Jon Miller

Reaction score
Believe it or not, Coker is quicker laterally..He was injured early on and out of shape last year, but came on towards the middle/end of the season...He only ran for 1300+ yards last year..JFC some of you are stupid. Weisman is a nice story, but he's a fullback that performed admirably at RB when he could..He's straight line quick, but he's not going to be very effective in the stretch and wasn't any more of a hammer than Coker was. Weisman was very effective running behind Scherff and Tobin, but Scherff is gone for the season now.

People forget that Coker should have been a RS FR last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJVDYgd8e_M

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Coker sucked.

He was slow and ran upright on all but one play against Missouri.

He had no ability to cut back and seemed to stroll to the line of scrimmage while wandering to the hole.

Marcus Coker fucking sucked.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Greenway also got it 16 times, which is also embarassing. Doesn't mean you're not a good football player, just to be clear. (I'm referring to Greenway, not Herman here)

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
And Chad got it for 19 on his Pro Day, which was more respectable.

Reaction score
Greenway did 16 reps at the combine.

What a pussy, I can do that. The problem is that I cant run 4.60 forty or cover a slot receiver 60 yards down field.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Both Coker and Weisman got their yards running behind good Olines. Coker improved his conditioning half way through the year but it was obvious he lacked any kind of burst. I don't think either guys are world beaters...neither are close to NFL talents. I just think Weisman is quick enough off the snap to be more effective in our run game.

Anyone who has watched both of them and says Coker is without a doubt the better back is blinded by star rankings.

As much as I'm starting to question Doyles strength program, the bench press means absolutely shit when it comes to football. This has been hashed over numerous times, but a player could never attempt an actual bench press once in his entire college career and not be worse for wear. There are most effective ways to improve chest strength in a manner that is useful to the game of football.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Greenway did 16 reps at the combine.

What a pussy, I can do that. The problem is that I cant run 4.60 forty or cover a slot receiver 60 yards down field.
Sincerely,

short armed non "Guy LIke Us" benchpress boy

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Reaction score
Sincerely,

short armed non "Guy LIke Us" benchpress boy
I'm not following you here. I was defending Greenway, the pussy comment was sarcasm.
so you can't do 16? ;)

I think 16 is impressive.
Oh I can do 16, however I can't do anything else remotely as well as Greenway can. Anyone who spends some time in the gym can get a decent 225 rep count. There are several other physical skills, no matter how hard one trains, that are essentially God given. My point is that bench press numbers for NFLers are pointless.

I do put some stock in the long armed being at a bench press disadvantage. Being 6'4", I often use that excuse when lifting with some of my meat head friends.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
Both Coker and Weisman got their yards running behind good Olines. Coker improved his conditioning half way through the year but it was obvious he lacked any kind of burst. I don't think either guys are world beaters...neither are close to NFL talents. I just think Weisman is quick enough off the snap to be more effective in our run game.

Anyone who has watched both of them and says Coker is without a doubt the better back is blinded by star rankings.

As much as I'm starting to question Doyles strength program, the bench press means absolutely shit when it comes to football. This has been hashed over numerous times, but a player could never attempt an actual bench press once in his entire college career and not be worse for wear. There are most effective ways to improve chest strength in a manner that is useful to the game of football.
I think this argument is lame. Bench press still shows how strong you are. People who say bench press doesn't mean shit are wrong. Bench improves overall strength which is needed in football. I would argue that DL and OL do the bench press motion when pushing off of one another as well.

Reaction score

I think this argument is lame. Bench press still shows how strong you are. People who say bench press doesn't mean shit are wrong. Bench improves overall strength which is needed in football. I would argue that DL and OL do the bench press motion when pushing off of one another as well.
Once a player hits a threshold it doesn't mean shit. If a safety could only do 5-6, yes that is a problem, however I don't give two shits as a GM if a guys does 22 or 32.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
I'm not following you here. I was defending Greenway, the pussy comment was sarcasm.
so you can't do 16? ;)

I think 16 is impressive.
Oh I can do 16, however I can't do anything else remotely as well as Greenway can. Anyone who spends some time in the gym can get a decent 225 rep count. There are several other physical skills, no matter how hard one trains, that are essentially God given. My point is that bench press numbers for NFLers are pointless.

I do put some stock in the long armed being at a bench press disadvantage. Being 6'4", I often use that excuse when lifting with some of my meat head friends.
agreed

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score

As a basic measure of strength? Sure...fine, I'll give you that. That's about it. If a guy can do a handful of reps at 225 he's not a complete pansy. It still has little to no bearing on his ability as a football player. I'm including positions such as offensive and defensive linemen. Focusing on explosive training will naturally give you some ability with a bench press, however I know some powerful dudes who would look less than impressive in a bench competition.

