**Iowa vs. Indiana Basketball - 2/13/20 - 7pm - BTN**

Reaction score
The most frustrating part is that they (mainly Green) went off from 3 and hit several stupid, contested 3's. AND we had some of the most ridiculous turnovers you can imagine, most of which led to layups. AND C.J. got hurt with like 30 minutes left on a night Pemsl was suspended leaving us with 6 scholarship guys. AND Joe W. chose to hide out most of the night and shy away from the ball and then shots when he got the ball. AND Toussaint and Connor both arguably played their worst games. AND we had to play at least 10 minutes with Till and/or Ash.

And we still only lost by 12. That has the ingredients of the 36 point loss at Purdue. If we have even a couple of those things go the other way, it's a toss up game. It was an absolute disaster in so many areas and it was still only a 12 point loss with 1 guy showing up on offense.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I wasn’t watching closely, but was it actually a double dribble?
He tried starting the break, but the guy he passed it to took off. At that point he could have grabbed it (he did) or give up the live ball turnover. He made the right decision, but it looked retarded.

Reaction score
Also, Joe T sagging into the post almost double teaming a guy that was no threat to score multiple times and leaving 3 point shooters wide open was almost as dumb as some of his turnovers.
Better yet, two times in like 2-3 minutes he sagged to give up an open 3 and then followed it up with an immediate turnover. 5-0 spurts twice almost single handedly in a couple of minutes.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Also, Joe T sagging into the post almost double teaming a guy that was no threat to score multiple times and leaving 3 point shooters wide open was almost as dumb as some of his turnovers.
No almost about it.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The most frustrating part is that they (mainly Green) went off from 3 and hit several stupid, contested 3's. AND we had some of the most ridiculous turnovers you can imagine, most of which led to layups. AND C.J. got hurt with like 30 minutes left on a night Pemsl was suspended leaving us with 6 scholarship guys. AND Joe W. chose to hide out most of the night and shy away from the ball and then shots when he got the ball. AND Toussaint and Connor both arguably played their worst games. AND we had to play at least 10 minutes with Till and/or Ash.

And we still only lost by 12. That has the ingredients of the 36 point loss at Purdue. If we have even a couple of those things go the other way, it's a toss up game. It was an absolute disaster in so many areas and it was still only a 12 point loss with 1 guy showing up on offense.
I came away from the Purdue game thinking Purdue is tough as hell at home. Indiana, on the other hand, tried giving this game away.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

IU [& Green] shoots its normal output from 3, Iowa might just win this game - despite all the adversity.

The Hoosiers are not a very good team. Without that shooting explosion, Iowa would have been neck and neck with them all game.

Reaction score
Fran talked about way too many turnovers and fast break points they allowed along with 2nd chance points. Didn't move the ball the way they'd liked. CJ out, couple guys banged up but that's part of it. Didn't react to Green, can't have a guy make 7. Gotta be smarter and make him move it or drive. He might shoot 1-5, might shoot 7-11, we let him shoot 7-11 and can't. Gotta get home and get these guys healthy.
11 turnovers from PG's (Joe, Bakari, Connor) way too many.

CJ is an ankle sprain. Bobby said that's good news. Fran said yes but "it's not a good one." Fuck, could be a couple weeks.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Basically Green won the game in a 90 second stretch in the first half.

There were also 3 or 4 other 60 second stretches that you just can’t have to win on the road. The last 45 seconds of the first half was one. The two 5-0 runs that Joe T gave them as Hiawatha pointed out. The missed goal tend-technical foul-Connor throwing it to a day dreaming Kriener stretch.

Also FFS Iowa has to average giving up 3-4 made shots a game as the shot clock expires.

Also FFS 2, Evelyn has a terrible feel for running the offense. Too many times when Indiana would make a run he would keep the ball on one side of the floor. Garza could have scored 50 if they just understood they needed a ball rotation to get defenders off of him. It would also help free up Wieskamp.

Reaction score
I've given up on Kreiner.
The problem is they absolutely need him. I think I'd start him Sunday if CJ's out and hope you can get him into a rhythm. Without CJ you're relying on him/Connor/Bakari/Joe T. to be your 3rd/4th scorer. Even with him, you're still needing one of them to contribute. And he's the best backup big.

6 I am a giant douche games from 1/4-1/22 he averaged 9.6 points, 4 boards, 16-20 from 2, 6-15 from 3.
6 games since he's averaged 4.6 points, 3.1 boards, 12-22 from 2, 0-6 from 3.

Reaction score
The threes weren’t as difficult of shots as some of you are making them out to be.
Not all of them, but most in the 1st half were. He hit 3 with a man right on him, hand in face with little to no space.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I wish I kept track of how many times this year Kriener has been thrown a catchable pass only to continue running like a retard. Have a little fucking awareness.

