**Iowa vs. Michigan State Basketball - 2/25/20 - 6pm - ESPN2**

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm not sure I really buy the whole "Wieskamp looks better when CJF plays - or needs CJF on the floor to take some pressure off" argument.

Joe got some very open looks tonight and still bricked them. One was wide open and he barely clanked the front of the rim.

He's getting shots, he's just doesn't have the confidence to shoot it as well as we all know he can - and does, at home.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Wieskamp does not appear to be playing good defense to me. He looks like he is floating around out there. He makes a bad play on offense and then half jogs back.

plus what is up with him falling forward onto the floor every other drive?

Reaction score
I'm an iowa fan too, man. They just arent good enough without joe playing better. Maybe CJs return allows that. Well see
My point is no one has any idea what will happen in the tournament. Great teams get bounced on an off day. Teams fade down the stretch and make huge runs. We could face a 12 and 13 the first weekend. We have the best player in the country and a team that has fought and played tough all year.

Reaction score
He’s not pressing on offense. He passes up multiple open shots every game and routinely takes two dribbles then stops and kicks it back out.
Because he has zero confidence and is completely in his head and questioning everything he does. Come on man, it's not because he doesn't think he needs to score.

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Reading about Wieskamp right now reminds me of all those hot takes about Connor last year.
I get where this comes from, but Connor hadn’t shown the type of talent Joe has and people just thought he sucked. With Joe it’s more that people know he’s good but for whatever reason he’s temporarily stalled.

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Because he has zero confidence and is completely in his head and questioning everything he does. Come on man, it's not because he doesn't think he needs to score.
I agree with you, but I wouldn’t call that pressing. Pressing to me is when a guy forces bad shots or gets too aggressive because he’s frustrated. It’s all semantics so whatever.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
The worst part about Joe not looking to score, when Fran is clearly running stuff for him is that when it fizzles, we suddenly have too many mediocre players trying to go one on one too early in the shot clock.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I get where this comes from, but Connor hadn’t shown the type of talent Joe has and people just thought he sucked. With Joe it’s more that people know he’s good but for whatever reason he’s temporarily stalled.
Right, which actually makes the criticism in this instance even worse.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
My point is no one has any idea what will happen in the tournament. Great teams get bounced on an off day. Teams fade down the stretch and make huge runs. We could face a 12 and 13 the first weekend. We have the best player in the country and a team that has fought and played tough all year.
I'm with you, brother. Unless joe shows his big balls they're one shooter short still. Still looking forward to the 3 games down the stretch. Can definitely do 3-0.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
The 3/4 court press was pretty shitty tonight outside of that swipe steal by Connor. Really thought Iowa was going to win after that. They sucked from the 2nd missed free throw on.

Reaction score
Fran is trying to talk Joe up. Saying they ran some plays for him, he had good looks, some went in and out. He's a phenomenal kid that's really upset with himself. Talking up his defense and rebounding.

Said he told them he's proud of the fight, they're upset because they were close and made some mistakes late. Need to not beat themselves up about mistakes and look at things objectively just like coaches. They'll question if they should have stayed man instead of zone more late, etc.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Joe Wieskamp is the first player to ever go through a multiple game slump.

We all know from every other good player that has ever slumped, he will never recover. Iowa is fucked and might end up disbanding the program.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Watching Pemsl try and take his man 1-on-1 with 'whirling dervish' moves is making me go gray even earlier.

Pick up your points on flashes to the bucket when the other big gets double or triple-teamed or rebound putbacks, Cordell. You are not a creator.

Reaction score
The 3/4 court press was pretty shitty tonight outside of that swipe steal by Connor. Really thought Iowa was going to win after that. They sucked from the 2nd missed free throw on.
I wouldn't call it shitty. They were playing the passive version tonight just to slow things down. Weren't trapping or really jumping lanes. They didn't get beat on it and give up easy secondary stuff.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
He made some great plays in screen/roll with Garza against OSU. Kriener in foul trouble prevented some of that, and they need 1-2 more shooters to run that more often.

Shpadoinkle

Reaction score
It’s also just a coinkydink that his slump comes every time the #3 scorer is injured.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I agree he has looked like garbage on offense, but the fact that he’s still playing decent defense and rebounding well gives me hope. This is probably totally different, but I recall a stretch in 2012-13 where we didn’t even want Marble on the court because of how bad he was playing but he came on really strong at the end and in the NIT.
At Minnesota that year he didn’t look like he was a division 1 player. Played like 4 minutes and had something like 5 turnovers and an air ball. Team almost won the game without him.

