**Official 2018 Iowa Football Season Thread**

Hawk4Life25

LIAR and SCUMBAG
Reaction score
Ryen Russillo had Todd McShay on one of his podcasts last week talking draft shit and he started going over the QBs and said something like "Nate Stanley is another one.....will likely be going back to school next year but will be very underrated looking at next year's draft.....could be second or third round."

I like Nate but just don't see it.

Granted this is coming from the man who once had Mitch Leidner as a first round pick at one point.
He looks like a NFL QB....in a normal program that develops QBs he could reach that potential but I don't have a lot of faith in KOK/BF.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
I think we should rehash this again because we haven't done it enough already and we won't certainly be doing it over and over again next year.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Ryen Russillo had Todd McShay on one of his podcasts last week talking draft shit and he started going over the QBs and said something like "Nate Stanley is another one.....will likely be going back to school next year but will be very underrated looking at next year's draft.....could be second or third round."

Granted this is coming from the man who once had Mitch Leidner as a first round pick at one point.
He looks like a NFL QB....in a normal program that develops QBs he could reach that potential but I don't have a lot of faith in KOK/BF.
Clearly, given that our prior two QBs are in the NFL

Harlan

Reaction score

*three

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

sadly those two were coached by Greg Davis which gives him two more quarterbacks in the NFL that have thrown passes in regular season games than Ken O'Keefe

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score

He’s got the physical abilities, but appears to be a habitual pants shitter anytime the pocket is not perfectly clean.
Or when no defender is even in visual distance from him and his receiver has thirty yards of separation.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
Get the fuck out of here. Some dude who never even took off his redshirt under no circumstances qualifies as "our qb".

Bob

Reaction score
Just guessing that spending three years with one of the best offensive coaches alive played a slightly bigger role in Shimonek's development than his one redshirt year with Greg Davis as the like 4th string QB

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Doug is right. Nate was shitting his pants well before the thumb injury.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
Nate was decent to pretty good this year. And we ask our QBs to do infinitely more than most other programs. So, yeah, he shits his pants on occasion. Playing in our system will end up being a net positive for him, not a net negative.

Given his size and arm strength, I think 2-3rd round is pretty realistic for him

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
All QBs regress their senior season at Iowa. They get “neutered” I think is the most common description I’ve seen posted here.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Nate was decent to pretty good this year. And we ask our QBs to do infinitely more than most other programs. So, yeah, he shits his pants on occasion. Playing in our system will end up being a net positive for him, not a net negative.

Given his size and arm strength, I think 2-3rd round is pretty realistic for him
I've heard this repeated a few times. What exactly does Iowa require of their quarterbacks than most other schools don't?

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score

I've heard this repeated a few times. What exactly does Iowa require of their quarterbacks than most other schools don't?
Checks into the boundary I believe.

sergeanthulka

Reaction score

Read defenses, make checks at LOS, make protection adj's...

Bob

Reaction score
And we ask our QBs to do infinitely more than most other programs. So, yeah, he shits his pants on occasion. Playing in our system will end up being a net positive for him, not a net negative.
You have to really go out of your way to ignore what is happening in the NFL to smugly declare that Iowa's system (which has produced all of one QB who attempted a NFL pass in the last like 30 years) is better NFL prep than most teams.

Basically everyone in the league who knows what they're doing now is running spread concepts. It's not 1997.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

Read defenses, make checks at LOS, make protection adj's...
I'm surprised this isn't pretty standard

sergeanthulka

Reaction score
And we ask our QBs to do infinitely more than most other programs. So, yeah, he shits his pants on occasion. Playing in our system will end up being a net positive for him, not a net negative.
You have to really go out of your way to ignore what is happening in the NFL to smugly declare that Iowa's system (which has produced all of one QB who attempted a NFL pass in the last like 30 years) is better NFL prep than most teams.

Basically everyone in the league who knows what they're doing now is running spread concepts. It's not 1997.
The Hawks run some spread concepts, too.

The comment relative to what we require of Stanley has more to do with why - at times - he shits his pants (not as much why he's going to be better prepped for the NFL...which he will be). He's processing a lot more at the LOS than your typical spread/check with me QB is doing. It makes him look like a retard, at times.

