**Iowa vs. Michigan State Basketball - 2/25/20 - 6pm - ESPN2**

Reaction score
I don’t mind it in the post so much, but definitely think it needs to be called tighter on the perimeter and cutters. I prefer the dinosaurs with post moves to the stretch 5s.
Disagree. A foul is a foul. Or at least it should be. Basketball isn’t supposed to be a contact sport. You can’t let one go and call the other.

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Haha, get them in here to try to defend this garbage. Not calling things inside vs out on the perimeter is no different than letting stuff go early in the game then blowing the whistle every chance and playing the role of TV Teddy late.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
With the tiebreaker we pretty much needed 3 of these last 4 to get a double bye.

Now it's 3 of 3. We should get the next 2 and it comes down to Illinois.

50/50.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
breslin is going to be a mug fest, and shit is going to get called that makes no sense. modern refs will call it on the perimeter and not in the post -- it's the evolution of the game.

get two more stops and hit your free throws and this was a 2pt win. the refs were not the issue.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Someone needs to call Joe out and tell him to toughen up
He should have just sat him for the rest of the game when he had him out for a while. We need him to get right for March.

Revolver

Reaction score
Anyone still think Till is a better option than Pemsl?
I remember when I was a 7th grader playing football, the varsity head coach came down to our practice. It was early in the season and we were still having positional battles. He said to our coach, “I want to see Revo throw a few passes”. I threw one pass and it was pathetic. He said, “that‘s enough”.

That was basically Riley Till’s game last night.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
He should have just sat him for the rest of the game when he had him out for a while. We need him to get right for March.
I'm not sure getting tough with him will help.

As far as this season goes, he is what he is. Really good player, great at home, but can be bullied by a physical defender, particularly on the road.

Not to be too dramatic, but this off season could be huge for him. His floor, as far as career at Iowa goes, is merely a really good player. If he learns to fight through adversity, be that with weight training like NLP suggests, or just a mentality thing, he can be an all-timer.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
I'm not sure getting tough with him will help.

As far as this season goes, he is what he is. Really good player, great at home, but can be bullied by a physical defender, particularly on the road.

Not to be too dramatic, but this off season could be huge for him. His floor, as far as career at Iowa goes, is merely a really good player. If he learns to fight through adversity, be that with weight training like NLP suggests, or just a mentality thing, he can be an all-timer.
It's easy to forget he's only a true sophomore. He's just not ready to be the guy yet, which is what Iowa needed last night with the way they were defending Luka. CJ coming back will help Joe a lot.

Revolver

Reaction score
It's easy to forget he's only a true sophomore. He's just not ready to be the guy yet, which is what Iowa needed last night with the way they were defending Luka. CJ coming back will help Joe a lot.
I just don’t think Joe really has what it takes to be “the guy”. When CJ is in the lineup, he isn’t relied upon as much to be something he clearly isn’t prepared to be.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
I just don’t think Joe really has what it takes to be “the guy”. When CJ is in the lineup, he isn’t relied upon as much to be something he clearly isn’t prepared to be.
Probably not, yet.

I think he suffers from the Kirk Ferentz syndrome because he's so stoic. So if he's not playing well, he looks disengaged or almost sad. But it's the same way he looks when he's scoring 20.

He's a talented kid and he will be the man his senior year if he's still here.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
I think Wieskamp's problem is this team needs him to slash and get to the basket off the dribble (because nobody else is even average at it). He's a very good 3 and d guy and a great rebounder for his size, but making moves off the dribble is not his thing. Tires him out and hurts his confidence.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Joe just needs to rip and go. His handle isn’t tight enough nor is he quick enough to do much else. But with good ball movement in combination with him moving well without the ball, he should be able to find a handful of times during a game when a simple rip through and drive will be effective.

