**Lindsey Wilson College vs. Iowa - 11/4/19 - 7pm - BTN+**

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Imagine being a young, somewhat highly recruited kid and showing up on campus to learn basketball from a bright mind of Big Ten basketball, only to spend multiple practices perfecting a pass that is actually an intentional airball.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am way off on this and would like to hear what @HiawathaHawk , @CamelTones and others think, but can't see the offense being less than Top 20 level.

If the defense can be what I think it can be with this group, they should be a lot better than anyone nationally expects.
If bohannon is close to normal, they probably should be. KenPom has them 7th in offense preseason, the defense 101st. For the overall season our three least efficient players were Cook, Moss and Dailey. Dailey didn't have much of an impact with his limited role. Baer will be the tough one for a replacement to match. Nunge won't draw fouls at the rate Cook did but I expect him to be a better offensive player. I didn't see tonight, but good to hear the positives on C.J.

The biggest unknown is Toussaint and Evelyn handling the ball. Worst case scenario offensively is probably bohannon being hurt, those two committing a bunch of turnovers while not shooting well and Pemsl/Kriener getting too many minutes and being the worst versions of themselves.
In what way? Defensively he was all or nothing. It was either a block/steal or a layup for the other team. If Patrick can just stay if front of his guy defensively that is probably a net positive. Offensively Baer was a spot up shooter that couldn't dribble. I don't really see that as something that this team can't replace.
Because he’s talking about offensive efficiency and Baer was extremely efficient on O the last 4 years.

9DF7340C-766E-454F-8215-EC672B67385E.jpeg

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
If bohannon is close to normal, they probably should be. KenPom has them 7th in offense preseason, the defense 101st. For the overall season our three least efficient players were Cook, Moss and Dailey. Dailey didn't have much of an impact with his limited role. Baer will be the tough one for a replacement to match. Nunge won't draw fouls at the rate Cook did but I expect him to be a better offensive player. I didn't see tonight, but good to hear the positives on C.J.

The biggest unknown is Toussaint and Evelyn handling the ball. Worst case scenario offensively is probably bohannon being hurt, those two committing a bunch of turnovers while not shooting well and Pemsl/Kriener getting too many minutes and being the worst versions of themselves.
In what way? Defensively he was all or nothing. It was either a block/steal or a layup for the other team. If Patrick can just stay if front of his guy defensively that is probably a net positive. Offensively Baer was a spot up shooter that couldn't dribble. I don't really see that as something that this team can't replace.
Because he’s talking about offensive efficiency and Baer was extremely efficient on O the last 4 years.

View attachment 15414
Fuck you dork! I'm going to stick with my feelings over your stats. I still say he was a spot up shooter that depended on others to create open looks for him. I'm comfortable with other guys getting those shots.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Ive stayed away from the Evelyn hype because honestly I have no idea what people could have realistically expected from an MVC backup. Once Jordan is done then Connor is clearly the best choice at pg with the personnel we have. Not to say that joe can’t be good but we need a steady facilitator to start the season. Joe will get there, he is clearly quick as shit.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
Assuming good health and eligibility, CJ and JoeT are going to be the leaders of the team (beyond just the stats) in a year or two. I don't know if Patrick is cut out for leadership (not saying he isn't), but he will certainly be one of the best players on the team not later than his sophomore season.

Hopefully JoeW can be a team leader beyond stats this season.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
Not saying he's anywhere close to what they were as upperclassmen, but Patrick has some characteristics similar to Keith Van Vorn and Gordon Hayward as college players.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
Patrick is going to be great. Watching tonight even against a team like they played... he’d do himself well with a red shirt to bulk up. He’s going to get beaten up against real teams.

Reaction score

View attachment 15414
Fuck you dork! I'm going to stick with my feelings over your stats. I still say he was a spot up shooter that depended on others to create open looks for him. I'm comfortable with other guys getting those shots.
Of course he depended on others to create for him. He still needed to take and make them. He shot 38% from 3 (while attempting more than Moss), 54% from 2, had the lowest turnover rate on the team was and was the 2nd best rebounder per 40 and by percentage.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
Patrick might well gain some quality weight this year -- simply by maturing. He gained a good bit this summer.

Maybe Moss transferred because CJ was getting more praise in practice and he saw that this redshirt freshman was going to eat into his minutes (by playing decent defense and not doing stupid shit).

Last edited:

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Let's not overthink the Moss decision, I know he certainly didn't.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
You know -- and from whence this degree of certainty?

Note my use of maybe.

Now get over it.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Joe T is quick as advertised, but he was out of control last night. He isn’t ready to run the offense quite yet, but he and Evelyn were playing some good defense. There was a sequence in the first half where those two alone basically caused a shot clock violation.

I’m feeling it move thinking about bohannon, Wieskamp and CJ from the 3 point line this season. There are going to be some games like the Illinois game last season where we just bury teams with our shooting.

Thought Patrick looked really good running the floor on the break and he will be an exciting player to watch.

All in all, as Doug stated, seems like Kriener is going to be the frustrating player this season. Hopefully with Pemsl back and Nunge/Garza, he won’t have to see the floor as often (but let’s not get our hopes up).

