**Maryland vs. Iowa Basketball Thread - 1/3/22 -8:00pm - BTN**

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Sandfort has such a quick 3 they should have gotten him and bohannon in when Maryland was in zone and just play catch along the 3 point arch.

Reaction score
Patrick really gums up the offense with his drives because he's too slow to get all the way to the basket and he has no ability to hit any kind of pull-ups, runners or turnarounds. I think he's miscast as a 3, but he's also too weak and lacking in explosiveness to play the 4.

The smart move would be to give more minutes to Kris at the 3 and use Patrick in more of a complimentary role.

Reaction score
Would have been nice if bohannon didn't come back. All those minutes go to Perkins and Ulis and the rotations are much more straight forward.
It was really aggravating that Fran left bohannon in so long in the first half when it was obvious Maryland was looking to exploit his defensive weakness on every single possession.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
1.2 ppg in 16 min/g

Amazing
Am I reading that right that he's 1 for 2 from two point range for the season? In 13 games he's only attempted two shots from inside the arc

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Kris has the shortest leash on the team for some reason. Kind of reminds me of Uthoff's first year.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
Patrick really gums up the offense with his drives because he's too slow to get all the way to the basket and he has no ability to hit any kind of pull-ups, runners or turnarounds. I think he's miscast as a 3, but he's also too weak and lacking in explosiveness to play the 4.

The smart move would be to give more minutes to Kris at the 3 and use Patrick in more of a complimentary role.
So many great pieces, if he could only figure out the way to use them collectively.

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 8.33.20 PM.png

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Honestly wish pat had the mentality to play the 5 he is just as big as rebraca and it opens up things elsewhere

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Connor doesn’t even ‘calm things down.’ They we’re up double digits when he came in in the first half and they gave up the lead almost right away.

You can’t tell me Sandfort couldn’t stand at the top of the key holding the ball waiting to pass it back to the point guard against zone defense. At least last year they put him in the high post. Now he’s just a body out there that the other team doesn’t even pay attention to.

Bohannons minutes don’t really bother me. He at least brings a beneficial skill to the game even if his shots not falling because the other team has to keep tabs on him.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I knew Connor would suck since HS. But I’m surprised at how bad Pat has been

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Pretty sure a McCaffery was on the floor every single minute of that game.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Pretty sure a McCaffery was on the floor every single minute of that game.
Boy are the guys gonna hear about it at coffee tomorrow

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
Fran has been using Connor and Patrick at SF the last 5 games (at least). So when Patrick's minutes disappeared, he likely gave them to Connor.
Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 8.42.00 PM.png

Reaction score
I knew Connor would suck since HS. But I’m surprised at how bad Pat has been
He should spend the offseason bulking up and trying to become a poor man's Aaron White. He's not going to get any quicker off the dribble and with his awkward shooting form, it's unlikely he's ever going to be a serious threat from three. That's a bad combination for the 3 position at the Big Ten level.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
He should spend the offseason bulking up and trying to become a poor man's Aaron White. He's not going to get any quicker off the dribble and with his awkward shooting form, it's unlikely he's ever going to be a serious threat from three. That's a bad combination for the 3 position at the Big Ten level.
IS HE NOT A SENIOR????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Sandfort has such a quick 3 they should have gotten him and bohannon in when Maryland was in zone and just play catch along the 3 point arch.
he has a great midrange too, he was great from high post in HS

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Patrick is 30-35-% shooter primarily taking open 3’s. That’s adequate as a SF.

He needs to either quit over driving, or actually go at the rim hard and get fouled. He tries to avoid contact and it results in weird runners.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Patrick is fine when they’re doing that 3/4 court press and the game is up and down. He’s brutal in the half court on offense and defense.

After his last miss tonight Fran turned around and put his hand on his head before pulling him for the rest of the game.

CamelTones

Reaction score
🔑, Ulis, Murray, Murray, Perkins and Patrick should all be good enough college defenders. Patrick gives 0 fucks on that end. The rest of the team closes out so poorly on shooters. There were multiple times tonight where you could see them square up to Fats and get caught flat footed. He would easily drive right around them.

Then in the zone up 8 and 3 minutes left, Connor comes flying up to the top of the key with the screener. You could see how Iowa was way out of position and a wide open corner 3 was 2 passes away which they of course made.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
141, holy fuck.
Iowa Basketball is basically Big XII Football at this point. Some outstanding and exciting offense with horrendous coaching, some shitty talent on the field that shouldn't be playing and zero defense. You basically hope that your team has the ball last and the other team fucks up and doesn't score more than you.

douglasbader

Reaction score
They were actually in the 50's at one point I think early in the season. Dropped nearly 100 spots.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
It feels like Fran heard the criticism, and took it as a challenge.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Apologies for being a crotchety fuck after a win, but the last week of Iowa sports has triggered me.

On one hand, we have a 10 win (should have been 11 win) football team that has an outstanding defense but an atrocious and unwatchable offense. Even winning the Big Ten West and going to a nice bowl game with double digit wins and finishing ranked in the Top 20 feels like a fucking chore to watch. The worst thing is that it is so fixable and boils down to one or two really shitty players and a bad philosophy they can't execute.

Then you switch to basketball and Iowa has a ridiculously good offense and a lottery pick stud that is leading the country in scoring and is a outstanding all around player. The problem though is that the defense is so fucking pathetic that it makes watching them an incredibly frustrating experience. The worst thing is that it is so fixable and boils down to one or two really shitty players and a bad philosophy they can't execute.

Sure, this is still pretty good to be a fan and we have good teams and some great players. Not really asking for all that much as a fan though and don't expect Iowa Football to have a great offense or Iowa Basketball to have a great defense, but why the fuck can't they just be mediocre?