**Michigan vs. Iowa Basketball - 1/17/20 - 8pm - FS1**

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Hawks are 100:1 for the national title.

Reaction score
I can’t be alone in thinking that felt like a second round or sweet sixteen type of game.

Garza is the one who brought the balls to this team, Connor too. Those guys aren’t pussies and won’t back down to anyone.

Imagine had CJ not been hurt and losses versus PSU and Nebrantska.
Really was back and forth & a fun game to watch. Seemed like Michigan had momentum for forever, in the 2nd half....aside from that last 5 minutes or so.

Reaction score
I can’t be alone in thinking that felt like a second round or sweet sixteen type of game.

Garza is the one who brought the balls to this team, Connor too. Those guys aren’t pussies and won’t back down to anyone.

Imagine had CJ not been hurt and losses versus PSU and Nebrantska.
Super high level college game. Both teams moved the ball, moved without the ball and got good looks then hit them.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Hopefully this will be a year finally where we are talking about seed numbers instead of magic numbers, but I think Iowa's magic number to make the NCAA Tournament is likely 5 after tonight.

They have 13 games left and 7 at home. I will never call them a lock due to past history and injury concerns, but they are looking very very good as it stands. Would likely be a 4 seed at this point.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Hopefully this will be a year finally where we are talking about seed numbers instead of magic numbers, but I think Iowa's magic number to make the NCAA Tournament is likely 5 after tonight.

They have 13 games left and 7 at home. I will never call them a lock due to past history and injury concerns, but they are looking very very good as it stands. Would likely be a 4 seed at this point.
I really wish we could take back PSU and Nebrantska and replay with CJ at full health.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Iowa’s offensive execution is out of this world good at times. The ball entry into the post is light years better.
At least Pemsl can do one thing (occasionally) besides making me wish Fran would just forget he's on the bench, and that is dish the ball. Those two back-2-back feeds he gave to a cutting Kreiner for 2 layups were fanfuckingtastic.

That one 'thread the needle' pass - at a tough angle - from Kriener to Garza was the shit, too.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
If CJ isn’t injured for the second half at the Palestra or the Nebrantska game they’re likely 6-1 and tied with Michigan State for first.

Side note, after Teske hit that 3 to get it to a one point game, CJ made the best play of the night. Put his defender on skates and Joe found him for the easy layup. Just great offensive basketball. Back cuts, using Garza in the high post as a screener and decoy. Wagner looking like a bitch. Etc.

Reaction score
Statistically the Fran team this most resembles is the 2014 team in Dev's senior year that lost the play-in game. They were 5th offensively, 77th defensively. That team lost 11 games going to the tournament, 8 of them were by 6 or less. This team feels a lot tougher, hopefully we can stay healthy.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Forgot to add that this 3 game home stretch came at a great time where they get 5 days between each game before heading back out on the road where they play a 4 game stretch every 3 days.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Statistically the Fran team this most resembles is the 2014 team in Dev's senior year that lost the play-in game. They were 5th offensively, 77th defensively. That team lost 11 games going to the tournament, 8 of them were by 6 or less. This team feels a lot tougher, hopefully we can stay healthy.
In the previous years when Fran's teams have collapsed, the offense suddenly stops working. I think they have the right mix this year where that won't happen.

BillyBob

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
This might finally be the year for a tourney run. Garza is dominant and can carry Iowa. Never had this level of player under Fran (or Alford or The Criminal).

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I don’t want to jinx it because it’s college basketball, but having a big like Garza makes a huge difference compared to that team. That team also struggled from outside.

That team played most of the season with Woodbury, Basabe and McCabe on the front line. They were surrounded by White, Gesell, Marble, Clemmons and Josh O. Not exactly elite shooters.

douglasbader

Reaction score
To think where this team is after the Depaul game, and then the injuries started piling up - but now CJF back and pwning opposing dumbfucks.

Nov. 11th, 2019 was such a dark day, but as of now it appears to have been that Dark Knight quote where the night is darkest before the dawn.

Reaction score
I really wish we could take back PSU and Nebrantska and replay with CJ at full health.
Nebrantska especially. PSU we played well but that was a tough environment and they played well. I think we win if CJ can play second half but it's close to a toss up.

Nebrantska was just silly. 4-33 and they packed it in to an extreme level daring everyone to shoot. Got contagious and good shooters shot poorly. If CJ plays that's a win, we're 14-4, 5-2. Whatever though, stuff happens in a long season. Just hope he stays healthy.

Reaction score
In the previous years when Fran's teams have collapsed, the offense suddenly stops working. I think they have the right mix this year where that won't happen.
The only thing that concerns me long-term offensively is the amount of guards that teams can sag on. Garza and Kriener can counter that when they're hitting but it still changes the dynamic. Connor has gotten to threat level but still only shoots when left open with space. Evelyn was a 39% guy on 143 attempts two years ago. If he could get his confidence and consistency even close to that it changes a lot.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Iowa’s offensive execution is out of this world good at times. The ball entry into the post is light years better.
There’s a set that Fran likes to run for his 2 with a back screen followed immediately by a pin down. CJs BB IQ showed by going backdoor on the cut for a layup. That’s high level stuff.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Is Bakari the most pleasant surprise we've had in the Fran era?

You can say CJ, but I think most folks thought he'd be at least a boring 3 pt scorer. Bakari had legit Brandon Hutton/Ahmad Wagner expectations.

Srsly what a win.

Let's reel in the years.

Devon Archie
Patrick Ingram
Anthony fuckin Hubbard
Trey Dickerson
Andrew Fleming
Dale Jones

What a fuckin monster halfway through his first season. Look at the cock on that kid.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
a smart, tough team with the best big man in college basketball. the doubters can suck fran's philly cock.