**Iowa vs. Indiana Basketball Thread - 2/7/21 - 11:00am - Fox**

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Luka left game with 2nd foul at 12:30 mark, ia was out scored 29-14 rest of half, the last 15:40 of 1st half no ia player other then weisy made a field goal

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Luka left game with 2nd foul at 12:30 mark, ia was out scored 29-14 rest of half, the last 15:40 of 1st half no ia player other then weisy made a field goal
Here’s an interesting statistic: NO IOWA BENCH PLAYER MADE A FUCKING BASKET!!!!

Reaction score
Not sure if been said, but the 33 foot 3 that made bohannon was an awful play. Timeout should’ve been called. Another shitty coaching decision by Fran.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Indiana was going to let Iowa throw it into the front court and call timeout. Connor threw a bank pass instead.

Reaction score
I'm still in awe that with this talent, this experience back, this many pieces seemingly in place....this is the result we get. A good team, I guess. Middle of the pack B10 team. Half trying not to become apathetic towards IA basketball.

CamelTones

Reaction score
If a guy has to sit the rest of the half with 2 fouls, shouldn’t he sit at least the next half of the 1st half if he picks up his 1st foul early in the game? You’re essentially making him play with 4 fouls for 18 minutes.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
I'm still in awe that with this talent, this experience back, this many pieces seemingly in place....this is the result we get. A good team, I guess. Middle of the pack B10 team. Half trying not to become apathetic towards IA basketball.
It’s just who we are. The teams that seem good early lose strength and flow and slide down to a 7-10 seed. The teams that don’t seem as strong early pull some shit together and eek out a 7-10 seed. It’s pretty difficult to get past the first weekend of the tournament with a 7-10 seed.

I don’t know if Alford-esque apathy is forthcoming for me though.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I understand he ended with two fouls but He also played no fucking d to put himself in a position to get fouls
The defense inside with Keegan and Jack, even Pat somewhat, provides some rim protection. They had some nice possessions in the first half until they switched to fucking zone.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
This much talent and the same shit year after year on the court. Pants shitting double digit leads blown. Easy looks for the opposing team in crunch time. Terrible looks/not even getting off a fucking shot by iowa in end of game situations. Maybe a possible sweet 16 run is the ceiling with Fran, which is fucking sad with this roster.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
If a guy has to sit the rest of the half with 2 fouls, shouldn’t he sit at least the next half of the 1st half if he picks up his 1st foul early in the game? You’re essentially making him play with 4 fouls for 18 minutes.
Yes, Fran logic would have criteria for each numbered foul.

Foul #1 - you sit until the midpoint of the first half
Foul #2 - you sit until halftime
Foul #3 - you sit until the midpoint of the second half
Foul #4 - you sit until under 4:00 remaining (reference to Fran having Garza on the bench with < 4:00 remaining against Illinois)

Of course, you could recognize that what you want is to maximize the # of minutes played by your best players, regardless of when during the game they occur, and sit your best players only when they need rest.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I don’t personally think we have a ton of raw talent.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
When Bill Raftery said Iowa was a really good defensive team it took every ounce of my strength and will power not to punch my wife in the face.
Speaking of wives...mine could play defense with more intensity and toughness than most of Franimal's team.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Yes, Fran logic would have criteria for each numbered foul.

Foul #1 - you sit until the midpoint of the first half
Foul #2 - you sit until halftime
Foul #3 - you sit until the midpoint of the second half
Foul #4 - you sit until under 4:00 remaining (reference to Fran having Garza on the bench with < 4:00 remaining against Illinois)

Of course, you could recognize that what you want is to maximize the # of minutes played by your best players, regardless of when during the game they occur, and sit your best players only when they need rest.
I really want to know what value Fran puts on each minute of the game. I like it when coaches have a stated belief system around the minutes with my favorite being in football end of first half start of second half. Fran’s practice indicates one is there, I wonder if he can (or has he) accurately articulated it?

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I feel like a few of the players are apathetic towards IA basketball.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Alternate possession on a wedged shot is dumb. If you miss it that bad it should just go to the other team.
I was just talking to some assholes about this yesterday. It’s bullshit. Rewards offense for a shitty shot. Should be treated the same as a shot bouncing off the top of the backboard.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I don’t think Iowa is all that talented. Garza and Weiskamp, I suppose.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
We can argue about what raw talent means, but kenpom has them #5.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I don’t think Iowa is all that talented. Garza and Weiskamp, I suppose.
Weiskamp should be better defensively, but offensively he has developed as well as can be reasonably expected. Garza is better than expected. The rest if the team in solidly in the “meets expectations” category.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
I’m ready for bohannon to move on.
Just finished watching the game. This is the only statement that matters. It’s comical watching him play defense. What could have been a great season has been sabotaged by a Senior leader. Great Y player, terrible college basketball PG.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Fine, but it's just semantics. Instead of saying talent, he should have said skill or something. The point remains, this team is being squandered.

I get that it ends up a little self-defeating. Fran deserves credit for building a team like this out of these players, but also blame for not doing anything with it.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Fine, but it's just semantics. Instead of saying talent, he should have said skill or something. The point remains, this team is being squandered.

I get that it ends up a little self-defeating. Fran deserves credit for building a team like this out of these players, but also blame for not doing anything with it.
That’s sort of what I mean. I’m frustrated too, but Fran is the only reason to look at this roster and expect a top 10 team in the first place.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Maybe the unique nature of the way this team is constructed is being overlooked, how they absolutely need all the pieces to fit. It probably isn't a coincidence that Connor turned to dogshit as soon as CJ couldn't go, less space and a quicker defender and all of a sudden he's struggling and having a guy that only has value as a post feeder doesn't really work anymore. The defense, while never good, completely fell off the cliff. Is one good but not great player really that important?

I'm trying not to be irrational, but I really thought watching a kenpom top 5 team would be less aggravating.

CamelTones

Reaction score
That’s all fine and dandy, but the talent is there to make a run in March.

You can’t handcuff yourself by sitting someone like Garza for 13 minutes because he has 2 fouls in a sweet 16 game.

It’s just ironic that he trusts his players when the other team is making a run by refusing to call a timeout but he can’t trust those same players to avoid picking up a 3rd, 4th or 5th foul.

That was my point about coin flip games for Iowa and how they’re not really 50/50. Garza picked up his 4th foul at the 4 minute mark against Illinois and Fran sat him on the bench for a minute. Why would you do that? You’re choosing between likely trailing when he comes back in or leading when (if) he picks up his 5th foul. If he never picks up the 5th foul, you chose to have him miss 60 of the most important seconds of the game for no reason.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Fran’s lineups vs Kirk’s clock management. Who you got?

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
It’s utterly baffling to me that kids that had two college basketball players as parents and spent more time in a basketball gym than 99.99% of human beings since the day they were born are such awful shooters.
You can find better shooters - in terms of form, rotation, rhythym, etc. - at any open gym. With that said, Patrick will be fine. He's athletic enough where he shouldn't have to depend on the three to score. Connor is who he is.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Whatever man.(Now off to wal mart to get some Russel athletic Iowa gear)

CamelTones

Reaction score
Doug, we are a sweet 16 away from being a borderline blue blood program. I will settle for nothing less.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Maybe some of you losers will realize games in early February don’t mean shit as long as they perform well in March

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Listening to Jbo's podcast, there is definitely somewhat of a backstory between that ref and Fran, you could tell they wanted to say it but know better. Not that Fran has ever exhibited any flexibility on his two foul rule, but perhaps that contributed - Fran figured the guy would fuck him.