**Iowa vs. Syracuse Basketball - 12/3/19 - 6pm - ESPN2**

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I'm happy knowing this entire team will be back next year.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
If we crush Iowa State next week, I will consider this season a success irregardless of the results of the games that follow

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
If we crush Iowa State next week, I will consider this season a success irregardless of the results of the games that follow
While I would love to see that, I wouldn't consider the result of the ISU game as the be-all, end-all result for any season.

The B10 season is always much more important.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
Connor has been hitting some shots and is gaining confidence. I don’t hate him right now.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
Jesus fucking Christ you’re a doctor for fucks sake.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
Fuckin hawks, man. Every time I bet against them I get what's coming to me.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Connor has been hitting some shots and is gaining confidence. I don’t hate him right now.
This is where I’m at right now and I may be the most anti-Connor person here over the last year.

That was a nice win.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
This is where I’m at right now and I may be the most anti-Connor person here over the last year.

That was a nice win.
LOL, you fucking retards. You don't hate a guy that's been great offensively and defensively? Connor has been really good. He's a great rebounder and has great hands defensively. He is doing everything well.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score

That was a nice win.
LOL, you fucking retards. You don't hate a guy that's been great offensively and defensively? Connor has been really good. He's a great rebounder and has great hands defensively. He is doing everything well.
Putting him at the top of the key was a huge decision. He was pretty good there.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score

That was a nice win.
He has been good and I admitted that last week but I’ve bitched about him for two years so I’m eating a little crow right now and I’m ok with that.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Joe W. still looks like he's in a fog sometimes. Didn't play bad but really passive again at times with some bad decisions late in the shot clock. That sequence where he and Joe T. had fast breaks almost back to back were telling. Wieskamp was driving on a smaller guy and kind of faded away from 5 feet. Toussaint attacked the rim right at and over size.

Till gave a nice boost with some offensive boards. For a guy who hadn't played at all recently, he wasn't a negative at all.
Agree re: Joe W, but he also had a few steals and timely offensive rebounds. Had a fairly decent all-around game, imo.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
There’s some teams where playing small will hurt us, but dammit I’m loving watching it right now. Connor may have found his niche playing in 3/4 guard lineups. Helps a ton that his shot is falling, obviously. But he can hold his own bodying bigs and rebounding on the defensive end.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
There’s some teams where playing small will hurt us, but dammit I’m loving watching it right now. Connor may have found his niche playing in 3/4 guard lineups. Helps a ton that his shot is falling, obviously. But he can hold his own bodying bigs and rebounding on the defensive end.
It’s still a pretty ugly shot but would be nice if he could become a consistent threat from three

Last year he basically just dribbled in place. This year the ball moves much better. Maybe that’s a result of playing with more guards rather than trying to feed cook all the time

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Connor is getting a ton of deflections and strips when the other guys aren’t strong with the ball as well.

If he can actually maintain a 30% or so 3pt% it will be huge. Garza and CJ aren’t gonna shoot 50%+ all year, but joe will end up closer to 40%

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I really hope bohannon says fuck it and plays this year. With the roster where it's at I think he'll get more open looks when we go small and I don't see Fran sticking with that next year when Nunge comes back. Nunge should be the backup center next year if Fran is smart.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I really think the fewer guys Fran has available the better he coaches.

It also really helps when he’s not trying to play a traditional lineup of 2 bigs. Garza has tons of room to operate now that Cooks gone. He’s not setting a million picks up top. The 4 guys on the floor with him can all handle the ball and Garza is quick to get into his offense. It seemed too often last year there would be a post feed to Cook, he would hold the ball for a couple seconds while everyone got into their position and a double team would come.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I really hope bohannon says fuck it and plays this year. With the roster where it's at I think he'll get more open looks when we go small and I don't see Fran sticking with that next year when Nunge comes back. Nunge should be the backup center next year if Fran is smart.
I understand why they want to shut bohannon down, but the guy played 80% of the game tonight. If it’s that bad how is he playing all these minutes?

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
I really think the fewer guys Fran has available the better he coaches.

It also really helps when he’s not trying to play a traditional lineup of 2 bigs. Garza has tons of room to operate now that Cooks gone. He’s not setting a million picks up top. The 4 guys on the floor with him can all handle the ball and Garza is quick to get into his offense. It seemed too often last year there would be a post feed to Cook, he would hold the ball for a couple seconds while everyone got into their position and a double team would come.
Completely agree on all points.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
There can’t be anyone in the country that puts as much effort into his game than Luka. He’s an absolute stud and continues to get better.
As good as he has been offensively the transformation defensively is more impressive to me. He was one of the worst defensive players I had ever seen last year. He turned himself into a serviceable player. It helps that we're better on the perimeter and he doesn't have to repeatedly try to rotate towards a player that is blowing by Cook or Baer.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
That might be a bad Cuse team but you don't just waltz into the house that Jason Manson built and routinely win by 14.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
There can’t be anyone in the country that puts as much effort into his game than Luka. He’s an absolute stud and continues to get better.
As good as he has been offensively the transformation defensively is more impressive to me. He was one of the worst defensive players I had ever seen last year. He turned himself into a serviceable player. It helps that we're better on the perimeter and he doesn't have to repeatedly try to rotate towards a player that is blowing by Cook or Baer.
Agree completely.

The guards are definitely helping too though. Jordan has really improved his defense too.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Ol Joe T will hit you in the nose with ball if you're not paying attention. He's gonna be special. The defensive effort seems way better to me solely based on the fact that they seem to be fouling more.

Syracuse sucks. I overreacted like a faggot after the DePaul game.

foxhawks

Doesn't wash his butthole last
Reaction score
Ol Joe T will hit you in the nose with ball if you're not paying attention. He's gonna be special. The defensive effort seems way better to me solely based on the fact that they seem to be fouling more.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Agree completely.

The guards are definitely helping too though. Jordan has really improved his defense too.
His improved defense is entirely based on the fact that he is rarely guarding the other teams pg.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Jordan’s defense is not better. It’s way worse, he’s just being hidden with better defenders around him.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Connor got better? Huh.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Very happy with the win tonight. Probably a Q2 win unless Syracuse gets their shit together. It’s great to have some players with some big ol’ clangers unlike those on past Fran coaches teams. Could be looking at a March situation as long everyone can stay healthy.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

I was surprised Joe T didn't play more. Especially with Frederick out.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score

he'll start playing a lot after the ISU game, and the guard rotation shrinks down to cj, connor, joe t, and bakari.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
- This team has somehow become a joy to watch. I didn’t see that coming.

- I completely agree with the comment that Fran is a better coach when he has fewer available pieces. Had Pemsl been available last night he would have gotten 10 minutes, meaning 10 minutes less of the 3 guard + Joe W lineup that was so effective.

- Watching Joe T play defense is a treat. The SOB is going to end up as one of my all-time favorite Hawks.

- Connor is proving a lot of people wrong. He was great last night. His assist/TO ratio is legit (unlike Gesell), as he takes plenty of risks with the ball.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score

He would have played plenty if he hadn't had a couple dumb freshman type fouls. Just getting a little over aggressive. He was playing great.