**Iowa vs. Illinois Basketball - 3/8/20 - 6pm - BTN**

Reaction score
The 10 minute stretches of playing like idiots are less than ideal.

Reactions: Jim
Reaction score
lol at Tim Miles on the post game show. Fran was asked about the officiating and hemmed and hawed and said it was fine. They go back to the studio where Miles does an impression of Fran's response:

"Ehh. Good question. Hmm. I'm gonna kill somebody. Ehhh. It was fine."

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
lol at Tim Miles on the post game show. Fran was asked about the officiating and hemmed and hawed and said it was fine. They go back to the studio where Miles does an impression of Fran's response:

"Ehh. Good question. Hmm. I'm gonna kill somebody. Ehhh. It was fine."
He’s a dork

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
It says something when I feel more confident about the 3pt shot when Evelyn & Touissaint shoots it vs Wieskamp. For the last half-dozen games or so, at least.

Wieskamp hit that 3 early, and had that easy double-curl bucket & 2 FTs, but the rest of the time he just looks broke. Its crazy how bad this 'Sophomore Slump' is that he's in, both in severity and length of time its occurred.

Reaction score
Fran said CJ and Joe have to keep cutting, moving, look to drive and kick and make something happen.

Last play he said they had multiple options but were trying to run CJ off some screens and have Luka there. Like I said if either screen catches him clean they put Kofi in a tough spot where we should have an advantage with one of them.
Watching it back, part of it was shitty screens, part was CJ not taking a great angle and part was Frazier being really good.

Reaction score
I also hope people stop suggesting to post Joe up to get him going. He wants no part of anything down there right now. Doesn't seal and if he does get it he continues to fade away from contact on everything and rarely ever finish.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
That 3 point shot Frazier took with about 1:12 left was one of the dumbest fucking shots I’ve ever seen.
Yeah Illinois played dumb the last minute. The next possession they rushed a runner in the lane

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
I also hope people stop suggesting to post Joe up to get him going. He wants no part of anything down there right now. Doesn't seal and if he does get it he continues to fade away from contact on everything and rarely ever finish.
I suggested it a while back. I was dead wrong. He’s the most perplexing Iowa player that I can ever remember.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
My favorite play by Joe was when he turned it over late in the game trying to get it to CJ and then jogged back on defense while an Illinois player went ran past him coast to coast for a layup.

BluesHawk

Goes to Applebee’s for special occasions
Reaction score
He doesn't look like he wants any part of basketball in general.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
For whatever reason, I hope Beshanizvili gets a ton of playing time tonight instead of Cockburn.

We think JoeW has looked bad? Well, he has. But that Georgi guy has been a complete and total dumpster fire for ILL.
He did get a good amount of playing time, and thanks to Pemsl being put on him defensively quite a bit, he looked better than usual.

That shot he made early against Luka was BS. He almost broke the backboard with it but the fucking thing dropped in.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
My favorite play by Joe was when he turned it over late in the game trying to get it to CJ and then jogged back on defense while an Illinois player went ran past him coast to coast for a layup.
Ayo is good and really fast, but that play was infuriating. It's almost like he faded away from the man with the ball, in order to take away a corner three.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Fran has got to find a way to get his 2 shooters out of the corners. Bakari and Connor are always at the perfect elbow position to shoot.

Interchange them for a while.

Reaction score
He should be well rested for the tourney
You're not wrong that Joe T. deserved more minutes with his play tonight. Couple bad turnovers but was really good overall. But Bakari was pretty good also, we made our big run with him on the court and Fran trusts him more down the stretch obviously. FWIW he was glowing about Joe T. in the postgame (beyond normal even) and said he'll only get better.

Right or wrong, I think they're cognizant of trying not to put too much on him this year and keep him in a good place. They trust Bakari/Connor more down the stretch and I think overall they've handled it pretty well but you can certainly make a case he deserved more minutes tonight. Several games it's just been that the lineup under 12 with Bakari/Connor has been rolling and they stick with it.