Bob

Reaction score
Man we have like one check. Defensive players have actively pointed to the exact hole we are going to run to upon seeing that there was an audible. I don't think it requires Peyton Manning.

I think there is probably a lot more of that required by other teams anymore too. Guys like DeShaun Watson or Baker Mayfield did not exactly look unprepared for the NFL

sergeanthulka

Reaction score
Man we have like one check.
Somewhat true. The checks are limited. But there's not just one...like the goalline check at PSU that ended in disaster. That wasn't just changing inside zone left to inside zone right...

But this is true in the NFL, as well. The QB doesn't have the entire playbook to check to. They have a small handful.

Match34

Is Not Funny
Reaction score
Don't forget that Iowa QB's take a lot more snaps from under center than most of their peers and that's worth, like, two draft spots.

sergeanthulka

Reaction score

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
I've never thought I'd use a neti pot but this advertising has me rethinking that

SmartSelect_20181218-091130_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Bob

Reaction score
Dwayne Haskins is probably going to be one of the first two QBs drafted

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Interesting that the most prolific Iowa offense in Kirk's tenure was rumored to have been completely dumbed down so the QB had to think less.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Man we have like one check. Defensive players have actively pointed to the exact hole we are going to run to upon seeing that there was an audible. I don't think it requires Peyton Manning.

I think there is probably a lot more of that required by other teams anymore too. Guys like DeShaun Watson or Baker Mayfield did not exactly look unprepared for the NFL
Oh my gosh he’s being serious

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Sometimes I think that's the issue with Stanley. It's been reported he studies endlessly and I think it's a classic case of a kid thinking too hard and not simply playing.

They might be better off simplifying it

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
I'm just glad I proved AZ right that Stanley will NOT be going to the draft this year

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Reaction score
Losing Gervase alone introduces a need for change in how the defensive backfield looks going into next year.

CB options: Hankins, Brents, Moss, OJ, DJ Johnson
FS options: Stone, Milani, Hooker, Craddieth
SS options: Stone/Hooker, Merriweather, Craddieth
Star options: Hooker, OJ, Merriweather, DJ Johnson?

There are a bunch of different variations that I could see the coaches going with, it really depends on how the young guys develop over the next 8 months. I wouldn't even be shocked to see Hooker back at SS with OJ or Merriweather at star. Merriweather seems like he was recruited specifically to play that position.

Reaction score
Isn't that the spot hooker plays? Might mean he's gone too
If there is one thing we know for sure about the game of football, it's that coaches never have more than one player practice/play a position at a time.
Not sure NLP was saying that.
There has been speculation for months about OJ ending up at safety next year. This is not a locked in starter moving to a different position, OJ is on the brink of losing his starting CB spot. They are just trying to find a spot for him that plays to his strengths.

Bob

Reaction score
Craddeith seems like he'd fit the Star spot a lot better than Johnson. I think they move Ojemudia to either star or safety and Johnson is the third or fourth corner. Phil talked him up a lot once he was healthy.

Merriweather seems like a guy they recruited specifically to play Star (if I watched his high school tape without knowing his position I'd have assumed he was a linebacker recruit), but Ojemudia would be a good one year stopgap. He's huge for a corner and already plays much more like an undersized linebacker than a corner. It'd let Hooker move back to safety full time too, and while he was really good in the hybrid role this year he's also still probably the best safety on the roster.

Harlan

Reaction score
So we have a good idea who will be at Star. How about Mike, Leo, and Will?

Reaction score
Craddeith seems like he'd fit the Star spot a lot better than Johnson. I think they move Ojemudia to either star or safety and Johnson is the third or fourth corner. Phil talked him up a lot once he was healthy.

Merriweather seems like a guy they recruited specifically to play Star (if I watched his high school tape without knowing his position I'd have assumed he was a linebacker recruit), but Ojemudia would be a good one year stopgap. He's huge for a corner and already plays much more like an undersized linebacker than a corner. It'd let Hooker move back to safety full time too, and while he was really good in the hybrid role this year he's also still probably the best safety on the roster.
I only put Johnson there because he's a bigger CB whose HS tape suggests that he is a physical tackler and he may be stuck behind Hankins/Brents/etc at CB for now. Purely a wild guess on my part.