**Northern Illinois vs. Iowa Basketball - 12/13/20 - 1:00pm - FS1**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Nice little afternoon game for the bench guys to stay in shape.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Not too worried about losing.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
I really love when Patrick and Keegan are on the court together. They are the perfect bench pieces for this squad.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Such a fun team to watch. Obviously this is basketball and they will lose games, but with their offense at this crazy elite level it is going to be hard as fuck to beat Iowa this year.

To beat them, you will have to not only hope that Iowa chooses not to play defense the whole game, but also that your team is red hot and that the entire Iowa team is ice cold.

Interested to see if they avoid some of the close games to lesser teams that you see other Top 10 teams running into because they have scoring issues that keep them close.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I know that 5 of the 6 opponents so far won't make anyone (nationally) sit up and take notice, but this Iowa team is sleepwalking its way to 100 points a game so far.

Those scoring droughts that could sometimes last up to 5+, or more, minutes of game time - even as recently as last season - are now more 1.5 minutes (at the very most).

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Jess settles has a raging homer boner.

wieskamp has been finishing well at the hoop the last few games which is very encouraging. Fredrick just let’s the game come to him. Their skill sets are so important to this team.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Some have been commenting during telecasts about their defense and specifically their transition defense, but being #1 in offensive efficiency means that being #78 on the defensive side is fine.
I also think they are likely better than #78 as Hiawatha was pointing out some of that is carry over from pre-season numbers.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
Up to #4 in KenPom with #1 Offense and #78 Defense
I don’t think a team with KenPom D lower than ~30 has won the National Championship. Need to keep tightening that up.

The fact that I seriously typed that out, after the Lick era, and the first few years of Fran, is absurd.

Wild times and will be the best season of Iowa basketball any of us has witnessed.

Last edited:

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I don’t think a team with KenPom D lower than ~30 has won the National Championship. Need to keep tightening that up.

The fact that I seriously typed that out, after the Lick era, and the first few years of Fran, is absurd.

Wild times and will be the best season of Iowa basketball any of us has witnessed.
I was around for 87. If you’re right, we will all be sucking each other’s dicks.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

again, focusing on defensive efficiency rank without also considering the net efficiency rank is silly.

the odds of having a horrible offensive game when it matters, and thereby having to rely on defense to win, is basically completely random.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
That was an interesting broadcast for FS1. On a football Sunday against a MAC school you assume it's basically just an Iowa audience. Still, Settles basically just did a 2 hour Iowa infomercial.
They chose to put Penn State-Michigan on BTN while MSU-Oakland and Iowa-NIU was on FS1. Just odd programming.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
again, focusing on defensive efficiency rank without also considering the net efficiency rank is silly.

the odds of having a horrible offensive game when it matters, and thereby having to rely on defense to win, is basically completely random.
Not really. You’re typically looking for a 30-35ish margin which is going to be pretty damn hard with defensive efficiency in the mid 90s.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Not really. You’re typically looking for a 30-35ish margin which is going to be pretty damn hard with defensive efficiency in the mid 90s.
I mean, let’s say for the sake of this example every tourney outcome is chalk based on pomeroys year-end model. We are currently #4 overall with an upper-70’s defense. I don’t think we don’t need to get 40 on AdjD to be #1 overall. But maybe we do.

Yes, history says you need a certain level of D to win it all, but that’s probably because no champ’s offense has been as good as ours relative to the field that year, but I am not going to look it up.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
You guys both are stat nerds.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
I mean, let’s say for the sake of this example every tourney outcome is chalk based on pomeroys year-end model. We are currently #4 overall with an upper-70’s defense. I don’t think we don’t need to get 40 on AdjD to be #1 overall. But maybe we do.

Yes, history says you need a certain level of D to win it all, but that’s probably because no champ’s offense has been as good as ours relative to the field that year, but I am not going to look it up.
Villanova from a few years ago had an offense so good compared to the rest of the field that they obliterated everyone. Their D was good too but they would have still win the championship with a D in the 50’s instead of the teens.