Make your case for your fav Iowa qb ever

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
Tough question. Been some great ones. I tell you what, though. That first highlight may beat the punt from last year.

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
Here’s the list:

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Banks should have been Heismann. Fun offense on a legit top 5 team in the country

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
Overall tho nobody is going to top Long until someone gets close to his numbers AND wins a Rose Bowl.

Reaction score
Jake Ruddock. Mostly for infiltrating every single season top 10 list for passing at Michigan. And not being an ass hat when CJ moved in.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Chuck Hartlieb. Too young to remember Long well, and I became a Cyclone fan after.

Last edited:

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Healthy CJ was really, really good.
That is the thing that really sucked with CJ, he was only healthy pretty much 3 or 4 games his entire career. He pulled his hamstring against Pitt and was never the same. Still really good, but he was incredible before that.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Tate to Holloway is tough to beat, but favorite moment might be the Stanley TD with the OSU DL hanging impotently on his leg.
3rd Rd Bengals draft pick Sam Hubbard

Last edited:

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
Randy Reiners smoked cigs, drank like a fish and ran like a fullback during a low time in Iowa football. He gave us something to watch and clearly relished his role as the face of the team. No one had more fun at the position.

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Matt Sherman, because I still vividly recall that he was the reason I first heard someone say the word faggot. It was at the spring game in 1998 and some guy was getting real mad about Sherman fucking up in the second half of that infamous Michigan game. It’s funny how things like that stick with you.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Here is the definitive list....

Long
Banks
Tate
Beathard
Stanley
Rodgers
Hartlieb
Rudock
McCann
Chandler

Many others.

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Here is the definitive list....

Long
Banks
Tate
Beathard
Stanley
Rodgers
Hartlieb
Rudock
McCann
Chandler

Many others.
I assume you left Ricky off on accident? But yeah the general idea is right. The real debate is about the 4-6 guys after Long. They all had their days in the sun but also their own stumbling blocks.

Reaction score
Charlie Hartlieb here. Probably the least physically talented. Rarely threw a spiral. Often (usually?) threw three quarters, unless he had to go straight sidearm due to a heavy rush. 42 Wonderlic score. Came off the bench in the 4th quarter to lead team to a win @Arizona, almost pulled off the same vs Michigan State. Led a come from behind effort vs #11 IU and, of course, there was Ohio State.

His '88 season was somewhat similar to CJ Beathard's 2016, only with much better stats. He hurt his knee early, Marv Cook played on a bad ankle, the OL was different most weeks and there was no downfield threat. A winning TD was called back on a cheap holding call at Hawaii (Skillett then missed a game tying FG from 40), the game clinching TD against Colorado was thwarted by a fumble on first and goal after a ten minute injury delay (to center Bill Anderson), Skillett barely missed a game winning FG in East Lansing (many thought it was good) and a final drive against the Buckeyes only resulted in a tying FG. A 3rd quarter 4th and goal from the 1 with the Hawks up 17-10 was stuffed by Michigan (Stewart had a big hole on the right side, but attempted a pile leap) and the teams tied at 17. Threw for 558 in a loss at Indiana and 6800+ in his last 2 years.

Too detailed?

Last edited:

douglasbader

Reaction score
I assume you left Ricky off on accident? But yeah the general idea is right. The real debate is about the 4-6 guys after Long. They all had their days in the sun but also their own stumbling blocks.
Whoops. I would have put him right behind Beathard.