**Iowa vs. Illinois Basketball - 3/8/20 - 6pm - BTN**

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
I'm all for a double bye. Iowa in a close one.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I'm amazed we are still in play for a double bye.

The craziest thing of all is if all 3 of Maryland, MSU, and Wisconsin win their final game, Wisconsin will be the #1 overall seed. They were 5-5 10 weeks ago and many of us left them for dead.

Last edited:

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
win, stay ranked, double-bye

and fuck illinois to little tiny greasy bloody pieces

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Lol, I guess this is going to be your new thing since the "Toussaint is great and Fran isn't playing him enough" thing blew up in your face the other night.
He should play more imo. Never claimed he was great

Squat Cobbler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm amazed we are still in play for a double bye.

The craziest thing of all is if all 3 of Maryland, MSU, and Wisconsin win their final game, Wisconsin will be the #1 overall seed. They were 5-5 10 weeks ago and many of us left them for dead.
Wisconsin got an incredibly lucky schedule. Only played the top 5 teams (other than themselves) once. They will play the bottom 5 teams 9 times.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Wisconsin got an incredibly lucky schedule. Only played the top 5 teams (other than themselves) once. They will play the bottom 5 teams 9 times.
Iowa has lost four games to those bottom 5 teams.

Last edited:

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Nebrantska is the only terrible one

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Iowa has lost three games to those bottom 5 teams.
Which means nothing when it comes to Wisconsin having an easy Big Ten schedule, especially down the stretch.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Double-bye up for grabs Sunday night.

Cmon Hawks.

If the good & confident JoeW would care to make an appearance Sunday, he'd be very welcomed with open arms.

douglasbader

Reaction score
No matter if you like or don't like Rothstein, he pointed out the other night that it has become more of a trend for teams to lose on senior night and other home games where there is a lot of distractions going on. Let's hope that Illinois has a hand up their own ass on Sunday.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Is this now the biggest regular season game in the Fran era?

Iowa's biggest regular season game since 2006?
First thing that pops into my head were those games at the end of the season in 2017 where we went on a run where we had to win almost every game to make the NCAA tournament.

We did, but then laid a turd in the BTT.

douglasbader

Reaction score
First thing that pops into my head were those games at the end of the season in 2017 where we went on a run where we had to win almost every game to make the NCAA tournament.

We did, but then laid a turd in the BTT.
I looked through Fran's seasons. This has to be the biggest regular season game. Iowa has finished higher in the Big Ten but never had the double bye in play like this.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
With Iowa’s short bench I’m almost a little afraid of them making a big ten tournament run. Not sure how much they could handle the following week

douglasbader

Reaction score
Afraid!!

Now is not the time for fear, TurdMan.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Luka playing 4-5 games in one week has me v afraid Doug

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Illinois -3.5

(guess)

Reaction score
I wouldn't call this the biggest Fran game ever. The stakes are to get two byes instead of one in the BTT. We are still going to the NCAA tourney no matter what. Minimal stakes at play here. BBK was right earlier.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Double bye, and this would be a really nice win for NCAA seeding.

Agree that this is probably the most consequential reg season game of Fran era.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I wouldn't call this the biggest Fran game ever. The stakes are to get two byes instead of one in the BTT. We are still going to the NCAA tourney no matter what. Minimal stakes at play here. BBK was right earlier.
I think the stakes are bigger than just the double bye. Iowa is trending towards a 6 or 7 seed if they lose this and the first game of the BTT.

If they win this game, get the double bye and maybe win a game in the BTT they are solidly in the 5 seed range or better.

Reaction score
I think the stakes are bigger than just the double bye. Iowa is trending towards a 6 or 7 seed if they lose this and the first game of the BTT.

If they win this game, get the double bye and maybe win a game in the BTT they are solidly in the 5 seed range or better.
Even if they lost to the Illini and the first round of the BTT, I can't see them dropping to a 7 seed. This whole thing is going to decide if Iowa is a 5 or 6 seed. Or a 4 if they make it to the BTT finals.

Reactions: Jim

douglasbader

Reaction score
Even if they lost to the Illini and the first round of the BTT, I can't see them dropping to a 7 seed. This whole thing is going to decide if Iowa is a 5 or 6 seed. Or a 4 if they make it to the BTT finals.
They would likely drop into the 40's in the NET and in the 30's on KenPom. 20-12 overall.

Even with their great Quad 1 wins, that would be rough metrics to put them at better than a 7 seed.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
They would likely drop into the 40's in the NET and in the 30's on KenPom. 20-12 overall.

Even with their great Quad 1 wins, that would be rough metrics to put them at better than a 7 seed.
This is what pisses me off about seeding. It seems like metrics and bad losses mean more than a bunch of high level wins. 4th most Q1 wins but can't get a 6 seed, that seems ridiculous.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
This is what pisses me off about seeding. It seems like metrics and bad losses mean more than a bunch of high level wins. 4th most Q1 wins but can't get a 6 seed, that seems ridiculous.
Again, the committee had Iowa just out of the top 16 a few weeks back. That was after the bad losses and Purdue blowout. Iowa will be rewarded for its good wins

douglasbader

Reaction score
Fran's interview quotes today sounds like he is all in on the game Sunday. It also sounds like he is sick of Wieskamp and Fredrick passing up shots and is imploring them to be much more aggressive taking shots.

Luka also quietly calling his team out for being a bunch of fucking pussies and not giving effort the other night.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
There defensive effort in the 2nd half wasn't bad. They need to start the game like that though

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
There were a lot of bubble years where you could single out a single loss that knocked them out (in hindsight). I don't even really see this as a big game honestly, itd be nice to win though.

I liked how we matched up with them the last time. Joe/CJ combined for 36 but only made three 3's, and they held Dosunmo in check.