**Michigan vs. Iowa Basketball - 1/17/20 - 8pm - FS1**

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
This might finally be the year for a tourney run. Garza is dominant and can carry Iowa. Never had this level of player under Fran (or Alford or The Criminal).
I even go back to Marble's senior year. He was a great scorer, but Garza's rebounding puts him in a category that Marble couldn't match.

You would have to go back 50 years to find anyone with a more dominant season than Garza is having.

As far as the team goes, they compare really well to the 89 team. One dominant big guy, two dominant outside threats.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Is Bakari the most pleasant surprise we've had in the Fran era?

You can say CJ, but I think most folks thought he'd be at least a boring 3 pt scorer. Bakari had legit Brandon Hutton/Ahmad Wagner expectations.

Srsly what a win.

Let's reel in the years.

Devon Archie
Patrick Ingram
Anthony fuckin Hubbard
Trey Dickerson
Andrew Fleming
Dale Jones

What a fuckin monster halfway through his first season. Look at the cock on that kid.
Wat? Is a guy averaging 2 points and 1.4 turnovers a games the most pleasant surprise? I have to be missing some sort of joke. I'm going to go with the guy that's in the running for national player of the year as the most pleasant surprise.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I think Kriener is in the discussion for biggest surprise.
Yeah I would probably pick Riley Till as more of a pleasant surprise than Bakari.

@BBK thoughts last night:
1. Bakari is the most pleasant surprise of the Fran Era.
2. Fran shouldn't even try at MSU because Derp.
3. Iowa should beat a top 30 Kenpom team by 20 in their next game.

Those might be some of the dumbest takes this board has ever seen.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Is Bakari the most pleasant surprise we've had in the Fran era?

You can say CJ, but I think most folks thought he'd be at least a boring 3 pt scorer. Bakari had legit Brandon Hutton/Ahmad Wagner expectations.

Srsly what a win.

Let's reel in the years.

Devon Archie
Patrick Ingram
Anthony fuckin Hubbard
Trey Dickerson
Andrew Fleming
Dale Jones

What a fuckin monster halfway through his first season. Look at the cock on that kid.
I love ya man, but what in the world are you talking about? First, hell no. He has had a few good games and played fine in some other and been bad in many others. He is doing about what most thought he would.

You also say "through his first season", it is his only season. He is a grad transfer.

Garza and Fredrick are by far much much bigger surprises. Connor is even more of a surprise.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I even go back to Marble's senior year. He was a great scorer, but Garza's rebounding puts him in a category that Marble couldn't match.

You would have to go back 50 years to find anyone with a more dominant season than Garza is having.

As far as the team goes, they compare really well to the 89 team. One dominant big guy, two dominant outside threats.
You wouldn't have to go back that far. Iowa went to the Sweet 16 where they gave the eventual national champion a scare with the only guy to lead the Big Ten in scoring and assists.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
bohannon and Marble would be in the mix. Obviously there was a little excitement around both because of their names, but both far exceeded their recruiting profile.

CJ without a doubt made me look like a dumb asshole.

douglasbader

Reaction score
bohannon and Marble would be in the mix. Obviously there was a little excitement around both because of their names, but both far exceeded their recruiting profile.

CJ without a doubt made me look like a dumb asshole.
White would be ahead of either of those I think.

Hot Lasagna Balls

Needs to GFH
Reaction score
You wouldn't have to go back that far. Iowa went to the Sweet 16 where they gave the eventual national champion a scare with the only guy to lead the Big Ten in scoring and assists.

Dougie! They didn’t go to the Sweet 16 with Woolridge. They went to the Sweet 16 with Dean Oliver at the helm in Tom Davis’ final season.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score

I don't have any issues with Woolrodge being at the top of the conversation for now.

He was great, no doubt. I'm just not sure I've ever seen anyone take over, game after game, like Garza has. Even his quiet games are great.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Dougie! They didn’t go to the Sweet 16 with Woolridge. They went to the Sweet 16 with Dean Oliver at the helm in Tom Davis’ final season.
I give him a pass. The 90s were a bit of a blur, especially because Settles played on just about every team.

Woolridge almost single handedly beat Kentucky that year in the dance.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Michigan fans are really mad about the foul discrepancy.

I’m starting to wonder if don’t know how Big Ten road games work. They probably thought the 2 charges on Brandon Johns were bad calls.

douglasbader

Reaction score

I’m starting to wonder if don’t know how Big Ten road games work. They probably thought the 2 charges on Brandon Johns were bad calls.
There was one team playing man and one team playing zone. There was one team trying to relentlessly feed the post and another team taking a ton of mid-range and long jumpers.

If you aren't trying to get fouled and the other team is, you are going to have numbers like that.

