**Iowa vs. Wisconsin Basketball Thread - 1/6/22 - 8:00pm - FS1**

Floyd R

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
It's year 12(?) of Fran and some fans are still shocked by how bad Iowa's defenses are. Fran could've hired a defensive coach when Andrew Francis left but Fran backfilled it with his buddy Billy Taylor so I don't think that's ever happening.
I am thankful Fran brought Iowa out of the cellar and back to being a respectable opponent. I think that's Iowa's ceiling and they won't be able to progress much further with the current coaching philosophy. You can't win too many ball games in March with a 75+ AdjD.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
what is most maddening is that his Siena teams were ok defensively.
Disagree. What's most maddening is that there are plenty of kids on this team (for a change) that have the physical tools to play good, disruptive defense - and it frankly should've been their identity. Press, trap, get in passing lanes and create runouts.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
what is most maddening is that his Siena teams were ok defensively.
The Woodbury teams were good at defense despite Fran telling Woody to hedge every screen 85 feet from the basket.

They’re just so bad at closing out in players. They overplay everything on the perimeter and are easily beat off the dribble or susceptible to easy back cuts.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
The Woodbury teams were good at defense despite Fran telling Woody to hedge every screen 85 feet from the basket.

They’re just so bad at closing out in players. They overplay everything on the perimeter and are easily beat off the dribble or susceptible to easy back cuts.
That is what I am not understanding, and I'm sure it's just being ignorant. But for fucks sake this seems pretty god damned obvious what the trouble is, and stopping doing those things isn't that hard. Don't fly out there like a psycho, don't overplay like a dipshit, your defense just improved like 50 spots.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
They're all a bunch of soft pussies. End of story. Fucking Patrick yucking it up with Davis during foul shots when they're down 20 FUCKING POINTS and Davis is going in raw every other possession, is case in point.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Also, not overplaying everywhere naturally puts you in better position to rebound too...and getting a fucking rebound more than once every four opportunities would be great. And if Connor would like to not be worthless, he needs to get WAY dirtier when playing.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
They're all a bunch of soft pussies. End of story. Fucking Patrick yucking it up with Davis during foul shots when they're down 20 FUCKING POINTS and Davis is going in raw every other possession, is case in point.
that guy butt fucked Iowa up and down the court and everyone just took it with a smile. What fucking cowards.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Josh O needs to play more and possibly Mulvey as well although not much.

Connor is totally useless on this team and should not play at all. Go with the quicker athletic perimeter guys to at least give you quickness out front. Perkins, Ulis, Joe T, and bohannon for shooting purposes. More Kris while we are it and less Pat.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
I do feel sorry for Fran because I do think Margaret involves herself more than she should.

"You know it's more than scoring, Fran. Connor is like a general on the floor."

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I talked about this a bit on the football board as well, but situations like this are why nepotism is always tough. I don't want to imply that the McCaffery boys shouldn't have been at Iowa - they were both reasonably ranked as recruits that if they weren't his sons we wouldn't have questioned them getting scholarships.

But now that they're here, it just makes everything tougher. Not that people still wouldn't be criticizing a 5th year player that performs like Connor, but the fact that he's the coach's son puts a really negative/mean tint on everything.

Again, it's like the stuff with Brian - it's a nice story when everything works out well, but when things don't, they get ugly really fast.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
Someone should have told bohannon that the game started at 8 PM Central - 9 Eastern.

CUIHAWK

Loves the clock
Reaction score
Patrick appears to be afraid of his own shadow when he drives in the lane. He also appears lost on defense the majority of the time.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Patrick appears to be afraid of his own shadow when he drives in the lane. He also appears lost on defense the majority of the time.
I have said this before, but Patrick spent most of his life being impossibly skinny. He’s only just now getting to what I would consider a minimum size to be a good small forward in the Big Ten. He will hopefully adjust his playing style as he gets used to it.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
All of this is just noise distracting from the glaring reality. Nearly every other team that is worth a shit plays a heavy rotation of 7-8 guys and that is it. They mix 2-3 guys with a couple of the starters and roll with it. If any more play, they are getting garbage or emergency spot minutes.

Fran is trying to give 10-11 guys minutes, and unfortunately not only is that the wrong move but he is giving the wrong guys the majority of the minutes.

He's playing Connor and bohannon at the expense of his much more talented and defensively able sophomores.

That's the story about this season so far.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
All of this is just noise distracting from the glaring reality. Nearly every other team that is worth a shit plays a heavy rotation of 7-8 guys and that is it. They mix 2-3 guys with a couple of the starters and roll with it. If any more play, they are getting garbage or emergency spot minutes.

Fran is trying to give 10-11 guys minutes, and unfortunately not only is that the wrong move but he is giving the wrong guys the majority of the minutes.

He's playing Connor and bohannon at the expense of his much more talented and defensively able sophomores.

That's the story about this season so far.
who could have seen that coming?

it’s just part of having Fran as a coach.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Change the starting lineup. Ulis / Perkins / Murray / Murray / Rebracca. Then bring in Toussaint and Patrick. If the matchups dictate, decide if either bohannon or Sandfart plays. If you have a giant team, play Josh O some minutes.

That's it, and if they do that they fix most of the issues.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Of course none of this will ever happen, because see Fran when he was screamed at to sit senior Zach McCabe the fuck down he instead doubled down and went all in on him and semi-tanked that season.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I don't want to spoil the surprise, but that isn't going to happen.

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Joe T / Ulis / Perkins / Murray / Murray

Rebraca is fake size and the source of most of our rebounding problems. That guy is on the wrong side of a box out 99% of the time and sucks on defense. The above lineup would be feisty.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
There are games where bohannon should play but it’s usually clear by the first tv timeout whether he will be effective. If a big ten defense keys in on him he doesn’t have the athleticism to overcome it. Fran doesn’t seem to comprehend that.

I’ve always appreciated CMac but at this point he brings nothing. Broken body, broken shot, and taking time away from younger, more athletic guys. Give his minutes to Josh O and Kris and let him serve the role he should be in….grad assistant.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Change the starting lineup. Ulis / Perkins / Murray / Murray / Rebracca. Then bring in Toussaint and Patrick. If the matchups dictate, decide if either bohannon or Sandfart plays. If you have a giant team, play Josh O some minutes.

With the limited number of shot makers on this team, bohannon has a role sometimes and should be given that opportunity every game. But Fran has to realize early on when it isn’t going to be a bohannon game. He won’t of course.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
It bothers me to no end that Patrick averaged 24 minutes per game and has nine total fouls, four of which came last night.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score

It should fix some of the D and effort, I hope. They are still limited offensively due to a lack of consistent perimeter shooter. It might be a start if they play hard.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score