Joe is going to turn it around, hopefully the other guys keep playing this well.

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Right, which actually makes the criticism in this instance even worse.
For the “too far gone” crowd I fully agree. But I think it’s fair for people to be frustrated while recognizing that he’ll probably snap out of it and ball out again.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Joe Wieskamp is the first player to ever go through a multiple game slump.

We all know from every other good player that has ever slumped, he will never recover. Iowa is fucked and might end up disbanding the program.
Kid should just transfer to Ambrose.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I really liked the call where Toussaint got called for undercutting their guy then they reviewed it to make sure it wasn’t a flagrant and it turns out he didn’t undercut him.
Even better. The non-call of Garza getting undercut - even if inadvertently - and hitting the deck real hard.

Accidentally or not, that was a foul.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
The most obvious loss on the schedule going into the year and so many are bitching.

Izzo ref-cryfaces his team to a home victory every year against us.

Move the fuck on and let's get these last 3 for a top 4 seed.

Shpadoinkle

Reaction score
It wasn’t the refs. I thought they called a pretty typical big ten game. 50/50s went to the home team. The guards gave up on Garza too soon and then threw post entries to guys who aren’t as good as luka and they missed. Weezy turned it over a couple times. Pemsls shitty pass was dumb as fuck and a killer. Garza was gassed.

They played tough but came up with another typical giant doosh road loss.

Reaction score
Yeah the officiating was fine. For a road game at Breslin it was very good for us. Defensively we got away with some steals and blocks they normally would call fouls.

6-27 from 3. 12-18 from the line. Joe 1-8 and 0-5. Luka 8-21 and 0-5. No CJ. That's the 8 point loss. We killed them on the glass and the defense was good for our standards up there. They hit some big shots 2nd half and we couldn't get anything to Luka the last 7 minutes or so.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
It wasn’t the refs. I thought they called a pretty typical big ten game. 50/50s went to the home team. The guards gave up on Garza too soon and then threw post entries to guys who aren’t as good as luka and they missed. Weezy turned it over a couple times. Pemsls shitty pass was dumb as fuck and a killer. Garza was gassed.

They played tough but came up with another typical giant doosh road loss.
I agree with you up until about the last 8 to 10 minutes. Down the stretch, Tillman was playing great defense ERRRRRRRRRR fouling Garza nearly every possession, no call.

Garza was on the floor from knockdowns half the offensive possessions in the last 6 minutes. Couldn't buy a call.

Shpadoinkle

Reaction score
I agree with you up until about the last 8 to 10 minutes. Down the stretch, Tillman was playing great defense ERRRRRRRRRR fouling Garza nearly every possession, no call.

Garza was on the floor from knockdowns half the offensive possessions in the last 6 minutes. Couldn't buy a call.
I think I’d feel that way if they were calling luka for offensive fouls there, but it was just two grown ass men playing super physical. Luka was fighting like hell too.

I guess I’m just proud that the guys fought so hard. I think Iowa wins by double digits at carver and takes care of biz on a neutral court against that team.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I kicked my cat when Bakari passed up the open 3 in order to drive and got stripped.

cat might be dead

Reaction score
I think I’d feel that way if they were calling luka for offensive fouls there, but it was just two grown ass men playing super physical. Luka was fighting like hell too.

I guess I’m just proud that the guys fought so hard. I think Iowa wins by double digits at carver and takes care of biz on a neutral court against that team.
That right there is the problem with the collegiate game. Especially the Big Ten. It shouldn’t/ doesn’t have to be this way.

Reaction score
I really liked the call where Toussaint got called for undercutting their guy then they reviewed it to make sure it wasn’t a flagrant and it turns out he didn’t undercut him.
I wonder if the refs go to the monitor on a play like that and say, "oh shit, we fucked that up".

Reaction score
Iowa has 2 or 3 wins in EL since “Love Shack” and “We didn’t start the fire” were hits. Poison was a thing too.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Iowa has 2 or 3 wins in EL since “Love Shack” and “We didn’t start the fire” were hits. Poison was a thing too.
They now have close to a 20 game lead in the all time series yet that entire gap is basically because they’ve won something like 16 of the last 18.

Shpadoinkle

Reaction score
That right there is the problem with the collegiate game. Especially the Big Ten. It shouldn’t/ doesn’t have to be this way.
I don’t mind it in the post so much, but definitely think it needs to be called tighter on the perimeter and cutters. I prefer the dinosaurs with post moves to the stretch 5s.