**Iowa vs. Minnesota Basketball - 2/16/20 - 12pm - FS1**

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Toussaint get hurt? Just saw the last ten minutes. Evelyn and Pemsl saved the day

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
What an amazing win. No CJ, Joe has 2 points on 1-7 shooting, Luka couldn't have played more than 25 minutes. On the road with basically no shooting.

Fucking tough man. That's as gritty of a win as you can get.
He is better in the zone defense. imo.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Never unhappy with a win, but talk about wondering how it happened.

No bench
No CJF
No JoeW (2 pts)
At least a couple stretches of no points and dumbfuckery with the ball
Refs limiting the NPoY with stupid ass & horrible whistles

And despite all that, Iowa somehow comes away a winner.

Minnesota really sucks. Like sucks enough that hope they don't get into the Dance and embarrass the B10 image.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Garza’s 5th was the worst call I have ever seen especially given the timing and game flow
The refs were in a shitty position on that one IMO. Garza went to box out, then it gets blocked and he does get up into Oturu's legs and makes contact that causes the fall. My biggest issue with college refs is that they call contact that doesn't impact the play. That actually impacted the play even though it was way less contact then we had seen all day.

Reaction score
Luka ended up playing 28 minutes according to ESPN. Somewhat surprising.
Pemsl was 3-3, Bakari 2-4.
Joe 1-7, Kriener 4-14, Connor 1-5 but that 3 was enormous.
Connor had 7 assists, 0 turnovers.
Kriener ended up with 10, 7 and 4 blocks.
8 boards from Wieskamp was big, all defensive. Luka also had 8, Kriener had 7.
They had 9 offensive boards to our 2 in the first half. Second half we got 7 to their 3. That was huge.

Reaction score
KenPom overall bumped up only one spot from 22 to 21.
Offense fell from 4 to 6.
Defense went up from 112 to 86! We were 81st on the morning of the Purdue game so this one almost evened that out.

Reaction score
The KenPom projected Big Ten standings have Maryland 15-5, PSU 14-6.
Then Iowa, MSU, Wisconsin in a 3-way tie for 3rd at 12-8.
Rutgers, Illinois, OSU in a 3-way tie at 11-9. Then another 3-way tie at 10-10.

9 teams projected between 10-12 wins with 3 weeks to go.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
Luka ended up playing 28 minutes according to ESPN. Somewhat surprising.
Pemsl was 3-3, Bakari 2-4.
Joe 1-7, Kriener 4-14, Connor 1-5 but that 3 was enormous.
Connor had 7 assists, 0 turnovers.
Kriener ended up with 10, 7 and 4 blocks.
8 boards from Wieskamp was big, all defensive. Luka also had 8, Kriener had 7.
They had 9 offensive boards to our 2 in the first half. Second half we got 7 to their 3. That was huge.
I really hope that we never again see Kriener take 14 shots. I don't blame him as someone had to shoot and Joe W didn't want any part of it.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
There are countless reasons he should be the NPoY, but the thing about Luka Garza that stands out after this game...... when he just missed that 3 late, and a couple minutes later, he drilled one from the same area, only a bit deeper.

Its takes guts and being a "winner" to not only take the shot again but hit it. And this as a center. Most guys if they miss that first shot, they wuss out and pass off the next shot.

Garza is just a beast. And gets it done from any area on the court.

And it was just a little thing, but that little reach out to knock a bounce pass away for an Iowa steal? That was huge too, because it probably would have led to him picking up another foul from those ref bitches if Oturu had got the ball and 'went to work'.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The KenPom projected Big Ten standings have Maryland 15-5, PSU 14-6.
Then Iowa, MSU, Wisconsin in a 3-way tie for 3rd at 12-8.
Rutgers, Illinois, OSU in a 3-way tie at 11-9. Then another 3-way tie at 10-10.

9 teams projected between 10-12 wins with 3 weeks to go.
If this happens, assuming a loss at MSU, who is the 5? The three teams would be all 1-1 head to head.

Reaction score
We've allowed .80 and .84 points per possession vs. Minnesota this year. They'd be a great team to see in the BTT for us I think.

