**Iowa vs. Illinois Basketball - 3/8/20 - 6pm - BTN**

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Another game with essentially nothing out of Joe W and CJ. Rebounding was shit.

And still had a chance to win on the road.

Reaction score
Would've been nice if Joe finished either of his shots within 5 feet. Or CJ hits the 3 with no one within 10 feet. Miracle it was close with them playing the way they did again.

Ayo hit two tough shots at the end. Fuck.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Would have preferred they popped Garza out for 3 there. Catching it falling away from the basket is almost an impossible shot.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Another game with essentially nothing out of Joe W and CJ. Rebounding was shit.

And still had a chance to win on the road.
We actually out rebounded them

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Holy shit that last play was garbage in all aspects....

- First, it took way too long to develop trying to run Fredrick all the way from one corner to the other
- Wieskamp and Kreiner were both worthless. Supposed to screen for Fredrick and Wieskamp missed and fell down and then Kreiner set the worst screen possible and didn't touch the guy.
- None of it mattered as the play all the way was to lob it to Garza who is covered by King fucking Kong and had no shot of getting it off (even though he was hit twice)

Fran is usually an out of bounds genius, but that was fucking terrible.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Shooting over Cockburn with a second is not an ideal shot. But couldn't count on either of the guards to have the confidence to knock it down today so Fran was a little handcuffed.

Last edited:

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Holy shit that last play was garbage in all aspects....

- First, it took way too long to develop trying to run Fredrick all the way from one corner to the other
- Wieskamp and Kreiner were both worthless. Supposed to screen for Fredrick and Wieskamp missed and laid down and then Kreiner set the worst screen possible and didn't touch the guy.
- None of it mattered as the play all the way was to lob it to Garza who is covered by King fucking Kong and had no shot of getting it off (even though he was hit twice)

Fran is usually an out of bounds genius, but that was fucking terrible.

Floyd R

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
And for all of this excitement, Iowa is going to get a #6 seed and play Duke in the Round of 32. Yipee!!

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Fuck off to Wieskamp and Fredrick. Yet another heroic game by a true warrior in Garza while his running mates leave him for dead because they are a couple of nutless monkeys.

Wieskamp has been documented terrible, but Fredrick has been just as bad.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I think it says a lot about Fran's mindset on JoeW if he doesn't run a play for him there at the very end.

I know Luka is the NPoY - well, he is, but it'll go to Toppin instead - but why not run that double-curl that they've abused ILL with in both games? Or a 3 look for either JW or CJF?? Hell, as mentioned already, I like Luka taking a 3 there a lot more than trying a shot in the lane.

Reaction score
Lose 3 of 4 to end the season. Feels natural under Fran. Although this is the year I would give him a pass for failing to finish. Injuries have been a bitch. And this team is tired.

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Garza has been so good getting that quick turn around jumper off. Isnt it hard to get a 3 off in a baseline oob situation? Game was lost elsewhere

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
I haven't seen the game yet but have seen the box score. We got a total of 10 points from CJ and Joe W? I'm amazed that we were even in the game at the end with those numbers. Were either of them injured during the game?

Reaction score
I haven't seen the game yet but have seen the box score. We got a total of 10 points from CJ and Joe W? I'm amazed that we were even in the game at the end with those numbers. Were either of them injured during the game?

Nope. They started nicely, then did jack shit the rest of the game.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I know there's no moral victories and shit, but its amazing to see the team have a shot to win on a final shot after seeing the way the game played out.

Midway through the 2nd half, I thought Hawks would easily lose this by 15+, but instead ILL needed a miracle to survive.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Connor got a good look. Put it up too hard, knew it and would've had the board for a great shot at a putback but it hung on the rim.
Almost looked like he was trying to pass it to himself it was so hard and his movement so natural to it. Got the looks. That was a really fun game. And yes, I’m that kind of fan.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
It looked to me like Fran was trying to run the out of bounds lob play and Illinois knew it.

As good as Fran is on out of bounds plays under the basket, that was one of his worst. If Kriener would have caught the ball where he was calling for it he would have banked the shot off the back of the backboard.

Reaction score
For everyone saying run a play for a 3, we tried to run CJ off three screens for a corner/wing 3. Joe and Kriener set shitty screens or attempts. Second option was Luka on the roll.

If we get Frazier screened on either of the first two attempts, Cockburn is caught either chasing CJ for the 3 and freeing Luka on the roll or staying with Luka and giving CJ the 3 with Frazier way behind.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
For everyone saying run a play for a 3, we tried to run CJ off three screens for a corner/wing 3. Joe and Kriener set shitty screens or attempts. Second option was Luka on the roll.

If we get Frazier screened on either of the first two attempts, Cockburn is caught either chasing CJ for the 3 and freeing Luka on the roll or staying with Luka and giving CJ the 3 with Frazier way behind.
It wasn’t just bad screens, that guy guarding played his nuts off to stay with/make it hard to screen.

Reaction score
It looked to me like Fran was trying to run the out of bounds lob play and Illinois knew it.

As good as Fran is on out of bounds plays under the basket, that was one of his worst. If Kriener would have caught the ball where he was calling for it he would have banked the shot off the back of the backboard.
He had 3 screens set for CJ running toward the ball in that corner where the only helper could be Kofi.