- Northwestern vs Iowa. 12/29/20. 8:00pm. FS1 -

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Keegan is incredibly springy.
It's pretty incredible how much he impacts the game for someone just thought of as a shooter coming in. He's still shooting over 40% from 3 but also getting over a block and a steal in 12 mpg. He's obviously a great rebounder but also seems to have a sense of how to keep the ball moving on offense and isn't a ball stopper.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
That fucking zone is ridiculously stupid. 70% of the time there are 2 guys running at 1.
I know a guy who knows a guy who can get you a great deal on some old Fran teaches zone dvds, still in the original packaging. Can't figure why these didn't fly off the shelves.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
I know a guy who knows a guy who can get you a great deal on some old Fran teaches zone dvds, still in the original packaging. Can't figure why these didn't fly off the shelves.
AZ will be here in a bit to tell us the zone is fine, the players just need to execute it better. It’s insightful and we’re so lucky to have a former coach here to educate us in such a way.

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
AZ will be here in a bit to tell us the zone is fine, the players just need to execute it better. It’s insightful and we’re so lucky to have a former coach here to educate us in such a way.
aw, we're all punters. that's why there's so much man love around here.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
It's pretty incredible how much he impacts the game for someone just thought of as a shooter coming in. He's still shooting over 40% from 3 but also getting over a block and a steal in 12 mpg. He's obviously a great rebounder but also seems to have a sense of how to keep the ball moving on offense and isn't a ball stopper.
i think Kris is the better shooter and considered more of a SF. Keegan was considered more of a post player.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
You’re kind of a big baby aren’t you

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
i think Kris is the better shooter and considered more of a SF. Keegan was considered more of a post player.
may be a good while before we see much from kris, just because of roster composition. with joe w the starter, you have patrick, kris, maybe sandfort all in a bench logjam at the 3, unless kris's ball handling is good enough to merit some time with perkins behind cj.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
FTR the zone is not fine but it’s mostly bc other teams have figured out how to exploit the rotations.

They’re obviously trying to match up out of it but good teams get penetration and kicks which get the rotations reacting and then you get the 2 players closing out at 1.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
CJ went off first half. They marked him, bohannon went off 2nd half. 15 point win over a decent team with a really quiet night from Wieskamp and one of Luka's tougher games.
I thought Luka played pretty well tonight. In the first half, there were a couple times where he tried to go a little too fast, but in the second half, I thought he made really good decisions with the ball (often kicking out to the weak side). And his inbounds play with 1 second on the shot clock was fantastic. The only thing that kept him from 20 was a late 3 that went halfway down before spinning out.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
If he had been, he would have spazzed when the game was close, gone semi-Walmart Fan, then cleaned it up in the postgame after he saw what Hiawatha has to say. Then he’d spend 4 posts regurgitating Hiawatha’s talking points in his own words.
And, of course, then Mikey would have repeated it all.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
I hope Fran moves away from Nunge at the PF. It may only be a few minutes a game but it makes no sense when Keegan is sitting on the bench.
Agreed, although I have not given up on Nunge. He is struggling, but I hope he has a breakout game like JBo did tonight and gets back into the swing of things. We really need him to contribute.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
may be a good while before we see much from kris, just because of roster composition. with joe w the starter, you have patrick, kris, maybe sandfort all in a bench logjam at the 3, unless kris's ball handling is good enough to merit some time with perkins behind cj.
its not

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Nunge is getting way too much hate. His shot selection needs to improve but I’m confident he’ll figure it out.

He needs to play both 4 and 5 and needs to develop bc they’re gonna need him a lot next year.
Hope you're right. I have not given up on him.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Did Murray improve that much or were the expert evaluations that far off?

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
Did Murray improve that much or were the expert evaluations that far off?
This is a cop out answer but both. We scrimmaged them a few times both his soph and junior years. Both kids were 6’3” ish and skinny but kinda athletic.

But they both have put in a ton of work both on their games and in the weight room. Growing another 4-5” was the kicker though. That took them to the level they’re at now.

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
I love bohannon blowing the doors off the second half last night and setting the 3's record after how much hate has been spewed his way this year. I mean, he's one of the best 3 point shooters in school history. You know he's going to blow up eventually.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I love bohannon blowing the doors off the second half last night and setting the 3's record after how much hate has been spewed his way this year. I mean, he's one of the best 3 point shooters in school history. You know he's going to blow up eventually.
I'd take a bunch of games in a row of 4 made three pointers from him instead of one game where he goes nuts and hits 6 or 7 or more, but then only averages like 1.25 makes per game for a fairly significant stretch.

A little more consistency would be nice. Is all.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
This is a cop out answer but both. We scrimmaged them a few times both his soph and junior years. Both kids were 6’3” ish and skinny but kinda athletic.

But they both have put in a ton of work both on their games and in the weight room. Growing another 4-5” was the kicker though. That took them to the level they’re at now.
what are your thoughts on Kris? In the limited times Ive seen him on TV he looks just as athletic is Keegan but didn't have the same mindset, if that makes any sense.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
If Iowa is going to contend for the doosh title, he'll need to be a scoring threat. Opens everything up. CJ, Joe and Jordan all clicking is what we all envisioned to start the season.

He should also get credit for playing solid defense for most of the game.

Reaction score
If Iowa is going to contend for the doosh title, he'll need to be a scoring threat. Opens everything up. CJ, Joe and Jordan all clicking is what we all envisioned to start the season.

He should also get credit for playing solid defense for most of the game.
All true. I just don't get why the best shooter in school history is getting shit on this year for not popping 6 3's a game. Shocking that some dumb fucks (Zaius) exist in our fan base.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
Any zone that results in your slow-footed center somewhat regularly closing out on three point shooters on the wing/corner should probably be scrapped.

I’d be interested in seeing the points per possession when Iowa is in zone, because it seems like they are much worse in zone than in man.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
All true. I just don't get why the best shooter in school history is getting shit on this year for not popping 6 3's a game. Shocking that some dumb fucks (Zaius) exist in our fan base.
I think he has mostly been shit on for being almost worthless in every other aspect of the game. It’s much more apparent when he’s not hitting 4-6 3s in a game.

As mentioned above, his effort on defense was much better last night though.

Reaction score
I think he has mostly been shit on for being almost worthless in every other aspect of the game. It’s much more apparent when he’s not hitting 4-6 3s in a game.

As mentioned above, his effort on defense was much better last night though.
He made some good penetration and passing last night too. Maybe he just shedding the rust.