The whole idea of it is a relic from old men in tight coaching shorts (no offense to 3/4ths of the board) who were power lifting stiffs from the 80's.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Anyone else think that Coker got slower & less explosive after 2010, when he looked like the real deal in games against OSU & Missouri.

Maybe he wasn't healthy, maybe we give our primary RB too many carries...but he looked slow & plodding last year.
+1

Reaction score
I continue to be stupefied how Miller retains such a following. He has 13.5k twitter followers. Kakert has about 8k. Even morehouse only has 11k. WTF?]

Fucking Fred Hoiberg only has 15k followers.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Its because for years Miller was originally the guy for hawkeyesports message boards and recruiting stuff. Over the years he has proven to be a hack and a not very good reporter but he does have a loyal following.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
You can tell Miller is getting more Iowa sports ignorant by the day. He is clueless on many things even the casual followers of message boards are aware of and always late on posting news and info.

My guess is he sees the writing on the wall and will be out of the full-time Iowa message board gig. I see a nice career as an insurance agent in his future while still keeping the post-game radio spot.

It would be nice if he actually made an effort to watch the games though if he is going to keep that job.

Mr. Hawk

Traitorous Cunt / Just a smarter NLP
Reaction score
Jon, are you going to take that @#%@ from doug?

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
Remember when Miller and Deace slept together in the WHO studio during that big snowstorm? Good times.

#fruitloop #fatass

Reaction score
I guess the positive spin is that a deplorable washed up media personality for Iowa has nearly as many followers as Isu's beloved basketball coach. I may start following Miller again and try to rally the cause for him to pass Hoiberg.

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
I guess the positive spin is that a deplorable washed up media personality for Iowa has nearly as many followers as Isu's beloved basketball coach. I may start following Miller again and try to rally the cause for him to pass Hoiberg.
Kinda true.

Reaction score
You can tell Miller is getting more Iowa sports ignorant by the day. He is clueless on many things even the casual followers of message boards are aware of and always late on posting news and info.
I don't think anyone is later posting news and info on Twitter than HawkeyeReport. Something will break on twitter with all of the beat guys and various sites and 90% of the time the HawkeyeReport account will post the initial news hours later.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is later posting news and info on Twitter than HawkeyeReport. Something will break on twitter with all of the beat guys and various sites and 90% of the time the HawkeyeReport account will post the initial news hours later.
I have been saying this for a long time. Kakert and Miller have slipped tremendously. Howe has as well but at least he pulls something out of his ass every once in a while. The guy from 24/7 is the one I see breaking news and recruits most often.

The guys putting in the actual work and doing the most either don't really get paid (Blair) or new (Worly).

mac50702

SuperUrkel
Reaction score
I have been saying this for a long time. Kakert and Miller have slipped tremendously. Howe has as well but at least he pulls something out of his ass every once in a while. The guy from 24/7 is the one I see breaking news and recruits most often.

The guys putting in the actual work and doing the most either don't really get paid (Blair) or new (Worly).
The funny thing about this, Worly isn't even an Iowa fan.

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
Jon Miller goes completely Jon Miller in this podcast:

http://hawkeyenation.com/football/hn-podcast-trying-find-perspective

I've only listened to the first 13 minutes, so I don't know where he's going to end up, or what his point is, but so far, but it's been one big eyeroll. I thought it might be interesting because he was pretty critical of KF after 2014, but there is nothing more JonMiller than this. It seems like it's going to end with him inviting KF down to Oklahoma after the season for a week of blowjobs.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
It continued to be a self-important pile of shit throughout.

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
"I'm not trying to be preachy and I'm totally not telling you what to do, but you should really, really be nice on twitter and not have any expectations that the Hawkeyes can ever have any real success. Maybe also buy some propane. Also, my wife is sick and we're adopting a foster kid and I buried a Jim Zabel Pin in the end zone of the Rose Bowl (!)."

Reaction score
"I'm not trying to be preachy and I'm totally not telling you what to do, but you should really, really be nice on twitter and not have any expectations that the Hawkeyes can ever have any real success. Maybe also buy some propane. Also, my wife is sick and we're adopting a foster kid and I buried a Jim Zabel Pin in the end zone of the Rose Bowl (!)."

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I still blame Jon for how much money I had to pay for Rose Bowl tickets

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
He really wasn't trying to be self-righteous or holier-than-thou.

Reaction score
Jon Miller goes completely Jon Miller in this podcast:

http://hawkeyenation.com/football/hn-podcast-trying-find-perspective

I've only listened to the first 13 minutes, so I don't know where he's going to end up, or what his point is, but so far, but it's been one big eyeroll. I thought it might be interesting because he was pretty critical of KF after 2014, but there is nothing more JonMiller than this. It seems like it's going to end with him inviting KF down to Oklahoma after the season for a week of blowjobs.
I made it about 10-12 minutes before stopping yesterday. It was pretty bad. I like Jon, but he isn't really the guy to do some big perspective thing. (do that many people really struggle with perspective?)