**Iowa vs. Indiana Basketball Thread - 2/7/21 - 11:00am - Fox**

Skinny Skier

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
No. That logic works for the fact that the game shouldn’t have been close, not for the specific record in close games once they got close.
Can we factor in intangibles somewhere? That might give us a better answer.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Fran is entering Dr Tom circa 1997 territory.

Im not mad this time. Apathetic.

How can the same guys who were so gritty last year be so fucking soft this year?
They weren’t that good last year. Terrible defense. Has some bad blowout losses

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
They weren’t that good last year. Terrible defense. Has some bad blowout losses
Didn’t say they were all that great last year, but they had an edge that is simply not there this year.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
Bright spots: When they did get to the line, I thought they shot better. Weezy had a good offensive game, especially in the first half. He was much more aggressive. I hope it continues.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
First six or seven minutes today was probably the best stretch they’ve had all year. The effort on defense was great most of the day.

This one sucks. Some shitty calls went against both Keegan and Luka that really changed the game. Of course we could all see it coming when Luka picked up #2 that we were going to be in a dog fight. Coin flips on the road rarely go your way.

I know I’m more positive than most people here, but I still really like this team. Need CJ back asap though.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Bright spots: When they did get to the line, I thought they shot better. Weezy had a good offensive game, especially in the first half. He was much more aggressive. I hope it continues.
Ok Iowa fan

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I mean I’m mad too but wouldn’t you expect them to be 2-2 in close games?
From a statistical standpoint? Sure. Also it’s now 2-4.

Only argument I would make to refute that is Iowa’s defense is so bad that they put a ton of pressure on their offense late. They’re not likely to force a tough shot which decreases their chance of getting a stop.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Keegan’s game is so smooth. One thing I didn’t like..you’ve got Nunge and Garza in the game and they had Keegan defending Jackson-Davis. I know Nunge does some dumb shit on offense, but he’s a shot blocking machine and really defended TJD well. No reason for Fran to put an undersized Keegan on IUs best player.

That’s the kind of stuff that just makes you question what Iowa is even doing on defense. There has to be some game planning going on, but it’s pretty clear that no one on this staff is defensively literate.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
1-3 in close games this year right? That’s coaching.

Up 61-58 around 2 minutes left and your senior pg makes the exact same mistake your sophomore guard made against Minnesota by going under instead of over the screen. Tie game. How is it that hard to coach a player to understand time and score and how you defend the situation is different?
There was like 5 seconds on the shot clock. Just stupid.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
I’m not defending Fran’s stupid two foul rule, but I kind of understand it the way this game was officiated in the first half. There is a 100% chance someone would have picked up a third foul on a phantom call.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Fran not being able to tell the difference between wanting struggling guards to get a rest vs. Garza being subbed back in says all you need to know about him. Comparing the 2 situations is a joke.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I’m curious..how many agree with this take? I think it is fucking stupid, but know there are a lot of Iowa fans who agree with it. Generally I still feel Fran has brought us a lot of good times and will likely have his best post season to date this spring. I’m not at all convinced that Iowa could bring in a stud coach that would really improve things much.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Feels kinda like Kirk were a couple new assistants, particularly ones who can coach defense, would be a good change

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I’m curious..how many agree with this take? I think it is fucking stupid, but know there are a lot of Iowa fans who agree with it. Generally I still feel Fran has brought us a lot of good times and will likely have his best post season to date this spring. I’m not at all convinced that Iowa could bring in a stud coach that would really improve things much.
You think he'll have a better team?

Obviously I don't, so here we sit, forever.

Skinny Skier

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
From a statistical standpoint? Sure. Also it’s now 2-4.