Reaction score
I came away from the Purdue game thinking Purdue is tough as hell at home. Indiana, on the other hand, tried giving this game away.
Exactly. Even with all the first half 3's and them shooting out of their minds, it was there for the taking. Bakari throws away two underneath OOB's, Joe T.'s two 5-0 spurts he gave up, Joe W. going 1 of a potential 5 from the line, the handful of ridiculous turnovers that gave them layups. Could keep going on and on...

Reaction score
One of the threes was a tough shot, but he was already in a good rhythm from the 2-3 threes he had just made.
Going from memory but first one was wide open. 2nd one CJ gambled and he got an open look. Next two were closely contested. To your point though, don't let him get going early.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
I wish I kept track of how many times this year Kriener has been thrown a catchable pass only to continue running like a retard. Have a little fucking awareness.
We're way too white and unathletic to play as dumb as we do sometimes.

Reaction score
Fran thought they pushed tempo and we didn't push tempo enough. We're supposed to be but they won it. 22 fast break points to 7. Can't turn it over on the road like we did and think you're going to win.
If CJ is out we need Connor, Bakari and Joe T. to step up. Get Cordell back. Ash and TIll were as good as they could expect them to be (yikes) in a tough environment.

Too early to tell on CJ but it's "not a good one".

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Get him some prp therapy as soon as he gets off the plane

Reaction score
Best case scenario is probably getting CJ back in a week next Thursday for OSU 2/20. Then we have MSU the next Tuesday 2/25 followed by PSU Saturday 2/29. Hopefully we at least have him back by that after missing 3 games with 15 days off. I just don't know how they can cover for him.

Reaction score
4-14 from 3 tonight. Luka was 3-6. Joe hit a 3 first shot of the game, nothing after from anyone else.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
What did Joe shoot 3 3’s? Made 1, missed 1 and was fouled on 1. He needs to shoot at least 7-10 a game.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Smith got physical with Weiskamp and it took him too long to adjust. He was getting fouled but big ten refs don't call that on the road.

Reaction score
Minnestota without CJ, at MSU maybe without CJ and at Illinois are the only opportunities to win a Big Ten road game vs. a team with a pulse. Fuck.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Sometimes I forget what kind of a loss a healthy bohannon was.

Having 3 guys man the point without being a shooting threat kind of sucks.

I know Connor is improved, and he deserves credit for that, but he's still not a guy opposing teams worry about.

Reaction score
Sometimes I forget what kind of a loss a healthy bohannon was.

Having 3 guys man the point without being a shooting threat kind of sucks.

I know Connor is improved, and he deserves credit for that, but he's still not a guy opposing teams worry about.
It was also easier to say we didn't really miss him when the defense was improved. And it was until 1/30. Last 3 road games we've allowed 1.17, 1.52, 1.16 points per possession. All double digit losses.
Last 3 home games have been .88, 1.04, .97.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
It would be nice if Fran could coach defense because his offenses tend to not show up on the road, especially in February

Reaction score
It would be nice if Fran could coach defense because his offenses tend to not show up on the road, especially in February
Again, not true. February road points per possession, 1.00 is average.

'20: .99. 1.01.
'19: 1.16, 1.09, 1.01.
'18 we sucked.
'17: 1.17, .98, .91, 1.28.
'16: 1.09, 1.21, 1.07, .94
'15: 1.38, 1.01, 1.21, 1.06
'14: 1.15 , 1.21, 1.23, 1.04

Reaction score
That article I posted last week from GIA did all the analysis. Some years they finished strong. The years they didn't it was divided between back loaded schedule, offense struggling or defense struggling late. There's no real trend as much as people want to create one.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Again, not true. February road points per possession, 1.00 is average.

'20: .99. 1.01.
'19: 1.16, 1.09, 1.01.
'18 we sucked.
'17: 1.17, .98, .91, 1.28.
'16: 1.09, 1.21, 1.07, .94
'15: 1.38, 1.01, 1.21, 1.06
'14: 1.15 , 1.21, 1.23, 1.04
but compare that to all other offensive numbers and it’s a steep drop off I’m sure. If you can’t play elite offense consistently, gotta be able to bring some better defense.This point is kinda moot this year with all the injuries but whatever

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
I don’t even fucking care about the Fran fade tbh. I think Fran is great and it’s nice to be competitive more often than not with a nice product to watch

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
The only trend I notice is there hasn’t been 1 Fran team that has finished strong down the stretch.

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
The threes weren’t as difficult of shots as some of you are making them out to be.
I would guess 6 of their makes were contested and/or several feet beyond the arc.

iowa4ever20

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Didn’t they lose like 6 out of their last 7 in 2017?
No, they won 7 of their last 10 in regular season including wins at ranked Maryland and Wisconsin before pissing a tourney bid down their leg to Indiana in BTT.