Hot Lasagna Balls

Needs to GFH
Reaction score

Fuck that. The refs were probably aware of the discrepancy and swallowed their whistles a lot of times throughout the game. They were reaching in the entire game and hacking Garza 2/3 times he touched the ball. There could have been so many more fouls on them than there were.

Want to see a more balanced foul count? Stop shooting a million threes and take the ball to the rack. That or stop reaching and just stay in front of your man the old fashioned way.

Last edited:
Reaction score
All the individual efforts aside, this team is just fun to watch. The game last night had two teams playing well and going back and forth at each other. Great game and exciting for any fan of basketball. That was high level ball and I loved every minute. There will be more to come as well for the Hawks and the big ten in general. What a year.

Reaction score
I give him a pass. The 90s were a bit of a blur, especially because Settles played on just about every team.

Woolridge almost single handedly beat Kentucky that year in the dance.
He was incredible that day. I remember the Kentucky fans gave him a standing ovation as he walked off the court.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score

Fuck them. They shot 18 more threes and about 6,000 mid range jumpers (which they fucking made every one of.) You aren't going to shoot a lot of free throws when you never go to the rack for fear of having your nuts ripped off by Luka and the gang.

Michigan fans, including Steve Deace and his Donkey Lips from Salute Your Shorts looking ass, can get fucked sideways.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
In years past there would always be occasional games where some marginal player would play out of his mind and torch the Hawks. Previously the Hawks would wilt and chalk up the inevitable loss to bad luck, but not this team.

This team took everything that moppy headed fuck, Brooks, threw at them and responded. This team is just a bunch of gamers. Everyone looking to score down the stretch. A group of studs with testicular fortitude and ice water in their veins. It’s a great pleasure to watch this team.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Garza figuring his shit out at the line after the small hiccup midseason has meant a ton.

If he continues to get to the line and shoots at the recent FT clip he has, he'll score 30 every time out. Playing so many minutes as a big man is fucking incredible to boot.

I'm jacked up.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Garza figuring his shit out at the line after the small hiccup midseason has meant a ton.

If he continues to get to the line and shoots at the recent FT clip he has, he'll score 30 every time out. Playing so many minutes as a big man is fucking incredible to boot.

I'm jacked up.
He sat for one minute in the second half and it went to shit quickly. Thankfully Fran took a TO and got Luka back in.

Hot Lasagna Balls

Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Luka doesn't get tired. bohannon is the same way.
Luka is always pouring so much sweat when they zoom in on him at the FT line. Yet the next time down the court he pushes someone around and maneuvers his way for an easy bucket. It is dumbfounding.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Luka is always pouring so much sweat when they zoom in on him at the FT line. Yet the next time down the court he pushes someone around and maneuvers his way for an easy bucket. It is dumbfounding.
It's much easier to move without a giant cyst in your abdomen and a bum ankle. He's worked his ass off and now that he's healthier he has found another gear

douglasbader

Reaction score
Luka doesn't get tired. bohannon is the same way.
He has to be a nightmare for other big guys to play against because he is relentlessly sprinting the floor and trying to bury you deep in the lane on ever single possession.

Most other big guys sort of coast up and down and pick their spots and it is easy to defend them. It has to fucking suck and you could see last night that Teske was beside himself.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
CJ never stops either. Probably isn’t fully conditioned yet after his injury and went 39 minutes.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Meanwhile, Bill Self just lit into Moss for jogging back on D while Texas got a run out dunk. "What is wrong with you? You pass the ball, your ass is back. Get your fucking..." camera cuts away.
Lol. I can't even say scooped because we posted this at the exact same time in different threads.

So glad we don't have Moss.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
CJ is so much better, and Connor fits the 4th guard role really well but I don’t think we could play 4 guards with Moss. He is way too soft.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I really wanted to say Moss would be nice to have for Toussaint and Evelyn's minutes and giving the others a breather, but we all know Moss would have struggled sticking to a role. He's never had basketball common sense. Inconsistency is not good for spot minutes either so he would have come in chucking his long twos regardless of game situation and if he was hitting.

It also helps that Iowa hasn't had the classic scoreless draughts either, more guys who are consistent scorers really solves that problem. In summary, Moss and his handlers can go kick rocks.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Moss and Toussaint together would have been a disaster. Turnovers, long twos, and just completely forgetting roles on defense, taking too many chances, etc. Iowa is better off.

foxhawks

Doesn't wash his butthole last
Reaction score
Nebrantska football fan. He’s forever unclean.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
Liver is never in at my house.
I like liver a lot. Once or twice a week I will pan fry it in butter with or without onions. Cheap and delicious and healthy as about any food ever made.