Only argument I would make to refute that is Iowa’s defense is so bad that they put a ton of pressure on their offense late. They’re not likely to force a tough shot which decreases their chance of getting a stop.
This 50/50 makes sense so I looked at Fran’s career at Iowa. Arbitrary criteria and not accounting for end game free throws, but in games decided by six points or less or in OT, Iowa is 35-61.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Fran not being able to tell the difference between wanting struggling guards to get a rest vs. Garza being subbed back in says all you need to know about him. Comparing the 2 situations is a joke.
Oh he knows. He’s just being an ass.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
You think he'll have a better team?

Obviously I don't, so here we sit, forever.
I’m not really sure. He probably won’t ever have a team with more offensive fire power, but he’s going to have quite a bit of talent in the program still and he’s consistently had us in the top half of the big ten with less talent.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I’m not really sure. He probably won’t ever have a team with more offensive fire power, but he’s going to have quite a bit of talent in the program still and he’s consistently had us in the top half of the big ten with less talent.
Top half of the Big Ten, but never a real threat to win it. While I like his personality, it isn't endearing to most Iowa fans. So, like I was saying, here we sit. Better, but disappointing.

Good enough that a program like Iowa can't really talk itself into canning him, but never good enough to matter.

Reaction score
When will JBo become the best shooter in college basketball? I am asking this to Bobby Hansen who continues to refer to him as such.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I’m not defending Fran’s stupid two foul rule, but I kind of understand it the way this game was officiated in the first half. There is a 100% chance someone would have picked up a third foul on a phantom call.
Of course. But there is no danger in playing him 2 minutes here and 2 minutes there. Of course Indiana is going to go after him on offense. But he’s smart enough to know to get out of the way. He wasn’t guarding Jackson-Davis. He was guarding someone that wasn’t really a threat to score.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Anyone got a video of that block I thought was a goal tend? Would have been nice to have those 2 points.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
I’m ready for bohannon to move on.
He can’t seem to create space even off of screens. He’s one dimensional and hasn’t been very good at that one dimension since he was injured.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
Another game where Weiskamp comes out hot in the first half and disappears in the second half. I said at halftime, we couldn't afford for Joe W to disappear in the second half, yet he did once again.

CamelTones

Reaction score
He can’t seem to create space even off of screens. He’s one dimensional and hasn’t been very good at that one dimension since he was injured.
The problem is his primary backup brings defenders straight down to Garza. We can all pretend that Joe T is going to make 10 layups a game but the reality is he clogs the lane for Garza.

He’ll be perfect for next years team that will rely more on drive and kick.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Get CJ back. Win a few games. All will be forgotten.

Hopefully lol

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
When will JBo become the best shooter in college basketball? I am asking this to Bobby Hansen who continues to refer to him as such.
Best in college basketball is a stretch, but he’s shooting 38% this year, 40% for his career, and is one of the most decorated 3 point shooters in big ten history. Bohannons shooting is not the problem. Weird take.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Fran is a bitch for answering like that, the reporters circling the wagons are every bit the bitches for acting like the developed PTSD from a mean answer.
You either have the balls to call him out on a follow-up or STFU up about it. But I agree, as the losses begin to pile up, many get annoyed with this type of response from Fran.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Fran is as affable as they come when he is doing those mid-week interviews nationally and is a dick when things aren’t going well. He’s far from the only one. He’s frustrated and pissed off. We all are. But when the NPOY front runner isn’t even above the stupid 2 foul rule and he only plays 8 minutes in the first half, you have to answer for that. Because it was stupid and applying it in blanket fashion has always been stupid.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
When Bill Raftery said Iowa was a really good defensive team it took every ounce of my strength and will power not to punch my wife in the face.

Last edited:

CamelTones

Reaction score
What exactly was the plan on the last shot? Connor slammed it off the backboard.

BluesHawk

Goes to Applebee’s for special occasions
Reaction score
I’m ready for bohannon to move on.
I really am over him. He can't create, can't pass, can't play defense, and plays sloppy and lazy.

Unless he really starts shooting lights out, he'll be my least favorite player this year.

BluesHawk

Goes to Applebee’s for special occasions
Reaction score
Toussaint was a goddamn nightmare today.