**Iowa vs. Maryland Basketball - 1/30/20 - 7:30pm - BTN**

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Hard to compete effectively on the road when a 'third party' almost completely neutralizes your NPoY candidate short after the opening tip. Fuck Maryland and the refs.

But despite the 5-on-8 all night, the Hawks competed all game long. Just missed some open shots, and gave up a ton of offensive rebounds/second chances to Maryland. They competed and battled though. This loss does not hurt a bit.

Flush it and get ready to take on the co-leaders Sunday afternoon in Carver. Protect homecourt! And, of course, FUCK ILLINOIS!!!

Reaction score
Luka in early and then real foul trouble plus CJ and Joe missing open looks plus a road whistle against a good team equals no chance. Plus they go 23-26 from the line.

There were a few big turning points but given all that, it was their game. Nothing from Kriener, Toussaint wasn't good, Evelyn invisible again. Pemsl gave us good minutes.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
If they shoot it well they can. They play good defense, Smith is a stud and they have quickness/athleticism with a PG who can be really good.
They’re a shit road team, and they’re not getting the calls like that on a neutral court, NCAA game. They don’t shoot it consistently enough for me to think they’re huge threat in March.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I thought bringing Smith from the help side was a good move by Turgeon. Once Luka starts his moves he’s rarely passing it out, so you can commit Smith to the block shot attempt and not be too concerned his man.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Yep that’s how you try and slow him down. Designate who the help guy (whoever is guarding Joe T or Connor) and clog the lane

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Had multiple chances to get back in the game. Missed free throws, block outs and WIDE open looks against our "zone" killed us. Can't blame it on the refs.

Luka was a dumbass for picking up that cheap second one. Really dumb foul. That changes everything from that point forward.

Reaction score
I thought bringing Smith from the help side was a good move by Turgeon. Once Luka starts his moves he’s rarely passing it out, so you can commit Smith to the block shot attempt and not be too concerned his man.
This was key. When Smith was in him 1:1 it was fine. This change made a huge difference

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
I blame it on the rain.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
So what was the final count, Maryland hit 7 shots at the end of the shot clock right?

Fran should have let Kriener play after picking up his second (getting a T was dumb KAT!), especially considering how limited his minutes were in the second half.

Wieskamp looked exhausted.

Bovert

Fat ISU Fan
Reaction score
It's DJ Carstensen, not Carstens, and yes he sucks

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
This was the second game in a row where the offense was derailed by early Luka fouls. They were able to recover against Wisconsin, but not able to fight through everything on the road.

I said this in chat, and not to sound too many alarms, but when Iowa has struggled in late January / February it seems like it has always been because the offense starts to struggle. A lot of that is due to the Big Ten refs stop giving a fuck about freedom of movement and start to let teams thug it the fuck out.

Basically 3 games in a row where they have either struggled on offense or had to fight back from behind in the second half. Rutgers game they scored 85 mostly due to a ton of free throws in the second half, but they didn't shoot well that half.

Hopefully it is because they played 2 pretty good teams and Garza's foul trouble brought him back to earth, but he is missing a lot of shots the last 2 games he was hitting in all the games before that.

They need to get back to some efficient offense on Sunday.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Fredrick hit two of his first four shots from three. The two he missed were airballs.

I don't have a point, just thought it was strange.

CamelTones

Reaction score
This was the second game in a row where the offense was derailed by early Luka fouls. They were able to recover against Wisconsin, but not able to fight through everything on the road.

I said this in chat, and not to sound too many alarms, but when Iowa has struggled in late January / February it seems like it has always been because the offense starts to struggle. A lot of that is due to the Big Ten refs stop giving a fuck about freedom of movement and start to let teams thug it the fuck out.

Basically 3 games in a row where they have either struggled on offense or had to fight back from behind in the second half. Rutgers game they scored 85 mostly due to a ton of free throws in the second half, but they didn't shoot well that half.

Hopefully it is because they played 2 pretty good teams and Garza's foul trouble brought him back to earth, but he is missing a lot of shots the last 2 games he was hitting in all the games before that.

They need to get back to some efficient offense on Sunday.
Teams have adjusted to Iowa. Now Iowa needs to find a counter. Also need to get Connor back up to 7-8 points a game.

Reaction score
They really only played 7 guys and only 3 of them had an ORtg over 100. Those 3 (Smith, Cowan, Morsell) had 59 points on 15-20 from 2, 3-10 from 3 and 20-21 from the line.

