**North Carolina vs. Iowa Basketball - 12/8/20 - 6:35pm - ESPN**

Reaction score
All of the starters are obvious and have been talked about. What makes such a difference though is to have a 9 man rotation where there is absolutely zero dead spots on the court. Sure, they may fuck up some or take too many crappy shots or whatever, but they are all high level competent players.

There is no garbage like Dailey or Wagner or Ellingson or McCabe or a dozen other guys from the past 10 years stinking it up on the court. It is the difference between pretty good and elite.
This can't be emphasized enough. Ol' Dougie has been beating this drum every time someone says they're afraid Fran will play too many guys. Tonight he played 8 guys 10+ minutes, 9 total and all can play. Guessing Ulis will get some minutes at some point and he looks like he can hold his own in spot minutes this year. Regardless, you're not putting in duds. The "worst" lineup tonight still had at least 2 guys who were starters last year at some point and improved.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
It’s always difficult to sift through Fran’s hyperbole, but I can see Nunge being a serious threat on offense.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
This can't be emphasized enough. Ol' Dougie has been beating this drum every time someone says they're afraid Fran will play too many guys. Tonight he played 8 guys 10+ minutes, 9 total and all can play. Guessing Ulis will get some minutes at some point and he looks like he can hold his own in spot minutes this year. Regardless, you're not putting in duds. The "worst" lineup tonight still had at least 2 guys who were starters last year at some point and improved.
Yeah I can fap to this. Thanks Hiawatha.

Reaction score
Nunge is a great backup center but maybe don’t take 5 3s again please.
Eh, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up our 4th best 3P shooter and hits 35%+. Hard to remember exactly but I feel like he only had one that I was cussing about in the moment.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Connor started, played 17 minutes, and didn't shoot, and all of us rightfully love the game he played.
He really does need to create for himself a bit more though. Even on the great pass to Jordan off the shot fake he probably should have put that up. He also easily got into the lane several times and would have had wide open pull ups or taken it and got fouled. He got to the line a ton last year.

It’s just so weird to see a college player make like zero mistakes, so how can I really complain?

Reaction score
Fran really stole half his team. We all sort of hated bohannon, Fredrick and Murray as recruits. You can even throw in Fran's kids with some of the hate they got.
I always thought the Fredrick stuff was just because he was white. You watched his videos and he showed he could handle against athleticism, hit big shots and scored in a variety of ways. More athletic than he got credit for. The Murray's were basically just a "trust in Fran, they grew" thing even for defenders. I was hoping bohannon would be Brody Boyd and he's far exceeded that. The stuff on his kids was super dumb, especially with Pat.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I always thought the Fredrick stuff was just because he was white. You watched his videos and he showed he could handle against athleticism, hit big shots and scored in a variety of ways. More athletic than he got credit for. The Murray's were basically just a "trust in Fran, they grew" thing even for defenders. I was hoping bohannon would be Brody Boyd and he's far exceeded that. The stuff on his kids was super dumb, especially with Pat.
Yeah, and honestly all of them were just timing and not hating the kids. We were pissed about bohannon because we missed out on someone else, Fredrick and promising a greyshirt for him, losing out on Foster and the Murray brothers having no other offers, etc....

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Can you imagine all the "fucks" that take place regularly at the McCaffery family dinners?

"Hey, Dad. Did you see all the shit Hassel was talkin' on Twitter?"

"No, but fuck that muddafucka."

Reaction score
Yeah, and honestly all of them were just timing and not hating the kids. We were pissed about bohannon because we missed out on someone else, Fredrick and promising a greyshirt for him, losing out on Foster and the Murray brothers having no other offers, etc....
Fran will miss on some guys the next few years but I'm not really gonna question him at the time anymore. I thought bohannon could be a backup PG/shooter off the bench and Fredrick would help us but both super exceeded what pretty much anyone thought. Same with Keegan.

You've posted it 100 times but the 13 month difference from the day of the DePaul loss/Foster to ISU decision is incredible. 2nd half of that game was as down as I've ever been on Fran. Dumbass. This is so fun.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Everyone wanted Charlie Moore. Even Garza people were not excited about despite being a top 150 recruit. Everyone wants the guy that can jump and dunk.

