**Iowa vs. Minnesota Basketball Thread - 12/25/20 - 7:00pm - BTN**

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
NLP talks about sports the way he talks about politics. Cherry picks facts and ignores facts that aren't aligned to his preconceived notions.
what's the site that tracks plus and minus for individual players. would like to see it from last night.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Easy follows? Are we trying to credit offensive rebounds to the player missing the shot?

Reaction score
I could get 4 assists playing with Garza. Connors reluctance to shoot hurts the offense and other than entry passes, he rarely creates opportunities for teammates. Did you watch the end of reg prior to missing 2 Fts, Toussaint creates opportunities for everyone. He draws the defense when he penetrates which allows his teammates to get easy shots or follows.
If you could get 4, why did Joe T. only get 3?

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Box plus minus from last night has Connor +5.6 and Joe -3.2. I'm sure that's what you were looking for and you won't dismiss it now.
makes sense. When Joe was in with the subs in the first half they had a long scoring drought.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
That's because Connor throws the ball to Garza, while Joe misses his shot and hopes Garza gets the rebound. It's a bold strategy.
Iowa is prolly the only team in the country that would start Connor in front of Joe absent another option at PG.

If they want to get to another level this year it would require more Joe, more Murray and more Patrick and less bohannon and Connor.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
Anyhow, I’ve said it a few times now. I don’t think Joe is bad. He’s a fine college player. He’s just overrated by some fans solely because they’re tired of bohannon.
I wouldn’t even call him a fine college player, and yet want to see more of him.

Reaction score
Iowa scored 1.2 points per possession last night. They just gave up 1.3. It was their worst game of the season by far on D, mostly because of fouls.
The last 5:40 they gave up 29 points on 13 possessions by my quick count. Nothing but free throws and 3's. So they were around 1.12 the first 39 minutes. Still not good but not the awful it ended up.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
I'm just giving you shit, NLP. I like Toussaint and I'm glad he can get to the hoop, I just don't think dismissing what Connor brings to the table makes your point better.
I think Connor is a good role player but with bohannon not being able to add anything, its a deadly combo. If bohannon is shooting well, it makes up for a couple deficiencies.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
he's slow, no matter who he's matched up on. Garza is slow, but he has to play. when you have Garza, bohannon and Connor in together, it's going to be real hard to match up with anyone on the defensive end.
connor is absolutely not slow when matching up with opposing 3’s and 4’s. And he’s physical enough to do a decent job on guards.

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
Doug hasn’t posted since last night. He probably needs a hug.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I know Fran isn't big on defense, and I've kind of learned to live with that. But my God, when it came to crunch time we let a shit team like Minnefuckingsota score 20 fucking points in overtime. Elite teams don't do that. Elite teams lose games for sure, but they don't lose by letting mediocre opponents go on 20 point scoring sprees in a 5 minute overtime. Think about that - that's 20 points in 5 minutes when the game was on the line. For anyone who gives a shit, that kind of scoring would yield 160 points in a 40 minute game.

I think this year's Iowa team will definitely make the Sweet 16, but those of us who think they'll win the Big 10 and make the Final Four or even the Elite Eight in the NCAAs are deluding themselves. If this team played good defense, they'd be a shoo-in for at least the Final Four. But the way things stand right now, and especially after that dismal defensive performance last night, I just don't see that happening.
I mean, who has called this team elite? I think we are all excited about the potential in the tournament, but I’m not sure I’ve heard anyone say that. I mean unless you blaming people who vote in the polls.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
I mean, who has called this team elite? I think we are all excited about the potential in the tournament, but I’m not sure I’ve heard anyone say that. I mean unless you blaming people who vote in the polls.
You don't think anyone on this board was considering Iowa an elite team this year? Really?

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Iowa is prolly the only team in the country that would start Connor in front of Joe absent another option at PG.

If they want to get to another level this year it would require more Joe, more Murray and more Patrick and less bohannon and Connor.
what?

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Now we’re splitting semantic hairs on the definition of “elite”. Do I think they can make the final 4? Sure. Do I consider it likely? Not really.

But I mean that’s a really hard thing to do - even if you think your team legitimately is one of the four best.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
Granted, not many teams are going to be able to contain Garza and Weiskamp, but if you do, there's not much past CJ.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
There aren’t many teams where this type of statement wouldn’t be true.
True -- but most 4th and 5th options for well-ranked teams bring more than Connor and bohannon are bringing now. Then there's black hole Nunge, jumperless Toussaint, garbage guy Murray, and Patrick.

So you're not just talking a dropoff after the 3rd option, you're talking a huge dropoff. We'll see if one of the Freshmen steps up, or if JBo gets his groove back. But right now, this is a round of 32, maybe sweet 16 team.

shoot-the-three

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Last night's game sucked and yes Iowa's defense is generally bad. It reminds me of some of Dr Tom's teams, no lead is safe and no deficit is insurmountable. The defense looks better when Jbo and Garza aren't on the floor but Iowa is going to need their offense if they are going to make a run in the tournament.

I think bohannon will be fine if/when he gets his confidence back. Iowa needs to see the cocky I know I am the best shooter in the building Jbo if they are going to contend for a conference title. Joe T is a nice change of pace compliment who has played well so far this season. I would like to see Joe T and Jbo on the court together for stretches with Garza, Joe W, and Fredrick. They would probably have to play zone defense but with Garza and Jbo on the floor together deufense is going to struggle.

This won't be Iowa's last loss this year that drives fans crazy. They have a lot of good pieces (Patrick, Murray, and even Nunge) but not sure Fran can make it work. It seems like everyone on the team has a green light?

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
The Big Ten is so good this year. Iowa is still the #5 team at Kenpom this morning and is still projected to finish 18-9, 12-8.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
I’m still pissed about the loss, but some of you dudes need to get a grip. There’s plenty of room between undefeated/natty and bubble team. The conference champs chances took a bit of a hit last night but it’s still way early and a lot can happen. bohannon finds his stroke again and this team levels up.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
True -- but most 4th and 5th options for well-ranked teams bring more than Connor and bohannon are bringing now. Then there's black hole Nunge, jumperless Toussaint, garbage guy Murray, and Patrick.

So you're not just talking a dropoff after the 3rd option, you're talking a huge dropoff. We'll see if one of the Freshmen steps up, or if JBo gets his groove back. But right now, this is a round of 32, maybe sweet 16 team.
JFC, you probably couldn't name a 4th, 5th or 6th option for any other top 10 team.

• Black hole Nunge has gone for 18 but obviously needs to clean up his shot selection.
  • Toussaint can penetrate and plays great D despite getting killed for what he did last night.
  • Garbage Guy Murray? LOL Yes he plays within himself with great effort but he can also spot up and finish around the rim.
Your expectations are ridiculous. Do you watch college basketball outside of Iowa?

Reaction score
They scored 1.23 points per possession on the road, against a top 50 team and defense entering last night. On a night where Luka was 11-27, Joe was 3-13 and they were 10-30 from 3.

They scored 88 on the #1 team in the country when they were 4-22 from 3 and 14-26 from the line.

They're the 4th best turnover team in the country, 18th best offensive rebounding team in the country and 38th best shooting team in the country with some guys underperforming their norms. And they have the best offensive player in the country. But if you take away all of that....

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
While I think we are still a good team and going to be a good team this year, if I were being honest my excitement for this team has waned a bit.

I know winning on the road is tough, but Minnesota really isn't very good this year. Should have got that one.