Trying to remain calm about last night considering it was an awful team that they played. But it was like when you watch the NBA Summer League. There are some things to overlook, but there are things that translate like when someone is quick, someone has a great shot, someone plays hard D, etc.

Iowa looked pretty damn good last night and I’m very pumped for the season.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
The whole CJ thing reminds me of White's first game. Against a crappy team, but we all could see right away that the dude was for real.

He'll have his ups and downs, but he's definitely not an Oglesby/Ellingson reboot.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
The other good sign about Fredrick is how the other players talk about him last night as if they are happy that everyone now gets to see what they have been seeing for a year.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I said it a few times in chat, but the best talent on the floor last night was the sideline reporter guy. That young dude is way too good for a StudentU production and should have a long career in broadcasting.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I am under the impression that they are a pretty decent NAIA school. A lot of teams at that level are dogshit but there are many that have a bunch of D2 guys or even borderline D1 bench players that simply want to go to college and get playing time. I believe they mentioned that Lindsey Wilson had a couple D1 transfers.

Obviously we played them because of the Fran connection and not their talent level though.

Revolver

Reaction score
For the rest of the month there will be 6 basketball games and 4 football games. Halo wives/girlfriends will never know what hit them.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
For the rest of the month there will be 6 basketball games and 4 football games. Halo wives/girlfriends will never know what hit them.
*7 basketball games. They will play 2 in Vegas.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
I am under the impression that they are a pretty decent NAIA school. A lot of teams at that level are dogshit but there are many that have a bunch of D2 guys or even borderline D1 bench players that simply want to go to college and get playing time. I believe they mentioned that Lindsey Wilson had a couple D1 transfers.

Obviously we played them because of the Fran connection and not their talent level though.
That's the William Penn method. They take anyone and everyone that has been dismissed, transferred, poor grades, or on their 3rd or 4th school. It does not matter as long as you can play basketball.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

View attachment 15414
Of course he depended on others to create for him. He still needed to take and make them. He shot 38% from 3 (while attempting more than Moss), 54% from 2, had the lowest turnover rate on the team was and was the 2nd best rebounder per 40 and by percentage.
Baer's rebounding will be missed the most. This team has a lot of good shooters and if Baer's shots get spread around I think the percentage will be roughly the same.

You say low turnover rate but I say someone who refuses/can't dribble better not turn it over. You replace that with a guy like patrick that is supposedly the best shooter in practice to this point, can run the floor and get easy buckets, can put the ball on the floor, and showed a few post moves last night. I'll take Patrick as not only replacing but being an upgrade.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Joe T is quick as advertised, but he was out of control last night. He isn’t ready to run the offense quite yet, but he and Evelyn were playing some good defense. There was a sequence in the first half where those two alone basically caused a shot clock violation.

I’m feeling it move thinking about bohannon, Wieskamp and CJ from the 3 point line this season. There are going to be some games like the Illinois game last season where we just bury teams with our shooting.

Thought Patrick looked really good running the floor on the break and he will be an exciting player to watch.

All in all, as Doug stated, seems like Kriener is going to be the frustrating player this season. Hopefully with Pemsl back and Nunge/Garza, he won’t have to see the floor as often (but let’s not get our hopes up).

Trying to remain calm about last night considering it was an awful team that they played. But it was like when you watch the NBA Summer League. There are some things to overlook, but there are things that translate like when someone is quick, someone has a great shot, someone plays hard D, etc.

Is JoeT more of a Kevin Smith or a Brian Garner?

(joking, but that's the first thing the reports from last night made me thing of... after a few years of slow white PGs Iowa recruits a quick black kid, I remember this pattern from the early 90s. It never worked out quite like the fans (or Dr Tom) hoped. Maybe he's more DeanO than Smith/Garner, or somewhere in the middle like Glasper.)

Also, CJ sounds just like what the doctor ordered for what Fran needs. I saw all of the references to weight he put on in the offseason...but the pictures I saw with an article, he still looked skinny with undefined arms. Did he look stronger in person/on video, or is he still going to have problems being pushed around when conference play starts?

douglasbader

Reaction score

(joking, but that's the first thing the reports from last night made me thing of... after a few years of slow white PGs Iowa recruits a quick black kid, I remember this pattern from the early 90s. It never worked out quite like the fans (or Dr Tom) hoped. Maybe he's more DeanO than Smith/Garner, or somewhere in the middle like Glasper.)

Also, CJ sounds just like what the doctor ordered for what Fran needs. I saw all of the references to weight he put on in the offseason...but the pictures I saw with an article, he still looked skinny with undefined arms. Did he look stronger in person/on video, or is he still going to have problems being pushed around when conference play starts?
I can say with complete confidence that Toussaint isn't anything like the spazzes you mentioned or Trigger Trey Dickerson. He is taller, way better built and will be a legit player. I disagree with Revolver that he was out of control, more he looked like a freshman playing his first game and tried to do a little too much a few times.

I don't think it would be a great comparison, but he is going to be closer to the floor of Chauncey Leslie.