Also probably just coincidence with matchups and some luck, but it's interesting that 3 of our top 7 defensive games have come without CJ. The two with Minnesota, vs. Maryland and vs. Texas Tech plus two cupcakes. Not a cause and effect because CJ is a good defender but maybe a little more locked in on that end knowing margin is thinner? More likely coincidental with luck though. Be interesting to see how we defend on Thursday.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
If Luka comes back and continues to pump the weights and improves his 3 he will be a nba player

Reaction score
If this happens, assuming a loss at MSU, who is the 5? The three teams would be all 1-1 head to head.
Would then become a tiebreaker with the highest place team I think. Wisconsin will be 1-0 vs. Maryland, we'll be 1-1. Obviously we could beat MSU to win a 3-way and we'd win a 2-way with Wisconsin as is.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I really hope that we never again see Kriener take 14 shots. I don't blame him as someone had to shoot and Joe W didn't want any part of it.
I'm fine with Kriener shooting. He looks for his offense and is our 4th best offensive option on the roster.

With CJ out and Wieskamp not hitting the broad side of a barn, bombs away my perpetually hungover friend.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Would then become a tiebreaker with the highest place team I think. Wisconsin will be 1-0 vs. Maryland, we'll be 1-1. Obviously we could beat MSU to win a 3-way and we'd win a 2-way with Wisconsin as is.
Looks like MSU split with WI (I had thought they only played once) so WI would be the 5.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
In the last 5:20, Minnesota had the following shot attempts:
1. A missed 3pt shot when Garza switched onto a guard who tried to go over him.
2. The 3pt FG attempt Kriener blocked where the phantom Garza foul happened on Oturu’s rebound.
3. A 3/4 court heave as time expired.

Thats pretty pathetic but the D also was better. I think they also had 5 TOs and a missed front end of a 1-and-1. Way to close it out Gophers.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Reading the GopherHole game thread, at the point and after the game ended. That's some good shit, boyz.

Especially the one post about blaming the refs for the L.

Reaction score
2. The 3pt FG attempt Kriener blocked where the phantom Garza foul happened on Oturu’s rebound.

Thats pretty pathetic but the D also was better. I think they also had 5 TOs and a missed front end of a 1-and-1. Way to close it out Gophers.
They also had 2 10 second violations. I can't remember a college team having 1.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Win/win game for me.
Iowa wins and I pocket $20 from a money line bet.
Minnesota wins and Doug takes his ball and goes home.
All in all, I’d rather have the money.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score

My favorite was the simultaneous travel/shot clock violation. I also liked the play out of a timeout where within 5 seconds of inbounding the ball Carr passed it to Pitino.

If there was a bad play to be made the last 5 minutes, they made it. Connor missed a free throw, Garza had a 3 rim in and out and Wieskamp took an ill advised hook shot type layup in that same stretch. Could have ended on a 16 or 17-0 run.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
9 big ten teams are pretty much firmly in the NCAA tournament now.

3 more fighting for a berth are Purdue, Indiana, and Minnesota. While Minnesota doesn't seem like a tournament team at 12-12, Kenpom has their SOS at #2 and BPI #1.

I think the big ten gets 11.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Win/win game for me.
Iowa wins and I pocket $20 from a money line bet.
Minnesota wins and Doug takes his ball and goes home.
All in all, I’d rather have the money.
Oh stop it, you love me.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

3 more fighting for a berth are Purdue, Indiana, and Minnesota. While Minnesota doesn't seem like a tournament team at 12-12, Kenpom has their SOS at #2 and BPI #1.

Not arguing the metrics don't help them, but Minnesota might end up under .500 after the BTT. The next two should be wins (vs IU and @ NW) but then a visit from Maryland, followed up by @ WIS and @ IU.

If they finish 2-3, they'll need to go 2-1 in the BTT to be .500.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score

The Big Ten is crazy good and the conference is going to clean up in the dance. That was a great road win today.

douglasbader

Reaction score

The problem for Minnesota is their NET SOS is only in the 20's.

They aren't getting in unless they go at least 4-2 to finish the season and win a couple in the BTT.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Indiana has to go 3-3 to finish the season and think they could sneak in. I think more likely they end something like 2-4 and need a couple of BTT wins to get in.

Purdue likely has to go 3-2 to finish the season and they should be in.

I think at the end of the day the Big Ten will get 10 teams in. Northwestern, Nebrantska, Minnesota and Indiana get left out.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
The 11/12th big ten teams will, unfairly, be on the outside looking in because of the optics of letting in 12 teams from one conference, IMO.

Tugboat

Berntard
Reaction score
They stole another one! These fucking guys.

Wieskamp, has he always half assed it getting back on defense?