**Official 2016 Iowa Football Season Thread**

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Who else is on that list? Let's hear it.
Tim Dwight
CJ Fiedorowicz
Brandon Myers
Danan Hughes
Tony Stewart (can't remember if he got hurt in N. Bell's first season)

I don't think Tim Dwight was underutilized. Kick & Punt Returns, ran reverses, threw passes, played d-back/RB as a freshman, played gunner on punts, etc. It wasn't his fault the QB play during that time wasn't the best.
Exactly, not sure what more they could have done with Dwight other than play QB or defense.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Tim Dwight
CJ Fiedorowicz
Brandon Myers
Danan Hughes
Tony Stewart (can't remember if he got hurt in N. Bell's first season)

I don't think Tim Dwight was underutilized. Kick & Punt Returns, ran reverses, threw passes, played d-back/RB as a freshman, played gunner on punts, etc. It wasn't his fault the QB play during that time wasn't the best.
Exactly, not sure what more they could have done with Dwight other than play QB or defense.
Why didn't he?!?! Matt Sherman sucked!@?!?!?!!!!

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Daniels is a damn good running back. He isn't close to average. You'll likely see "average" when Iowa trots out Toks next year at RB1. Given Iowa's horrible passing game, the fact that both Wadley and Daniels averaged over 5 YPC is remarkable.

Ignoring the statistics, which basically take a giant steaming shit on Hounded's argument, who's to say that one of the reasons Wadley was so effective was that they didn't run him into the ground?

If you want to argue about how they were used, fine. Watch the 3 and 4 run near the goal line. Bo Jackson isn't scoring on that play. That isn't on Daniels. That's on GDGD.
Toks is average? You basing that off his whopping 16 carries this season?

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Excluding his freshman year, Dwight averaged about a touchdown per game. That's pretty good.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
WTF is @douglasbader waiting for?? Shouldn't the Official Offseason thread have been started by now?

Reaction score
That stats take no such dump on my argument. Wadley gets 27% less carries yet gains 28% more per carry. Daniels is good, but Wadley is a better back and shouldn't be taking a back seat to him.

I'm not backing off on Wadley should have got more touches this year. It's asinine to argue against it.
The stats take a dump on your argument because we're talking about marginal increments. If we gave EVERY Daniels carry to Wadley, and Wadley kept his average, Iowa winds up with 300 more yards on the season.
Your stats are all hypothetical. Who knows what happens if Wadley gets even 50% more carries than he got per game.

Bringing stats that aren't really stats don't make that great of an argument either.

Fuck Greg Davis right in the ass. It's amazing Iowa had as many rushing yards as they did with that dumbfuck calling the plays.
Lol. At some point you have to use data.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
The stats take a dump on your argument because we're talking about marginal increments. If we gave EVERY Daniels carry to Wadley, and Wadley kept his average, Iowa winds up with 300 more yards on the season.
Your stats are all hypothetical. Who knows what happens if Wadley gets even 50% more carries than he got per game.

Bringing stats that aren't really stats don't make that great of an argument either.

Fuck Greg Davis right in the ass. It's amazing Iowa had as many rushing yards as they did with that dumbfuck calling the plays.
Lol. At some point you have to use data.
Correct

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Looking at his stats, he averaged touching the ball 4.5 times on offense per game his last 3 years. I don't think that was enough.

Having him on the punt coverage team was really dumb (although he almost killed some guys)

Reaction score
Looking at his stats, he averaged touching the ball 4.5 times on offense per game his last 3 years. I don't think that was enough.

Having him on the punt coverage team was really dumb (although he almost killed some guys)

They also had Tavian Banks and Sedrick Shaw (Iowa's All-Time Leading Rusher). The problem with utilizing Dwight was with the QB play.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Obviously Wadley cannot handle the workload of carrying the ball 350 times but he could have been on the field a lot more. If nothing else used as a decoy split out to keep the defense honest. A lack of imagination has become a trademark.

And Mitchell has proven he can play.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score

They also had Tavian Banks and Sedrick Shaw (Iowa's All-Time Leading Rusher). The problem with utilizing Dwight was with the QB play.
When you have the most dynamic open field runner in Iowa history, you can be inventive and get him the ball more. There are ways to do it. I realize Sherman sucked, but they probably could have given him some more carries at RB, more screens, etc. I realize the knock on him was that he was small, but he probably would have done fine at RB for 4-5 carries.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score

When you have the most dynamic open field runner in Iowa history, you can be inventive and get him the ball more. There are ways to do it. I realize Sherman sucked, but they probably could have given him some more carries at RB, more screens, etc. I realize the knock on him was that he was small, but he probably would have done fine at RB for 4-5 carries.
If I remember right, they did do plenty of WR reverse /End Around with Dwight. They also ran many with Dwight as the decoy.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
If I remember right, they did do plenty of WR reverse /End Around with Dwight. They also ran many with Dwight as the decoy.
Very first play of the '97 season was a sweep to Banks who faked the reverse to Dwight then took it to the Hizzouse!!!

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
Greg Davis is so fucking bad we're arguing about someone possibly being misused by Iowa 20 years ago.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Greg Davis is so fucking bad we're arguing about someone possibly being misused by Iowa 20 years ago.
Because there is no argument with GD. We are all in agreement that he sucks.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Dwight would have thrived in the GD horizontal passing attack

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
not even AZ loves and defends Greg anymore.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
Wadley may have deserved a few more carries but I'm fine with the split and I'm not sure if it would have made a difference much on the season. The problem is still the passing game. Our 5th highest receiver only played in 4 games this year. Our second leading pass catcher was Wadley. Our three TEs combined for 33 catches and 389 yards.

Iowa is ahead of only Rutgers in conference passing. The are 12th in first downs and 12th in third down conversion. You could argue that giving Wadley more touches could have increased first downs and 3rd down percentage but the inability to develop any sort of passing game trumps the Wadley/Daniels argument, imo

Riley fucking McCarron lead the team with 42 catches for 517 yards (including a 77 yard TD), good for 18th in the conference. Nobody else on the team cracks the top 40. On a national scale 218 players had more yards than McCarron. Wadley (315 yards) and Smith/Kittle (both with 314 yards) ranked 419th and 422nd nationally

In 2011 (KOK final year) McNutt led the B10 with 1315 yards. Keenan Davis was 9th with 713 yards and KMM 27th with 323 yards.
In 2010 McNutt (5th in conference) had 861 yards, DJK (11th) had 745 and Reisner (22nd) had 460.

The highest number of yards a WR has had under Davis was in 2015 with Vandenberg had 700, good for 14th in the conference. Smith was south of 600 yards in 2014 and 2015.

Usually the top WR in the GDGD Iowa offense gets between 500-600 yards (in 2013 KMM was our leading WR with 388 yards PUKE) but in this day of college offenses the passing game dialed up by Greg Fucking Davis is an abomination.
I was just quietly reading this thread not really pissed.

I read this post and it sums up GDGD perfectly.

Now I am a combination of pissed and sad.