- Iowa vs Maryland. 1/7/21. 6:00pm. ESPN2 -

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I know the officiating wasn't that much of a factor tonight.

But I have to mention both of Garza "F1-possible" reviews and the travel called on JoeT after Morsell absolutely bodied him off his dribble-driving lane were 3 cases of "WTF are you seeing there?!" moments from the guys in stripes. Both of those fouls on Garza were (A) flops by the MD defender and also (B) 'cylinder' violations.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score

But I have to mention both of Garza "F1-possible" reviews and the travel called on JoeT after Morsell absolutely bodied him off his dribble-driving lane were 3 cases of "WTF are you seeing there?!" moments from the guys in stripes. Both of those fouls on Garza were (A) flops by the MD defender and also (B) 'cylinder' violations.
this is correct and the first one should have absolutely gotten a flop warning - the fucking guy flailed back a full second after he got grazed

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
He's not gonna fuck you.
Idk. I have this fantasy where we start talking at Fry Fest. We exchange a few pleasantries. He asks what I do. I say his soft and supple hands are the best in the country. He laughs. I get my drink. "Well, see ya," I say and walk away. I've got his attention now. How many guys voluntarily leave a conversation with Luka Garza? He touches his neck as he watches me leave. Later, as the night's dragged on and the coterie of gorgeous narcissists grows increasingly loose, he finds me on the balcony, my bowtie undone, smoking a cigarette. "Got a spare?" he asks. "What's in it for me?" I say as I hand him one of my little white ladies. he smiles. "Conversation with me, duh." I laugh. "What's so funny?" he protests. "Nothing, nothing... It's just... don't you grow tired of the fame?" "You get used to it," he says, lighting his cigarette and handing me back the lighter. "What would you do if you weren't an elbow magnet basketball player?" I ask. "Teaching, I think." "And if I was your student, what would I be learning?" "Discipline," he says quickly, looking up into my eyes, before changing the subject. "Where are you from?" "Bermuda," I say. "Oh wow. That's lovely." "It's ok," I admit. "Not everything is to my liking." "What could possibly be not to your liking in Bermuda?" he inquires. "I don't like sand," I tell him. "It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Idk. I have this fantasy where we start talking at Fry Fest. We exchange a few pleasantries. He asks what I do. I say his soft and supple hands are the best in the country. He laughs. I get my drink. "Well, see ya," I say and walk away. I've got his attention now. How many guys voluntarily leave a conversation with Luka Garza? He touches his neck as he watches me leave. Later, as the night's dragged on and the coterie of gorgeous narcissists grows increasingly loose, he finds me on the balcony, my bowtie undone, smoking a cigarette. "Got a spare?" he asks. "What's in it for me?" I say as I hand him one of my little white ladies. he smiles. "Conversation with me, duh." I laugh. "What's so funny?" he protests. "Nothing, nothing... It's just... don't you grow tired of the fame?" "You get used to it," he says, lighting his cigarette and handing me back the lighter. "What would you do if you weren't an elbow magnet basketball player?" I ask. "Teaching, I think." "And if I was your student, what would I be learning?" "Discipline," he says quickly, looking up into my eyes, before changing the subject. "Where are you from?" "Bermuda," I say. "Oh wow. That's lovely." "It's ok," I admit. "Not everything is to my liking." "What could possibly be not to your liking in Bermuda?" he inquires. "I don't like sand," I tell him. "It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."

Reaction score

Garza may be pregnant off the second one.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
this is correct and the first one should have absolutely gotten a flop warning - the fucking guy flailed back a full second after he got grazed
I have to think it was discussed pregame that Garza clears space along the refs.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I have to think it was discussed pregame that Garza clears space along the refs.
But if they aren't going to call the F1, why call it all - especially on the 2nd one, if called for it already? What's the point??

Reaction score
AdjO 1
AdjD 77

Kenpom update after tonight’s game
Also back up to #4 overall. It's early and schedule has a big impact but we're also effectively in a 3-way tie for 5th in PPP in Big Ten play. 1/4 of the way through the conference season, that's a big improvement.
Basically we've had 2 really good defensive games, 2 average-slightly below average games and 1 terrible game in Big Ten play. And the terrible game went from bad to terrible because we let it get to OT and collapsed.

Reaction score
bohannon is now shooting 38% from 3 for the year. 19-38 in five Big Ten games. 15-23 the last 3 games.

