**North Carolina Central vs. Iowa Basketball - 11/25/20 - 3:00pm - BTN**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
My thoughts....

- Garza is a machine. Will be/is the greatest Hawkeye ever.
- Fredrick is a stud and the best shooter on a team of shooters
- bohannon looked like Bohanon. Connor looked like Connor. Wieskamp looked about the same.
- I was most excited to see how Patrick looked, and he sure didn't disappoint. He is the X factor that can do anything and is going to be so disruptive at the top of the press. He is sort of a combo of Aaron White and Nicholas Baer.
- Toussaint is spazzy but settled down as the game went on
- Keegan Murray was the huge surprise. First true freshman of the 5 off the bench and showed everything. Rebounded, hit threes, blocked shots, made smart plays, not scared at all. Talented and skilled. Huge positive for bench and depth at the 4.
- I think that Ulis will be the PG of the future, not Toussaint. That doesn't mean Joe won't start next year, but Ulis is bigger and more under control and can run a team.
- Perkins is athletic as hell but couldn't tell much more
- JoshO is a fucking huge bloke. I like that kid and will be a force if they can get him in shape.
- Kris Murray is a long term project that maybe is a contributor 2-3 years from now.

It's the best Iowa team in 30+ years. They have everything. Still need the effort on defense, but I think it will be good enough to be really good.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Saw the first half, listened the 2nd while on the road.

Garza did his usual Garzilla things, but the players who most impressed me today were Patrick and Keegan Murray. Quite impressed with both, lots of energy and effectiveness from that duo.

Will watch the recorded 2nd half later, to appreciate what I couldn't see, because listening to Dolph 'illustrate' a bball game is like trying to decipher a 3 year old's crayon scribbles into something recognizable.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
Josh O's body is the result of spending the summer in British lockdown. give him a couple of years. If he's down to about 260 in his second real year of eligibility. you don't want the guy to be in a huge calorie deficit for a whole year, which is what it would take to drop 40+ pounds between now and next Nov.

Reaction score
I just read that they watched Dr Nunges funeral over Zoom before the game. Honestly I wonder if that contributed to the meh start.
Yeah Fran said they all watched it together the services together over a stream which would've been within a few hours of the game. Not surprising they didn't have a ton of juice out of the gate after that.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
listened to 2nd half. Dolph seemed able to tell the Murray lads apart, which surprised me.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Just watched glancing up from my desk, but Keegan Murray and Patrick were definitely the two that caught my eye, too. Patrick could still use a stronger base inside, but well ahead of where he was last year. Murray looks like he could be a steal.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I know NCCU is inferior competition to begin with, then add in their extremely limited practice time due to Covid and injuries, but I think the Hawks will be ok.

A very slow start to the first 8-10+ minutes - as well as the tragic Nunge family situation, that most likely contributed to their mindset at the start - that let NCCU hang around, and then Iowa still basically put up 100 points and won by 30.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
listened to 2nd half. Dolph seemed able to tell the Murray lads apart, which surprised me.
Its much more likely he thought it was a Murray twin when it was actually Josh O.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Dolphin is going to struggle with the Murrays. He already confuses black athletes who are unrelated, let alone twins. I heard one fuck up, but didn't listen to the 2nd half.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Ended up dominating a decent team and having no real motivation in the game. This team will turn it up against good teams and it will be something to behold.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
I can’t say I’ve ever listened to Gary Dolphin on porpoise
No shit. Learfield offers some “sync your game” thing where you can sync up the radio play by play to your television if you have a DVR. I said “why the fuck would anyone want to do that?” aloud when I heard it advertised for the first time.

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
Fun game. Young McCaffery is WAAAAY better than I thought and was exciting to watch. Weiskamp's balls still haven't dropped since they burrowed back up inside him halfway through last year though. Garza got his and was happy he barely left the block the whole game. No need to have him drift out to the 3 point line this season for any reason given the double teams he will draw down low.

That all being said-it's the first game.

Reaction score
Pat was really good. Needs to shore up the FT shooting, but everything else was great. Like @douglasbader said, he’s going to be a problem for teams at the top of the press. He runs like a deer and doesn’t at all look uncoordinated.

Should be a fun season.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
With Nunge back and getting minutes the main rotation will be 9 or so which Fran should be able to sort out. Keegan’s minutes will probably get squeezed by Nunge, but he did nothing today to suggest he can’t handle 10-14 minutes a game if Fran can find them.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
With Nunge back and getting minutes the main rotation will be 9 or so which Fran should be able to sort out. Keegan’s minutes will probably get squeezed by Nunge, but he did nothing today to suggest he can’t handle 10-14 minutes a game if Fran can find them.
Based on what I saw today I’m not sure Keegan shouldn’t play over Nunge

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Based on what I saw today I’m not sure Keegan shouldn’t play over Nunge
It’s possible, but I view Nunge as Garza’s primary back up as well as someone you can play situationally when you want to go big on some teams. I think he finds plenty of minutes as well as Keegan getting his.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
One thing they're doing is playing canned crowd noise, but it's really soft, like when your phone is playing but the volume is all the way turned down and you can't tell where the sound is coming from. Really annoying and kind of pointless.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
One thing they're doing is playing canned crowd noise, but it's really soft, like when your phone is playing but the volume is all the way turned down and you can't tell where the sound is coming from. Really annoying and kind of pointless.
They should pump up the burrito for all of regulation

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
It’s possible, but I view Nunge as Garza’s primary back up as well as someone you can play situationally when you want to go big on some teams. I think he finds plenty of minutes as well as Keegan getting his.
Yeah, it's all situational. I don't really want Keegan at the 5 against a team like Illinois but maybe against other teams it works. I still think Nunge is really good but has been anxious in the limited time we have seen him. I don't think it's a retarded anxious like Alex Thompson and assume he will settle in.