It blows my mind after watching both Duke and UNC tonight that neither team has someone that you really need to pay attention to outside the 3 point line. UNC recruited 10 guys that are close to 7 foot and 250 lbs that can rebound. Outside of that their actual basketball skills are pretty limited. They’re built like a 1996 NBA team.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Everyone wanted Charlie Moore. Even Garza people were not excited about despite being a top 150 recruit. Everyone wants the guy that can jump and dunk.

It blows my mind after watching both Duke and UNC tonight that neither team has someone that you really need to pay attention to outside the 3 point line. UNC recruited 10 guys that are close to 7 foot and 250 lbs that can rebound. Outside of that their actual basketball skills are pretty limited. They’re built like a 1996 NBA team.
Right. I don't know how you are a blue blood program and you don't go out of your way to recruit at least 4-5 high level shooters.

Reaction score
I'll never forget that someone here ran into Sherm Dillard I think at the airport and said he felt really good about the big guy they were recruiting from DC. I think it was during his junior year probably, maybe earlier. Even those of us who tried to get excited, it was a skilled, plodding big guy. Then he finally blew up the summer before his senior year.

Then it became like some of the Aaron White stuff here where you could see glimpses even if he was physically nowhere near exciting.

Mustangs989

Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Roy Williams compared Luka to Tyler Hansbrough in his postgame comments.
I understand the hatred for that comment a little bit I think it's more toward the attitude of the guys. Garza is 10x the passer that Hansborough was and believe it or not a better defender. What they're the same at is believing in their skill and going at the defender no matter what. Garza had a turnover and his shot blocked in back to back possessions and after that went back to back 3pt plays. He's so fucking relentless that he'll get his even when he has a shitty game and he's good enough to pass out when he needs to.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
False. Not all of them were just timing and not hating on the kids.

I was hating on Patrick. I was also wrong.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score

To be fair, what has made Garza great is not something you could ever see on a high school video. He’s an unathletic, plodding Neanderthal.

he just happens to work harder than I think any player I’ve ever seen and made himself a great player.

I love him

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
I generally like Roy. I generally like North Carolina.

I fucking hate Duke. I think Coach K is a gigantic piece of shit phony. I think Tom Izzo is a gigantic piece of shit phony. Both are obviously fantastic coaches but I think they are the epitome of liar and scumbags.

douglasbader

Reaction score
We talked about this before the season, but so fun to see Iowa have 4 starters that can legit get 25+ on any given night and not because of a fluke.

They also have a bench guy that can get 20+, another couple that can get 17+ and then a freshman that can get 12+ at least.

Everyone can score and at a very high level for their position or role.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Patrick off the bench is a please don’t screw things up player. No real need to shoot against a good team.

Keegan off the bench is a do your thing and be aggressive player. Don’t care about shooting or whatever, just happy he’s in there making positive things happen.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Patrick off the bench is a please don’t screw things up player. No real need to shoot against a good team.

Keegan off the bench is a do your thing and be aggressive player. Don’t care about shooting or whatever, just happy he’s in there making positive things happen.
Totally disagree. Patrick is talented and will hit those shots. Tonight was his first big game of his career and had some nerves.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
I generally like Roy. I generally like North Carolina.

I fucking hate Duke. I think Coach K is a gigantic piece of shit phony. I think Tom Izzo is a gigantic piece of shit phony. Both are obviously fantastic coaches but I think they are the epitome of liar and scumbags.
I don’t necessarily like UNC but I do like Roy. When he was at KU he was on the local radio here a lot and was a good listen. I feel the same way about Bill Self. I liked him at Illinois so glad he left, cuz fuck illinois

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Totally disagree. Patrick is talented and will hit those shots. Tonight was his first big game of his career and had some nerves.
He’ll hit them eventually I agree, but Keegan can just do his thing right now and it’s more natural. He’s just reacting at this point and it’s going just fine.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

If he doesn't throw up that atrocious air ball I don't think we're having this conversation. He had 4 boards, a couple assists and a steal in ten minutes. He needs to keep shooting because that opens up what looks to be the best part of his game as a driver.