- Iowa vs Illinois. 1/29/21. 8:00pm. FS1 -

Reaction score
iowa is fine. it was on the road without CJ, garza was in foul trouble (lol), and the refs were an abomination.

tony was a surprising bright spot, i really liked his role in the second half to come in fresh and play D. and honestly i hope we catch the illini in the douche tournament.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I just don’t understand that goaltend ruling. Common sense has to take over in that situation. Was texting my friend that if they don’t award Iowa the points on that play the game is over. I know you have to play through it, but the whole psychology of the situation changes.

Then there’s the missed travel call. I get when refs fuck up foul calls because they’re making them up as they go. But something as blatant as a hop, skip and a jump along the baseline isn’t called after they called Giorgi Besbdkskxivili for a travel in the lane when he made a good move is fucking embarrassing. Every Iowa fan knew Frazier was making that 3 the moment the shot clock hit 5.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
We were in the bonus with 10 min to go when Perkins missed the front end of the 1-and-1 and didn’t shoot another FT the rest of the game.

Fuck everything.
This is the absolute most important piece but will be glossed over by excuses. Fran also wasn't good this game, but any means.

Reaction score
I think “fine” depends on your level of expectations. If you expected a top two or three team, or even top five, this is a disappointment. They already have four losses with a bunch of games to go. Thats not a top two or three team. If you expected a really good team for Iowa, then yea they are fine.
Top 3 in the country is awfully narrow. They're 5th in the NET, 4th in KenPom and lost on the road in a close game to #7 NET, #8 KenPom.

It sucks to lose. It really sucks to lose after they gave one away they should've won. They're still a top 10 team in every metric that matters. Big week next week with 3 solid games.

Reaction score
I don't know if he slipped or something, but Nunge really did block his man out, he just kind of forgot to get the ball. Jordan saw Nunge with the block out and leaked down court. I'm sad.
Yep. Joe also got caught watching. Jordan got to Kofi initially with a mini-seal and I'm guessing saw Jack's positioning so he leaked out.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
FRAN FADE!!!

It's January and the season started late, but sure, FRAN FADE!!!

What a fucking loser.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Perkins didn’t play enough. He locked Ayo up for the most part. Jbo brings next to nothing if he isn’t scoring.
Yes he does. Garza would be triple teamed every play if Jordan wasn’t on the floor.

Reaction score
It’s not this loss that is going to eliminate them from being a top three team. Its this loss, plus Indiana, plus Minnesota, plus Gonzaga, plus any future losses.
This is a weird angle. This isn't college football where you need to be top 4 for the CFP. Why are you so fixated on "top three"? It's the loss to the unanimous #1 plus any future losses? What are you talking about man?

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Still number 4 on Kenpom. DE at 101. Pretty much the same Iowa team as last year except the bench is a huge upgrade. Sweet 16 is still a good target. Anything beyond that is gravy. Sad to actually type out, though, since we have the NPOTY on the roster.

Reaction score
I think “fine” depends on your level of expectations. If you expected a top two or three team, or even top five, this is a disappointment. They already have four losses with a bunch of games to go. Thats not a top two or three team. If you expected a really good team for Iowa, then yea they are fine.
Fine as in I would take Iowa against anyone on a neutral court outside of Gonzaga assuming everyone is healthy.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
This is a weird angle. This isn't college football where you need to be top 4 for the CFP. Why are you so fixated on "top three"? It's the loss to the unanimous #1 plus any future losses? What are you talking about man?
I understand that we don’t need to be ranked in the top 5 of the AP poll to go to the Final Four. I am just saying it would have been nice to spend the year ranked with the very elite. That’s all.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I was yelling for more Joe T. Than I was yelling for anybody else

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Like all you have to do is go back and look to see that it isn’t even true.
I know. Fran has a better record the 2nd half of the I am a giant douche schedule than he’s does the 1st. At least he did the last time I checked. Fade!

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Illinois had a few bizarre calls go against them too, including that 4 second call at the end. Its really too bad, great game otherwise.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
FRAN FADE!!

Not even halfway through the Big Ten season and it is January.

Lol.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Still number 4 on Kenpom. DE at 101. Pretty much the same Iowa team as last year except the bench is a huge upgrade. Sweet 16 is still a good target. Anything beyond that is gravy. Sad to actually type out, though, since we have the NPOTY on the roster.
That’s interesting. I sincerely don’t know this, but how does the team with the NPOY finish on average? I’m not in a researching mood.

Natty Bumppo

Chiropractor for Eyes
Reaction score
It was 5 seconds on Illinois - the count stops when an Illinois player in bounds touches the ball. It was a long pass and did not beat the count.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Around Christmas I was talking to some guys that I thought Iowa would lose a couple games in late January and early February and people would lose their shit which would result in Iowa revving it back up mid February to get ready for March.

I don’t get how you can say they’re going to fade. They have Garza. He’s not going to let it happen unless the refs call him for some bullshit.

Reaction score
Refs not blowing the whistle to “let things play out “ is the biggest issue. Its precisely what happened on the travel at the end of the first half. A proper immediate whistle an Iowa is up a minimum of 41-40 at half.

same deal on the goal tend. They let them play and we got a clear immediate bucket off the alleged block but then its suddenly reviewable amd we lose points and seconds on a clear bucket either way. Reffing cannot impact the game on a contingent basis.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
If I ever crack and go postal, it'll be the end of the first half running through my head on repeat. Like, I'm not even mad about that absurd shot yet. I'm still in a stupor about that travel.

Pedro Gomez

Needs to GFH
Reaction score
FRAN FADE!!

Not even halfway through the Big Ten season and it is January.

Lol.
Doug. Let's be buds. Let's also completely ignore tonight's game. Convince me Iowa plays good defense and Fran is a good coach. Call me a Wal Mart fan or whatever, but convince me. Thanks

Reaction score
It was after the under 8 timeout. Up 2, Joe T. gets in the lane, nice move. Looks good, spins out, Pat crashes weakside with no one near him for the putback. Another half revolution and hang on the rim, Pat's already under the rim and they get it. Perkins loses Frazier for a second and he drills a 3.

Then Tony hits a bucket that could've been a 3 point play. We come back zone, Joe T. is pointing and yelling at Wieskamp to get to the corner, he's late and Ayo hits a wide open 3. Stop each, way, Perkins misses in the lane on a tough one. Another stop, busted possession, Luka forces a tough shot end of clock and didn't see JBO with no one within 15 feet, then they call Luka for his 4th. That stretch was tough.

Then down 2 with 3:18, we get Keegan a great look underneath that he left a foot short. Had to have been hit on his elbow but tough to see it. Stop, Wieskamp drills a 3 and we're up 1 with 2:35. Keegan gets caught all the way on the strong side of the paint and they drill a wide open 3. Then Connor gets stripped which never happens, they drill 2. Luka misses a 3, we get a stop, then the goaltending shit.

Not sure why I typed all that out, coping I guess.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
That’s interesting. I sincerely don’t know this, but how does the team with the NPOY finish on average? I’m not in a researching mood.
2019 Duke Elite 8
2018 Villanova Champs
2017 Kansas Elite 8
2016 Oklahoma Final 4
2015 Wisconsin Runner up

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
It was 5 seconds on Illinois - the count stops when an Illinois player in bounds touches the ball. It was a long pass and did not beat the count.
This can't be right. I think you're thinking of the 10 second call. If this were the case alot of long inbound passes would turn into 5 second calls. FTR I still think it was the correct call.