**North Carolina vs. Iowa Basketball - 12/8/20 - 6:35pm - ESPN**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I'm not going to go CycloneFan and scream NO RESPECT!! but it is weird reading twitter comments and even hearing Van Pelt (though he is very positive about Luka) go off on Luka with stuff like hurr durr 6-20 and hurr durr this isn't Western Illinios!!

The fucking kid averaged 25/10 in the Big Ten last year on an injury depleted team. He did it against everyone including multiple NBA level big men in the toughest conference in the country.

It's like last year didn't happen and everyone thinks Garza materialized out of thin air and started playing 2 weeks ago and all his hype is based off of scoring a lot against 3 shitty teams.

For fuck's sake, he scored like 92 points by himself against Michigan last year.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Patrick will be Aaron White. This is great experience for him.
He won’t end up with better numbers than white, but he may end up as the better player

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I'm not going to go CycloneFan and scream NO RESPECT!! but it is weird reading twitter comments and even hearing Van Pelt (though he is very positive about Luka) go off on Luka with stuff like hurr durr 6-20 and hurr durr this isn't Western Illinios!!

The fucking kid averaged 25/10 in the Big Ten last year on an injury depleted team. He did it against everyone including multiple NBA level big men in the toughest conference in the country.

It's like last year didn't happen and everyone thinks Garza materialized out of thin air and started playing 2 weeks ago and all his hype is based off of scoring a lot against 3 shitty teams.

For fuck's sake, he scored like 92 points by himself against Michigan last year.
He had a slightly down game offensively against a team that decided their gameplan was going to be "don't let Garza beat us."

So instead we shit all over them from the 3 point line.

They picked their poison and they did that because we have the best player in college basketball.

The fact that they keyed on him speaks to why he's great.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
UNC is a bad matchup for luka. Not every team will be able to throw the same amount of big athletic guys at him all game.

he missed some bunnies he usually makes too. Shots I couldn’t believe didn’t fall. He had position, had a clean shot, they just didn’t go in. He makes 3-4 of those and SVP has nothing to say.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Illinois will be a great test for Luka because of the extreme contrast between their two bigs. Every other game, even including Gonzaga, he is going to be able to get his.

Of course it is a shame that we only get Illinois on the road during the regular season (we'll surely get fucked at AH like always), but on a neutral court I like Iowa.

iowa4ever20

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I like SVP and he gave Garza some praise but his highlights tonight had a little bit of Maryland fan bias. He claimed Luka got away with a hook on one of his and 1’s on top of the comment about UNC isn’t Southern or Western Illinois. I also remember him mentioning he thought Garza gets a favorable whistle on a podcast last year. I hear that often from other Big Ten fans (mostly UW, IU, and MSU) in Milwaukee when discussing Iowa. I don’t agree but if so, good. It’s nice for once to have a player that can sometimes get star treatment from the refs.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
I’ll like it even though it’s already been posted because that was a good win

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
9:30 to go, UNC up 1, Garza out of the lineup.

bohannon deep 3.
Leaky Black short miss.
bohannon assist back door to Touissant.
UNC turnover. Garza back in.
Garza layup miss, Murray tip in putback for 3 point play.
Garza foul on Sharpe. Misses both FTs.
JoeT to Weiskamp, shot fake 3.
UNC misses FT.
Joe T to bohannon deep 3. 6:55 to go.

14-0 run in 2 minutes, 35 seconds. 13 point lead, which is how it ended.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
bohannon had a horrible sequence after that with two turnovers (one awful) and a terrible 3 off the backboard.

UNC within 7 with 5:30 to go.

Fredrick misses a wide open 3 in transition, but Murray tips an offensive rebound to Wieskamp for a layup.

Murray blocks a shot at the rim. UNC turnover.

bohannon deep 3 with 4:30 to go. Lead back up to 12. That was pretty much the cold hearted dagger.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
Part of me is sad knowing I'll likely die before I see another Iowa basketball team this good. Damn that was fun. I love being able to talk shit to my tv during a basketball game.
this reminds me of 86-89 in terms of roster quality

douglasbader

Reaction score
Carvers roof would have blown off last night
Thought about that this morning when watching the highlights. That 14-0 run late in the second half to go from down 1 to up 13 with multiple Garza and 1's and threes raining from everywhere would have Carver looking and feeling like the late 80's.

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
This can't be emphasized enough. Ol' Dougie has been beating this drum every time someone says they're afraid Fran will play too many guys. Tonight he played 8 guys 10+ minutes, 9 total and all can play. Guessing Ulis will get some minutes at some point and he looks like he can hold his own in spot minutes this year. Regardless, you're not putting in duds. The "worst" lineup tonight still had at least 2 guys who were starters last year at some point and improved.

this is some Ravelling-era bench depth. Nunge, Patrick, Ulis all top 150. Toussaint, who would have been a sophomore starter on a few of Fran's teams. Keegan the super-sleeper (like Bill Jones was).

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Thought about that this morning when watching the highlights. That 14-0 run late in the second half to go from down 1 to up 13 with multiple Garza and 1's and threes raining from everywhere would have Carver looking and feeling like the late 80's.
I don’t know if that run would have ever happened with a full crowd. UNC would have been completely shell shocked and buried 5 minutes into the game after all those 3’s.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The 86 team had six or seven guys who ended up playing in the NBA. I think this is our best team since, but the talent levels aren't even
That is true, but Iowa has players with great college talent. What I mean is that a guy like Garza might be a fringe NBA guy, but he is a player of the year level guy in college. Fredrick and bohannon won't likely play in the NBA because of size limitations or being crackers, but on the college level they have elite skill. Connor would never have a chance to play in the NBA, but he plays his role ridiculously well on the college level.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score

It’s a symptom of the media’s east coast bias in cbb coverage, especially the ACC.

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
The 86 team had six or seven guys who ended up playing in the NBA. I think this is our best team since, but the talent levels aren't even
by quality, I mean how many quality college pieces do you have to work with. Fran's got 3 top 150 kids in the second unit. It's been a long time since we've seen that.

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
dougie nailed it. fran is never going to have multiple nba guys on a team, and he's not recruiting on the ravelling level (no bag man). what he's been successful with over the last several classes is finding ranked guys who are four-year players, and under-the-radar guys who can do a couple of things really well. it works.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
He had a slightly down game offensively against a team that decided their gameplan was going to be "don't let Garza beat us."

So instead we shit all over them from the 3 point line.

They picked their poison and they did that because we have the best player in college basketball.

The fact that they keyed on him speaks to why he's great.

Reaction score
They go over 100 vs UNC with a full Carver.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
UNC is a bad matchup for luka. Not every team will be able to throw the same amount of big athletic guys at him all game.

he missed some bunnies he usually makes too. Shots I couldn’t believe didn’t fall. He had position, had a clean shot, they just didn’t go in. He makes 3-4 of those and SVP has nothing to say.
He makes *two* and they're not saying shit because he scored 20 and grabbed 14 boards.

The fact that it's such a huge story that he ONLY scored 16 points is incredible.

Soda Popinski

Kelly Hilpiper
Reaction score
If Garza can get that Kareem sky-hook dialed in he will be unstoppable.

douglasbader

Reaction score
It is fun taking a look through twitter today when searching CJ Fredrick.

Kentucky fans and media pissed that a born and bred Kentucky kid that is a lethal shooter is playing on a Top 5 team scoring 20+ while their team can't shoot for shit and is losing to garbage teams.

LOL at them begging for 4 year players after a decade of 1 and dones.