**Iowa vs. Penn State Basketball - 1/4/19 - 1pm - BTN**

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm sure that Cordell is a good young man in all other walks of life, but lord almighty is he just a huge net negative on the court this season.

I know the roster is very thin, so Coach Fran has to give him some minutes to let others get some air (or dealing with foul trouble), but CP's a big liability on both ends of the floor.
But have to give him this - CP got a couple nice D rebounds at kinda key moments around the 15-12 minute stretch in the 2nd half.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
Great game by Garza, except at the free throw line. Unfortunately that was the difference in the game.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Good game. Too bad Garza ran out of gas.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Missed too many shots. I know they were short-handed and tired but what the fuck were we trying to do on defense at the end of the game?

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
They fought like crazy. This team doesn’t quit.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Fuck. Would have been a huge win. Not having Fredrick hurt. Can’t fault Garza for anything. Sure he missed free throws but that wasn’t a game if not for him.

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
That was disappointing as hell. Fuck.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Iowa simply ran out of gas. There was also multiple blatant fucking terrible calls. Gave Penn State 2 points on a continuation that wouldn't have been allowed in the NBA and then let the same player get away with a blatant 4 step travel a few plays later. Connor got fucking hammered as well and was a no call right at the end that would have been to tie the game.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
How many timeouts did fran take home? Two? I wish he would have at least used one during the scramble resulting in the hail Kriener.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Hopefully no more games in a sauna.

Last edited:

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Let’s be honest, while that shot from Kriener was in the air, everyone had a brief moment where you thought it was going in. I did. I was ready to celebrate.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
So fucking tired of (nearly) always "just came up a little short" vs PSU in Pennsylvania - no matter the circumstances or game flow!

And also, fuck Stevens and his 23 fucking years of eligibility and of course the refs making sure he didn't get his 5th foul as a home team SR and he helps pull off the win for those bastards.

Reaction score
Just so thin right now. You lose CJ and you're relying on Toussaint, Connor, Kriener, Bakari to be your 3rd-4th scorer. They played tough, ran out of gas.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
How many timeouts did fran take home? Two? I wish he would have at least used one during the scramble resulting in the hail Kriener.
I'm not sure letting a scrambled defense set up would help. 14 seconds left when he shot.

Reaction score
Toussaint ended up with 18 somehow. 5 came in the last 10 seconds but still, encouraging.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Tough to complain much. Kids played with heart. They’ll smoke this team at carver.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Pemsl is such a fucking moron. He threw the ball away at least 3 times and instead of a layup from 1 foot with nobody around him he decides he is going to kick it out for 3 to the opposite side.

I hate him.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Iowa has to stop with the live ball turnovers though. They give up too many easy points that way and get very few of their own. The killer was the one when they were up 6 and Pemsl started driving towards the hoop only to throw a pass directly to a Penn State guy the ended up 2 points for them.

And I’ll be fair to Pemsl, it’s pretty obvious the guy is playing at about 60%. He can barely run without looking like a 60 year old.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Toussaint ended up with 18 somehow. 5 came in the last 10 seconds but still, encouraging.
Much more under control today. Still a little loose with some passes but still love his game.

Reaction score
We scored 86 points and only 5 guys scored. 34 from Luka, 23 from Joe, 18 from Toussaint, 8 from Kriener and 3 from Connor.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Iowa lost by 3 on the road in difficult conditions while losing yet another starter and getting absolutely nothing from Connor / Pemsl / Bakari

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Not enough scorers/shooters with CJ out. Good effort from the guys who were healthy.

I don't think those refs know what a travel is however.

Reaction score
Iowa has to stop with the live ball turnovers though. They give up too many easy points that way and get very few of their own. The killer was the one when they were up 6 and Pemsl started driving towards the hoop only to throw a pass directly to a Penn State guy the ended up 2 points for them.

And I’ll be fair to Pemsl, it’s pretty obvious the guy is playing at about 60%. He can barely run without looking like a 60 year old.
Really miss bohannon in that regard. Having a low turnover guy with the ball that much. Toussaint had 3 but given the circumstances it was a better day for him.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Fredrick needs to get healthy instantly. They play every 3 days or so from here on out.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
It’s weird to say postgame but Garza needed more touches.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I also hope that when Wieskamp watches this game that he finally realizes that his step back long 2's are garbage and he should never shoot one again. The only path for him is going strong to the hoop if he isn't shooting a three. Even when he misses going strong it usually is a rebound and score for Garza.