Revolver

Reaction score

I can say with complete confidence that Toussaint isn't anything like the spazzes you mentioned or Trigger Trey Dickerson. He is taller, way better built and will be a legit player. I disagree with Revolver that he was out of control, more he looked like a freshman playing his first game and tried to do a little too much a few times.

I don't think it would be a great comparison, but he is going to be closer to the floor of Chauncey Leslie.
He was very spazzy at times and was definitely trying to do way too much. Aside from Kriener, I would say he and Evelyn were the least impressive players last night. But yeah, it is early.

douglasbader

Reaction score
He was very spazzy at times and was definitely trying to do way too much. Aside from Kriener, I would say he and Evelyn were the least impressive players last night. But yeah, it is early.
I get what you are saying, simply disagree that he was as spazzy and as out of control as you are describing. Evelyn and Kreiner were definitely the least impressive, but Toussaint showed multiple times exactly what will make him different. He was good on the break with Patrick, is a strong rebounder for a guard and he is going to be able to get to the rim and draw defenders or get fouled while being able to keep players out of the lane.

He is exactly what Iowa needs and has been missing for about a decade.

Revolver

Reaction score
I get what you are saying, simply disagree that he was as spazzy and as out of control as you are describing. Evelyn and Kreiner were definitely the least impressive, but Toussaint showed multiple times exactly what will make him different. He was good on the break with Patrick, is a strong rebounder for a guard and he is going to be able to get to the rim and draw defenders or get fouled while being able to keep players out of the lane.

I fully agree on that last part. At very least, he is quick and can play D. That’ll be good enough this season.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score

I saw a lot more Deano in him than Leslie, but I'll take either.

Revolver

Reaction score
Has the stream quality and production improved?
Stream quality was fine. Unfortunately the production quality has also improved. They still have some shitty camera work and I don’t understand their shots they use to cut to commercial break, but it isn’t the shit show I’ve come to desire out of BTN+.

douglasbader

Reaction score

I fully agree on that last part. At very least, he is quick and can play D. That’ll be good enough this season.
The best thing about this year for Toussaint is actually going to be that there isn't overwhelming pressure on him to handle the ball in crucial situations. There are 4 other guys that can help with that and he can grow into his role.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Has the stream quality and production improved?
Stream quality was fine. Unfortunately the production quality has also improved. They still have some shitty camera work and I don’t understand their shots they use to cut to commercial break, but it isn’t the shit show I’ve come to desire out of BTN+.
I thought it was headed that way when on the first possession the camera guy forgot to move the camera and follow the action, but overall it was disappointingly well done.

Revolver

Reaction score

The best thing about this year for Toussaint is actually going to be that there isn't overwhelming pressure on him to handle the ball in crucial situations. There are 4 other guys that can help with that and he can grow into his role.
Bingo. Usually Iowa is forced to rely too heavily on players like him.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but Dolph was right. It was great not to have to watch players like Dailey out there bumbling around and fucking up.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The stream was flawless for me.

Revolver

Reaction score
https://247sports.com/college/iowa/Article/Iowa-Hawkeyes-Basketball-CJ-Fredrick-Exhibition-Opener-Joe-Wieskamp-Fran-McCaffery-Big-Ten-Conference--138042086/?fbclid=IwAR3y-JJL4YaQkvLwXOQh2C6wGcuzZCXWmBbqrId3QC8FDc-HlYp_BaFpUNg

"I don't think anyone is more excited than I am," Wieskamp said. "We've been roommates since the beginning and you could tell that last year he just wanted to be out there. He worked really hard last season and took full advantage of that redshirt year. To see him go out and succeed like he did tonight is great for him. I think there's more to come."

. . .

Fredrick's tenacity on the defensive end is well documented after he told his story about injuring his rib last year during practice.

Fredrick took a charge on Iowa forward Tyler Cook in practice, which takes a lot of courage. It wasn't an ideal decision for Fredrick, but that's the kind of player he is: Always willing to do what's right for the team.

"I remember doing a defensive drill and coach McCaffery stopped practice and said 'there's no energy right now,'" Fredrick recalled. "I saw Tyler [Cook] get the ball on the wing and I thought to myself 'Okay, coach just said we need a little more energy.' Then, I saw him coming at me, and I was there, and I said 'Okay, I'm going to take this [charge].' Next thing I know, I closed my eyes, and I just flew through the air."

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I heard the comment about Patrick’s shooting but there’s no way that’s true. You don’t suddenly go from a mid-20’s 3pt shooter in high school to the best shooter on a big ten team with good shooters.

OlePeep

The Conductor
Reaction score
He didn't look slight or weak at all; he looked strong I thought, plenty strong for Big 10 play

Revolver

Reaction score
I heard the comment about Patrick’s shooting but there’s no way that’s true. You don’t suddenly go from a mid-20’s 3pt shooter in high school to the best shooter on a big ten team with good shooters.
I’m sure they made it up.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
If you watched the game, you heard them make up several other comments as well

Revolver

Reaction score
If you watched the game, you heard them make up several other comments as well
I did, and I was shocked to hear the Patrick McCaffery bit, but I don’t believe they just made that up. That doesn’t make any sense.