Revolver

Reaction score
Joe just needs to rip and go. His handle isn’t tight enough nor is he quick enough to do much else. But with good ball movement in combination with him moving well without the ball, he should be able to find a handful of times during a game when a simple rip through and drive will be effective.
That play he made at the end of the game was perfect where he back the guy down and spun to his right and banked it in. And he was taking good shots, they just were a little off. I was stunned that he missed that mid-range pull up. He’s been solid at rebounding. Just needs some shots to fall.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
This is probably the first time in his career that Joe has gone through an extended shooting slump. That and not liking the physical play at times is getting to him but he'll be fine.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
I agree he has looked like garbage on offense, but the fact that he’s still playing decent defense and rebounding well gives me hope. This is probably totally different, but I recall a stretch in 2012-13 where we didn’t even want Marble on the court because of how bad he was playing but he came on really strong at the end and in the NIT.
He didn't do either of these last night. He got 2-3 rebounds simply ripped out of his hands. He let his man get to the basket uncontested on at least one play, and on one out of bounds play he got beat and simply grabbed the guy. He is completely lost out there right now, in all aspects of the game.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
I don't think he needs to be reminded of that. If anything he looks like he needs to chill out. He's pressing beyond belief right now and completely in his head. He knows what the expectations are, especially with CJ out. You can see him hesitant and questioning everything he does.

He needs to get CJ back where he's freed up, hit a couple shots and relax.
I see no evidence of him "pressing". Instead, he has crawled into a shell.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Not quite sure if its what you mean, but the step through of the 2 OSU defenders and dunk on that undersized 4 of theirs was a fucking thing of absolute beauty.

Reaction score
Oh Dougie Phresh. That wasn't my point. I was simply saying stop blaming losses on the refs (I'm not accusing you of this). And don't tell me people don't cuz I just read 5-10 comments that did.

I hate the Wisconsin and Virginia style of basketball. I agree that it's not the way the game should be played. But how people think that it's a non-contact sport is beyond me.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Not quite sure if its what you mean, but the step through of the 2 OSU defenders and dunk on that undersized 4 of theirs was a fucking thing of absolute beauty.
Agreed. Perhaps he should try something like that again. Just sayin'

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
It was a thing of beauty but not really what I’m talking about. In a motion offense, with good screening and ball movement you can get the defense out of position and in recovery mode. Those are the moments JW needs to exploit.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
It was a thing of beauty but not really what I’m talking about. In a motion offense, with good screening and ball movement you can get the defense out of position and in recovery mode. Those are the moments JW needs to exploit.
Yeah, that dunk came off of a called screen/roll set. They can maybe run more of that to try to get him some confidence, but he needs to be better in the offense.

Last edited:

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
No one is blaming the refs JFC.
How difficult is that though with Garza in the lane? Like the play at the end, Garza was up top because Iowa was in 3 mode so the paint was wide open. Usually when he makes that move the big is standing there because Iowa’s first look is usually a post entry to Garza.

Him and Garza should probably play more of a 2 man game IMO.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
No one is blaming the refs JFC.

How difficult is that though with Garza in the lane? Like the play at the end, Garza was up top because Iowa was in 3 mode so the paint was wide open. Usually when he makes that move the big is standing there because Iowa’s first look is usually a post entry to Garza.

Him and Garza should probably play more of a 2 man game IMO.
Depends on how Fran teaches his motion. It’s really tough to do if Garza just goes block to block but I don’t think he does. But bc they won’t want to switch on a ball screen I agree with you getting them into a 2-man game.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
The widely regarded best league in the country can't recruit. National titles are also a stupid way to measure how good conferences are. Chalk it up to a dumb Wadeism.
20 year coincidence I’m sure

same with the 1 McDonald’s AA committed to the big ten for 2020.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
It seems you’re not going to win a national title unless you’re in the ACC, Big East or sorta SEC. Also the American if we want to include UCONN.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
I think the Hawks will get the last two home games. At Illinois is going to be a bit more difficult. Will be interesting to see how Northwestern does with the Illini. The first game of NW @ Illinois was close. Would be great to see NW beat them, but don't make the Hawks' task more difficult in the process.

Reaction score
That play he made at the end of the game was perfect where he back the guy down and spun to his right and banked it in. And he was taking good shots, they just were a little off. I was stunned that he missed that mid-range pull up. He’s been solid at rebounding. Just needs some shots to fall.
That play doesn’t count as the defense backed off. You could have scored that bucket.

Reaction score
JW can’t be the guy because he is a spot up shooter at best with a few of the cuts AZ was talking about. Offensively that is all you can expect. He gets bodied a couple times in the lane and he cowers in the corner the rest of the game. He doesn’t want the ball. CJ has no fear and his ability to make a play should free up Weezy as a spot shooter. That’s it, that’s all he is good for on Offense. Pussies can’t be “the guy”