Reaction score
Bakari with a phantom foul on a tip out rebound (around five minute mark?) while we were up six was a momentum swing and of course PSU hit a big shot and it was never the same.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Iowa is a tough team but I think this is a bit of a preview for a lot of Giant Douche games.

douglasbader

Reaction score
It’s weird to say postgame but Garza needed more touches.
I thought late in the 2nd half they should have run a mid-90's NBA offense for him and cleared out completely and let him operate in the post 1 on 1.

Nobody can stop him this year.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Till brings more to the table than Pemsl right now. Fran needs to give those garbage minutes to Riley.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Why anyone would want to play in that 'palace' is beyond me - aside from the "history".

All that heat, humidity, and sweaty slippage is just asking for all kinds of leg/knee/ankle/foot maladies. Iowa dodged a ballistic missile when JoeW only got a slight case of floor burn instead of an actual injury when he had that major wipeout in the first half. (same goes for Watkins of PSU, he wiped out just before JoeW did)

douglasbader

Reaction score
Iowa is a tough team but I think this is a bit of a preview for a lot of Giant Douche games.
If this game was in Iowa City they win going away. Road games are going to be a bitch in the Big Ten this year.

Reaction score
I also hope that when Wieskamp watches this game that he finally realizes that his step back long 2's are garbage and he should never shoot one again. The only path for him is going strong to the hoop if he isn't shooting a three. Even when he misses going strong it usually is a rebound and score for Garza.
Yeah he simply has to attack and get to the line more. Today we had 20 FTA, 14 from Luka, 4 from Toussaint, 2 from Joe. Only 31 attempts in 14 games this year. Lowest free throw rate of anyone in the rotation right now.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Yeah he simply has to attack and get to the line more. Today we had 20 FTA, 14 from Luka, 4 from Toussaint, 2 from Joe. Only 31 attempts in 14 games this year. Lowest free throw rate of anyone in the rotation right now.
Joe needs to be shooting 8 free throws per game. He is too fucking good to take dumb shots.

Bovert

Fat ISU Fan
Reaction score
Why anyone would want to play in that 'palace' is beyond me - aside from the "history".

All that heat, humidity, and sweaty slippage is just asking for all kinds of leg/knee/ankle/foot maladies. Iowa dodged a ballistic missile when JoeW only got a slight case of floor burn instead of an actual injury when he had that major wipeout in the first half. (same goes for Watkins of PSU, he wiped out just before JoeW did)
Um, Watkins tripped over Garza's foot/leg and then Joe slipped in Watkins sweat path that he left when he slid across the floor. Neither of those were due to a slick floor from heat/humidity

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
So you lose a close neutral away game and immediately blame the refs, the location/temperature, and the other team’s coach cheats...

Maybe the Cyclone Fanatic version of Geese should start cutting and pasting quotes from here back to there to make fun of “Iowa Fan”

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
So fucking tired of (nearly) always "just came up a little short" vs PSU in Pennsylvania - no matter the circumstances or game flow!

And also, fuck Stevens and his 23 fucking years of eligibility and of course the refs making sure he didn't get his 5th foul as a home team SR and he helps pull off the win for those bastards.
we won there last year.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
So you lose a close neutral away game and immediately blame the refs, the location/temperature, and the other team’s coach cheats...

Maybe the Cyclone Fanatic version of Geese should start cutting and pasting quotes from here back to there to make fun of “Iowa Fan”
Did you watch the game?

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score

I haven’t seen a single person blame the loss on the refs or the location/temperature you dumb motherfucker.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score

So you get your ass kicked at home to Iowa and don’t have anyone to blame, but your pathetic self and those associated with Iowa State.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Yep. Most of it. The refs and temperature was the same for both teams. The bitchy whining is hypocritical.

Losing down the stretch at a ranked conference opponent happens. Some times the other team is better and get some breaks. Iowa wasn’t going undefeated. Was a good game and above all got Joe T some big time experience for future close games.