I felt like a dick after getting into an e-argument with @Stomper15 after the Minnesota game about a semantic nitpick and not giving up on it. Sometimes this board brings out combativeness that really shouldn't exist when we're all rooting for the same thing. I made a vow to try not to jump on stuff and look like a prick even if that wasn't my intent.

WIth all that said, if you were someone who thought bohannon was done and couldn't shoot anymore and should be replaced by Joe T., you're a fucking idiot.

brantshawks

Nebrantska Fan
Reaction score
Tell it again...

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Also back up to #4 overall. It's early and schedule has a big impact but we're also effectively in a 3-way tie for 5th in PPP in Big Ten play. 1/4 of the way through the conference season, that's a big improvement.
Basically we've had 2 really good defensive games, 2 average-slightly below average games and 1 terrible game in Big Ten play. And the terrible game went from bad to terrible because we let it get to OT and collapsed.
I don't know if this means anything, but for as much as people focus on defense, looking at the Top 10 of KenPom shows the following....

- Only one Top 10 team is ranked lower than #13 in Adjusted Offense. That is Tennessee at #38 but they are #2 on Adjusted Defense
- 6 of the Top 10 are ranked #15 or lower in Adjusted Defense. #15, #18, #20, #27, #38, #77

Basically, it seems to matter a lot more that you are elite on offense and not defense.

douglasbader

Reaction score
This is pretty obvious, but what a difference a year and a roster makes.

Wieskamp and Fredrick are both in min-slumps for the last 3-4 games, and Wieskamp especially. In the last 4 games he is 11-36 from the field (30.5%) and 3-16 from three (18.8%). Both have been pretty garbage on defense as well, and especially Fredrick and his awareness of sticking with shooters. Joe is back to overthinking everything and is in his own head.

Last year Fran either had to leave them on the floor and let them flounder around like fish and continue to ruin their confidence, or he was forced to put in some combination of Evelyn, Pemsl, Till and Ash.

This year Fran is able to pull a couple of really good players like Wieskamp and Fredrick and tell them to sit the fuck down and watch while he subs in some combination of Murray, Patrick, Nunge and Ulis.

It's the difference between Rutgers being a loss instead of a 2 point win or struggling to beat a mediocre Maryland team on the road and blown them the fuck out.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Sample size, quality of competition and all that, but Keegan Murray is averaging 14.5 minutes per game.

Cordell Pemsl averaged 16.3 minutes per game at Iowa.

Last edited:

douglasbader

Reaction score
There are 2 things from the pandemic that I hope are considered as permanent changes for college basketball. The first is that I hope they consider ways to keep the expanded bench area for teams. It's been great to see teams able to have space to go nuts and create a lot of energy being able to move around and not be cramped into a small area or right on the court where the refs are constantly telling them to get back or sit down. I'm sure that will be hard because of the $$$$ factor, but should at least be a consideration.

I also like the more casual dress for coaches. They appear so much more comfortable and free not having to wear a suit and tie.

douglasbader

Reaction score
To be honest, I really don't even miss fans at games for college basketball. The level of play hasn't dropped off at all and I've enjoyed watching each bench and staff having a blast rather than fucking Gasser or some gray hairs or dipshit Hawk's Nest dorks. I also think players tend not to make stupid decisions based on crowd reaction now. For ever time a player comes down and heat checks a three and makes it and has the crowd go crazy, there are 10 other times it is a bad shot and clanks off and gives the other team a run out layup.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
The lack of fans benefits a relatively weak, lily white Iowa team and our style of play. It hurts teams like Michigan State, Illinois, and Purdue who rape down the stretch of every game and get away with it with a crowd behind them.

We will still lose at Breslin. Izzo will cry face his below average team to victory.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The lack of fans benefits a relatively weak, lily white Iowa team and our style of play. It hurts teams like Michigan State, Illinois, and Purdue who rape down the stretch of every game and get away with it with a crowd behind them.

We will still lose at Breslin. Izzo will cry face his below average team to victory.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
There are 2 things from the pandemic that I hope are considered as permanent changes for college basketball. The first is that I hope they consider ways to keep the expanded bench area for teams. It's been great to see teams able to have space to go nuts and create a lot of energy being able to move around and not be cramped into a small area or right on the court where the refs are constantly telling them to get back or sit down. I'm sure that will be hard because of the $$$$ factor, but should at least be a consideration.

I also like the more casual dress for coaches. They appear so much more comfortable and free not having to wear a suit and tie.
Was talking about that Wednesday night. I could see coaches never going back to suits again.