very important for Connor to not get in foul trouble. They need him on the floor as point guard 1A ornpoint forward.
I think the most important thing is that Connor continues to stay off the ball and someone else is the primary.

My guess is going forward Bakari will be the starting PG and Toussaint will come off the bench.

It isn't the worst thing. I think Toussaint will be a lot more effective.

douglasbader

Reaction score
It is weird how things have worked out so far. The offseason started poorly in the spring with Cook going pro, Moss surprisingly transferring and bohannon likely out for the year with hip surgery.

Recruiting goes poorly. Fran takes legacy twins with a single offer from Western Illinois. Xavier Foster surprisingly commits to Iowa State. Iowa goes out and gets their ass kicked by Depaul the same night. Nunge blows his ACL soon after and Patrick has the after effects of cancer and is going to redshirt.

From there they shock everyone and win against a Top 15 ranked Texas Tech on a neutral court. They look good against a great San Diego State team. Beat the shit out of Syracuse on the road and then beat the shit out of Iowa State on the road. bohannon shuts it down and they get a tough win at a neutral site against Cincy.

Fredrick and Garza are the keys to the season so far. The former is a complete surprise that might make the All-Big Ten Freshman team and the later improves in every area so much he is a potential All-American.

None of it feels like an accident either like it sort of did the year the Uthoff led team got into the Top 5 on fluke shooting and then fell apart once they cooled off.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I don't get the love at all.

She's also kinda old.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Iowa is #21 in KenPom. The offense falls to #3 but the defense all the way up to #88

That could be the blessing in disguise without bohannon. Slightly less but still elite on offense and much improved on defense. They jumped 20 spots after tonight.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
It is weird how things have worked out so far. The offseason started poorly in the spring with Cook going pro, Moss surprisingly transferring and bohannon likely out for the year with hip surgery.

Recruiting goes poorly. Fran takes legacy twins with a single offer from Western Illinois. Xavier Foster surprisingly commits to Iowa State. Iowa goes out and gets their ass kicked by Depaul the same night. Nunge blows his ACL soon after and Patrick has the after effects of cancer and is going to redshirt.

From there they shock everyone and win against a Top 15 ranked Texas Tech on a neutral court. They look good against a great San Diego State team. Beat the shit out of Syracuse on the road and then beat the shit out of Iowa State on the road. bohannon shuts it down and they get a tough win at a neutral site against Cincy.

Fredrick and Garza are the keys to the season so far. The former is a complete surprise that might make the All-Big Ten Freshman team and the later improves in every area so much he is a potential All-American.

None of it feels like an accident either like it sort of did the year the Uthoff led team got into the Top 5 on fluke shooting and then fell apart once they cooled off.
Add to all of the injuries Wieskamp not really taking a step forward. He's not playing poorly by any stretch of the imagination, but if you would have told me Iowa would be 10-3 with all of the injuries, I'd assume Joe must be having a monster year.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
We’re getting way off topic and jogger hasn’t even posted

castichawk24

Is Well Liked Here
Reaction score

Very long post, Doug. I did not read.

Reaction score
Bakari really stepped up tonight. We really needed him tonight and for the rest of the season.