Ended up slightly better on the glass overall, fewer turnovers and shot better from 3. They were 59% from 2 to our 38% and were +9 at the line.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Teams have adjusted to Iowa. Now Iowa needs to find a counter. Also need to get Connor back up to 7-8 points a game.
I think one obvious counter is if Luka is struggling or getting excessively doubled, get him out of the lane and post Wieskamp.

He is really good on the post having basically played point center in High School and has great post of skills

Reaction score
I think one obvious counter is if Luka is struggling or getting excessively doubled, get him out of the lane and post Wieskamp.

He is really good on the post having basically played point center in High School and has great post of skills
Iowa needs to exclusively feed the post with Joe W or CJ, then you get inside out 3s that are basically automatic. If you need to feed post post or with Conner, then feed and replace with one of those two.

Teams have automatically double Garza when a shit player like Pemsl feeds the post. It's a lot harder for them to double off of Joe W and Cj.

Last edited:

CamelTones

Reaction score
Iowa actually was fine on offense, they just missed a ton of open looks from the outside. Some of it could be fatigue.

And the 3 plays the killed Iowa were the missed layup by Wieskamp thy resulted in Garza’s second foul, the missed shot by Toussaint that Wieskamp rebounded and weirdly missed (may have been fouled) that would have cut it to 4 and the missed front end of the 1 and 1 by Garza.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
Iowa actually was fine on offense, they just missed a ton of open looks from the outside. Some of it could be fatigue.

And the 3 plays the killed Iowa were the missed layup by Wieskamp thy resulted in Garza’s second foul, the missed shot by Toussaint that Wieskamp rebounded and weirdly missed (may have been fouled) that would have cut it to 4 and the missed front end of the 1 and 1 by Garza.
This. And the ridiculous double foul call.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
Iowa needs to exclusively feed the post with Joe W or CJ, then you get inside out 3s that are basically automatic. If you need to feed post post or with Conner, then feed and replace with one of those two.

Teams have automatically double Garza when a shit player like Pemsl feeds the post. It's a lot harder for them to double off of Joe W and Cj.
Teams will usually designate the player they will double off of. It can come from the weak side if help and recover are executed properly. I know you know that just saying that’s what I’d do.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I know Connor is who he is, and so much of it is really good for this team. But man, if he could shoot 35%+ from 3 it would really help this team spacing wise. Not that it is usually an issue, but this offense is one shooter (bohannon) short right now from being unstoppable.

Reaction score
Teams will usually designate the player they will double off of. It can come from the weak side if help and recover are executed properly. I know you know that just saying that’s what I’d do.
I know. But if you watch, defenders can't help but leave their man when Garza goes to work. I'm just saying a lot of the time that's not CJ and Joe. When it is, those two get easy looks.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
So what was the final count, Maryland hit 7 shots at the end of the shot clock right?

Fran should have let Kriener play after picking up his second (getting a T was dumb KAT!), especially considering how limited his minutes were in the second half.

Wieskamp looked exhausted.
I was thinking the same thing about Kriener when Fran yanked him. Kriener was still fresh. Should have left him in the game. IMO, the value of having him on the court outweighed the risk of him getting a third or fourth foul.

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing about Kriener when Fran yanked him. Kriener was still fresh. Should have left him in the game. IMO, the value of having him on the court outweighed the risk of him getting a third or fourth foul.
Does it really matter if Kreiner fouls out? That 2 foul rule of his is just dumb.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Does it really matter if Kreiner fouls out? That 2 foul rule of his is just dumb.
I thought Fran did a fine job with the two foul rule last night. Putting Garza back in when he did and yanking him at the under 4 was great. He probably could have played Kriener a little more after his second, but Kriener is typically much more likely to pick up a third than Garza. The lack of depth in the front court really shines through in that scenario. Though, Till and Pemsl actually gave us some solid minutes last night.

Reaction score
I thought Fran did a fine job with the two foul rule last night. Putting Garza back in when he did and yanking him at the under 4 was great. He probably could have played Kriener a little more after his second, but Kriener is typically much more likely to pick up a third than Garza. The lack of depth in the front court really shines through in that scenario. Though, Till and Pemsl actually gave us some solid minutes last night.
I thought Till's minutes were great.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
Which is why I’m not convinced he shouldn’t play over Cordell.
I would agree. Pemsl was actually decent last night. Brings nothing offensively and still looks bad, but he had a couple good rebounds and Maryland had some bad fouls on them.